Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Gas Consumption (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/gas-consumption-33499/)

VANY 01-17-2013 03:13 PM

Gas Consumption

Hello, RX tuners!
I am a new Subaru owner, I dont do any racing at all but I love fast cars particularly STI's. I was able to purchase a 07 Impreza WRX and that's fine with me! Im a daily driver, at least 70m a day, work to home, its a lot...and this is where my thread begins...i burn liked at least $180/wk of gas and according to some of my friends who has the same car, you have to be an aggressive driver, to save gas:confused: huh??? meaning, that I have to reach 3000rpm/shift so, that the turbo kicks in and apparently, it burns less gas than a normal driving. Does this makes sense to anybody there? any inputs will be much appreciated, thanks guys! and enjoy your Subies as much as i enjoy mine!!!

brfatal 01-17-2013 03:17 PM

Your friend is stupid. Be sure to disregard anything he says related to cars in the future.

You said how much you spend, but you didn't say what kind of gas mileage you're getting and what type of driving you do.

VANY 01-17-2013 03:30 PM

[quote=brfatal;289825]Your friend is stupid. Be sure to disregard anything he says related to cars in the future.

You said how much you spend, but you didn't say what kind of gas mileage you're getting and what type of driving you do.[/quote]

that's what I thought! as my calculation, 25m/g. I do daily driving work to home about 70m/day. i spent $80/wk. sorry, typo on the first one!

brfatal 01-17-2013 05:49 PM

25 mpg is exceptionally good. I haven't seen that high since a long road trip (no city miles) before they introduced E10, which killed my gas mileage by 10-20%. Most modified WRX see 20 mpg to a tank.

Fidrat 01-17-2013 06:00 PM

[quote=brfatal;289825]Your friend is stupid. Be sure to disregard anything he says related to cars in the future.[/quote]

Bahahaha!!!ROFL Your killin' me!!!ROFL You don't know how many times I've wanted to say that to a lot of people!

VANY,I do the same thing. I have about a 60 mi round trip to work and back at 55-65 mph;) And I get between 25-22 mpg. Somtimes as low as 19mpg depending on how spunky I feel. Or how broke I am.

detrails01 01-17-2013 06:13 PM

Bored, just wanted ta chime in.
Since your turbo is powered by exhaust, it is constantly running. Its only when you start boosting that it murders the mpg's. keeping shifts under 3000 rpm will def improve gas mileage since youre not really boosting but keeping rpms low saves gas in any vehicle really. Turbos will actually help improve fuel economy at low rpm ranges. A lot of car manufacturers are fitting vehicles with turbos just for fuel economy alone. But they are programmed much different than WRX. Cant complain with 25mpg for a car like that. It's always nice to get better gas mileage but its hard to drive that slow sometimes. :)

brfatal 01-17-2013 07:08 PM

Tell you friend you decided to run diesel in your tank just to test it out and that you got 37 mpg and that it ran perfect. Then recommend that he try it.

For the record, as soon as you enter boost your gas consumption skyrockets. The better you stay out of boost, the better your gas mileage should be.

Fidrat 01-17-2013 07:22 PM

[quote=brfatal;289842]Tell you friend you decided to run diesel in your tank just to test it out and that you got 37 mpg and that it ran perfect. Then recommend that he try it.[/quote]

Stop it, stop it!!ROFL yer gonna' make me pee myself!ROFL

I have a stock boost gauge. I found if I keep it on the zero I get my best MPG.

BLAZE2099 01-17-2013 10:16 PM

Holy sh*t Justin! Hahaha...FOL!!!

OP- stay out of boost= save money;)

RINGY91 01-21-2013 04:59 PM

Come on guys every one knows the best MPG gain is when you pushing over 95MPH and gunning it off the line at every red light....AHAHAHAHA!! :D