Grounding Mod - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-14-2003, 11:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

SWRX0983 is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to SWRX0983
Grounding Mod

Has anyone done the grounding mod to their car and what were your results? I heard the Lineage grounding kit gave people around 7 to 20hp but i'm not sure if it's true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-20-2003, 10:58 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWRX0983 is an unknown
Has any done it?
#3 Old 05-20-2003, 01:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
You can do the same thing cheaply by going to a place that sells 4, 2, or 1 gauge wire and getting some eyelets. From what I've read you can expect a peak hp increase of 5 or so.
#4 Old 05-27-2003, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

pmartell12 is an unknown
Send a message via Yahoo to pmartell12
I did the grounding mod. I noticed that the car ran alot smoother after I finished. I used black 4&8 gauge wire, I hid a distributer block by the intercooler that led to 4 locations, the 5th location has a wire running from the intercooler to the pass strut tower.

no pics of this one, you barely see it.

I hope that my tails didn't blind ya as you was schooled, foo!
#5 Old 05-27-2003, 06:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Th3Franz is an unknown
Anything larger than 4 gauge (ie 2 gauge, 1 gauge, etc) is overkill in my opinion.

-Franz

f0 sh0
#6 Old 05-31-2003, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

Pinkeye is an unknown
I agree with you about the wire size. An aircraft mechanic showed me how thin most of the wiring on a jet airplane he was working on was, when I told him about the 4 ga. power/ground wire on my car stereo was. He said 8 ga. would have been more than enough. I might do the grounding mod with 8ga. since I've got some laying around, and see if I notice a diference with my butt dyno!
#7 Old 06-01-2003, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Aircraft wiring is a completely different material.

The greater the diameter of wire, the least resistance. Go with the biggest diameter every time. If you are going to the trouble to decrease the resistance to ground, why would you skimp on diameter?
#8 Old 06-01-2003, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Th3Franz is an unknown
4 gauge diameter is skimping? I hope not. :eek:

-Franz

f0 sh0
#9 Old 06-02-2003, 11:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

SWRX0983 is an unknown
did anyone who did the grounding mod lose their gains? I heard that the ecu will learn what you did and go back to how it was without the grounds. Like the car doesn't run as smooth as when you first put it in and stuff like that.
#10 Old 06-02-2003, 04:47 PM

Gerlando is an unknown
The only gains I felt was a smoother idle. I haven't seen anyone with dyno proof grounding will get you anything other then that. Remember,.. never trust the butt dyno!

-Gerlando.
www.enjoydeals.com

-Gerlando.
<a href=http://www.script-install.com>Script-Install.com</a> | <a href=http://www.enjoychuck.com>EnjoyChuck</a>
#11 Old 06-04-2003, 06:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Suberman is an unknown
I have an issue of Import Tuner which tests this with a dyno, they say it works, I don't have it infront of me at the moment, but i can quote it once I find it.

It's a Bird! It's a Plane! No. it's Suberman!
#12 Old 06-04-2003, 08:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

ScoobySnax is more helpful than not
Basic ohms laws here to do with the parallel resistance.
If you have 2 resistors in parallel of the same value, the total resistance seen is exactly half, not double. Therefore if you have more than one connection to a given grounding point, ie in parallel to the original, the earth or ground side of any sensors will be closer to ground, giving you, A, cleaner signal integrety, B, more of the full range of the sensor output voltage swing, you are not referencing from just above ground, you are referencing from ground.
The same idea of parallel resistance works with cable diameters. Think of it this way, the larger the cable diameter the more area the same amount of electricity has to travel so it has an easier time of circumnavigating impurities and higher resistance areas. Example is spark plug wires, everyone wants the largest diameter possible.

Elecricity is like water, it always trys to find the easiest path to travel.

Gold plated connectors work to a point. Mainly, the gold is used for signal intergety, such as on in car hifi, or data connectors on computer motherboards etc etc where a bad connection will induce distortion or corrupt data. If you can seal from water and other contaminates, the best connector to use is pure copper.
#13 Old 04-12-2004, 02:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

ox_engr is an unknown
i just got the lineage kit. but it didn't come with instructions for locations. for those of you who have done this, where did you locate the hook ups. I don't want to run the trial and error thing to find the best locations.