Good platform for me to upgrade a non-sti to better than an sti - Subaru WRX Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-23-2010, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
Good platform for me to upgrade a non-sti to better than an sti

So most people would say i should get a wrx if i wanted to upgrade. Sure i could finance an STI, but i think a lot of that i would end up getting something better anyways. Slowly but surely there is a lot i would want to do to it. I test drove a 2010 wrx today and man, that car is amazing. I also drove a VW GTI and was very impressed as well. So i have been researching for a while now and decided that i could afford a used wrx or legacy. I know the new legacy comes in a 6 speed which i love, but am not sure about the older years. Would it be better to make a full tuner out of the wrx or legacy gt, manual of course. What i like about the gt is the leather and more luxury interior. I found a used wrx with a rebuilt motor in it that has 7k miles. The car's total has 136k. He has documentation to prove this from a factory dealer. He wants $8k for it and i am pretty sure i am going to buy it tomorrow morning. Its a bug eye 2002. Just wanted to make sure it is the right platform for me to build off of. I appreciate the input guys.

*not some kid trying to race and beat sti's

Last edited by Norcalmatt; 02-24-2010 at 01:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
It depends how hard and how much you plan to modify it. If you're going big. A STI is a better platform to upgrade off of. Seeing as how the trans and drivetrain is a bit beefer than the WRX. It really shouldn't be that hard of a answer to see. The small things add up in the long run.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#3 Old 02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
what sti do you want to beat? a 2009/2010 wrx is already faster then a 2008-2010 sti!! there lighter and better geared tranny with less shifts, but the 5 speed is kinda weak. some 09 wrxs are running 12.9-13.3. the sti runs 13.3. o ya and the wrx is $10,000 cheaper!

now if your looking at used im not all about the 2.0 wrxs. they need a lot to gain power and with equal mods and money spent your not going to see the same numbers as the 2.5. you just cant compete with a bigger motor on torque and power. even if you bought a turbo ect the 2.5 will still pump out more.

first figure out your goals and what you want to spend for thoughs goals. then find the car you want.
#4 Old 02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
my goal

I know and like the 2.5 better. The only reason i am looking at this car with the 2.0 is because it fits nicely in my budget. I cannot find a 2.5 motor with reasonable miles anywhere. I guess what i was trying to get out of this car is no more than probably 350hp. I am planning on buying an sti in a few years when i have a better paying job and was only looking at this car for the low miles as well as the price. What do you guys think? and thanks for the help
#5 Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
by the way

What year did the 2.5 come out in the wrx? Thanks again guys.
#6 Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

well it sounds like your set then. cheap car, low low miles what else you need? to get to 350whp your gonna need bigger turbo and supporting mods and it should be no problem. gonna be about couple thousand dollars but 350 shouldnt be that hard. running E85 should get you there and cheaper.

06 i believe
#7 Old 02-23-2010, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
e85?!

You are talking about eh flex fuel gas right? Thats crazy if you are, i had no idea. Please tell me more. Do you think it is wise to buy this car for 8k$? Blue book on the car with only 7k miles was 10k$ and with the actual miles it was about 7 i think.
#8 Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
oil currently in it

I was thinking, if the guy who is running this car right now is only using the reccomended oil. Since it only has 7k miles on it, would it be ok to switch to full synthetic? That is, IF he is not already doing so. I wanted to run full synth in it for multiple reasons except cost.
#9 Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

ya or corn fuel or basically alcohol. has an octane close to 105 so you can run more boost and stay away from detonation. it also runs cooler which the motors love so they make more power. also cheaper then gas and better for the enviornment. down sides are it burns 30% more/faster so you fill up more so you really dont save money. also you need bigger more expensive injectors to flow 30% more. but HP can see 20-30 from the fuel alone and TQ like 30-40.

as for the car if the motor really only has 7k on it and its right in between the actual miles and what the motor has on it 8k doesnt sound bad to me.

oils hear say. run whatever you want. i use mobil 1 full synthetic but from what its made of its like 3rd on the synthetic scale. redline which i just bought is number 1 with polyo ester but is double the price. again run whatever you want.
#10 Old 02-24-2010, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
E85

