Subaru WRX Forum banner

Grounding Mod

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ox_engr 
#1 ·
Has anyone done the grounding mod to their car and what were your results? I heard the Lineage grounding kit gave people around 7 to 20hp but i'm not sure if it's true.

#4 ·
I did the grounding mod. I noticed that the car ran alot smoother after I finished. I used black 4&8 gauge wire, I hid a distributer block by the intercooler that led to 4 locations, the 5th location has a wire running from the intercooler to the pass strut tower.

no pics of this one, you barely see it.

#6 ·
I agree with you about the wire size. An aircraft mechanic showed me how thin most of the wiring on a jet airplane he was working on was, when I told him about the 4 ga. power/ground wire on my car stereo was. He said 8 ga. would have been more than enough. I might do the grounding mod with 8ga. since I've got some laying around, and see if I notice a diference with my butt dyno!

#12 ·
Basic ohms laws here to do with the parallel resistance.
If you have 2 resistors in parallel of the same value, the total resistance seen is exactly half, not double. Therefore if you have more than one connection to a given grounding point, ie in parallel to the original, the earth or ground side of any sensors will be closer to ground, giving you, A, cleaner signal integrety, B, more of the full range of the sensor output voltage swing, you are not referencing from just above ground, you are referencing from ground.
The same idea of parallel resistance works with cable diameters. Think of it this way, the larger the cable diameter the more area the same amount of electricity has to travel so it has an easier time of circumnavigating impurities and higher resistance areas. Example is spark plug wires, everyone wants the largest diameter possible.

Elecricity is like water, it always trys to find the easiest path to travel.

Gold plated connectors work to a point. Mainly, the gold is used for signal intergety, such as on in car hifi, or data connectors on computer motherboards etc etc where a bad connection will induce distortion or corrupt data. If you can seal from water and other contaminates, the best connector to use is pure copper.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.