I have been reading all about the E85 conversion and found this page E85 fuel FAQ - NASIOC and its mostly specific to my car! Woot, this sounds amazing, especially because it reduces change for detonation.
#11 Old 02-24-2010, 12:24 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
what sti do you want to beat? a 2009/2010 wrx is already faster then a 2008-2010 sti!! there lighter and better geared tranny with less shifts, but the 5 speed is kinda weak. some 09 wrxs are running 12.9-13.3. the sti runs 13.3. o ya and the wrx is $10,000 cheaper!
*YAWN*

STi shifts into third at about 55mph. It's considerably faster than an 09 WRX from 0-55 but from 0-56 to about 0-65, the WRX is slightly faster. And then falls behind again. I can do a better 1/4 mile in a bycycle than my grandma would in a ferarri, your comparison is bench racing, against the rules, and meaningless. Subaru quotes 1/4 mile times for both cars, and the STi is faster.

Course, as has been said on here 100x over, the STi is not about drag racing. The 6-speed is extremely poorly suited to 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs. If that is the sole measure of your desires in a car, definitely don't get an STi. For that matter, a WRX is also an exceedingly poor choice. A $3,000 civic with a turbo and drag slicks is going to destroy you in any straight line contest. for 1/10th your cost. An upgraded suby will be roasted by a 50 year old nova with a kit engine, a good rear end, and proper tires. AWD and small displacement are not good attributes in a drag car.

Summation: If you want to beat a certain car, you probably should have bought that car in the first place. Bench racing is for juveniles. Set your own goals and build for your own purposes, not to claim to be "faster than X" or "more powerful than Y".

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Norcalmatt is an unknown
wow

I did not mean to make you guys think i was trying to race an sti and beat it. Let alone drag other cars and beat them. I love the twistys i commute on and want to build this car to be a fun commuter car that i can mess around in if i get an urge for speed. The comparison of "faster than an sti" is only based on the fact that i have driven both of them, as well as a supped up wrx with 400whp. I am not some kid wanted to waste money to beat other cars at some track. By the way, that 3k civic will need a new engine shortly after the parts are installed.
#13 Old 02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcalmatt View Post
What year did the 2.5 come out in the wrx? Thanks again guys.
Since I didn't see anybody else answer this one: the WRX started coming from the factory with the 2.5L engine in 2006.

John
07 WRX
#14 Old 02-24-2010, 11:18 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
*YAWN*

STi shifts into third at about 55mph. It's considerably faster than an 09 WRX from 0-55 but from 0-56 to about 0-65, the WRX is slightly faster. And then falls behind again. I can do a better 1/4 mile in a bycycle than my grandma would in a ferarri, your comparison is bench racing, against the rules, and meaningless. Subaru quotes 1/4 mile times for both cars, and the STi is faster.

Course, as has been said on here 100x over, the STi is not about drag racing. The 6-speed is extremely poorly suited to 0-60 and 1/4 mile runs. If that is the sole measure of your desires in a car, definitely don't get an STi. For that matter, a WRX is also an exceedingly poor choice. A $3,000 civic with a turbo and drag slicks is going to destroy you in any straight line contest. for 1/10th your cost. An upgraded suby will be roasted by a 50 year old nova with a kit engine, a good rear end, and proper tires. AWD and small displacement are not good attributes in a drag car.

Summation: If you want to beat a certain car, you probably should have bought that car in the first place. Bench racing is for juveniles. Set your own goals and build for your own purposes, not to claim to be "faster than X" or "more powerful than Y".
first i wasnt talking about subaru quotes. i was talking about real world real people and the fastest sti's run low 13's. so does the new wrx, even dipping into the 12's so forget what "subaru" says about 1/4's. your right the sti is not ment for drag racing but the OP said he wanted it faster...so where the hell else you gonna find that out?? you dumb enough to race on the street?? maybe me and the OP arent so there...1/4 it is.

as for the civic comment i had a 300hp turbo 99 SI, guess what? all the tires in the world couldnt get that car to hook up. 12.7-12.8 best i could do. wrx out of the box is right there! stage 2, boom its beat.
#15 Old 02-24-2010, 01:48 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Again, I will warn that bench racing is against the rules of this site. Speculating about how fast "real world real people" are in the quarter mile is directly a violation of the rules.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
Closed Thread