Subaru WRX Forum banner

Found a WRX - has motor issues, please read.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AllExtinct 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

As the title says, I found a WRX. It's in good shape - has a cracked side skirt and that's pretty much it.

It is a 2010 265HP sedan 5 speed standard in my favorite color, white. The issue, the motor has a knock. I know it does, the owner knows it does, and he basically willing to give this car away for next to nothing (in my opinion). I've checked out the rest, body/brakes, suspension all tight. Also the turbo was replaced less than a year ago under factory extended warranty - so a new OEM turbo was just put in it.

It has 85xxx miles on it, and he is willing to part with it for just under 10 grand - legitimately a steal of a price in my part of the world (Eastern Canada).

My question, should I simply have the motor rebuilt back to spec? I was quoted around 2500-3000$ to have it rebuilt back to the way it was. Or should I buy another motor all together, or maybe put an STI motor in it? I heard of some people putting an STi shortblock in our cars and that it worked well. Downside to upgrade is there are absolutely no AWD dyno's within 12 hours of me (in any direction) - so getting it proper tune could be difficult.

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
Couple things,

First off 10k for a properly running 2010 WRX is a steal. Assuming you have to do an engine rebuild with mostly OE equivalent parts you should plan on investing another 2-4 grand in the car so I would calculate that into the price. If you are comfortable dropping 10k on a project car then its a good deal but I would start by paying someone in your area who knows subarus ( either a tuner or fellow forum member ) and have them go over the car before you put that kind of money into it.

With some luck the knock is being caused by a poor tune and a reflash to a more conservative or appropriate tune might kncok out some of that know - pardon the pun.

As far as tuning is concerned there are a number of very reliable e-tuners who can work with you over the internet. Eric at torqued performance for example is fantastic. You take logs with rom raider or an accessport and he sends you map revisions same day in most cases.

hope that helps

#3 ·
This will be my second WRX - my first being an 08, so I had a good go over of it, and mechanically it is in reasonable shape.

My question really was more of a what to do with the motor, go back to OEM specs or build it for the same money (if I can). I.e. a mild cam etc. Or is it even worth it. In my short search I only found that people have instead gone with an STi shortblock.

As for the knock, I'm not certain, but this fellow ran a cobb intake, with no tune, and I'm sure that played a role in its current condition.

Thanks,

#4 ·
Oh then if its going to be a project car whats your intended use? If you are looking for a car for the wife or for the kids then build it back to stock and put 150k more miles on it. If you plan on tracking it then a rebuild is in order.

You can find used STi Shortblocks that are pretty affordable and that would make a solid platform to work on if you want a daily driver thats also a bit more capable than the stock wrx. If you are building a track car then I would have your tuner open up the existing block and go from there. Depending on the damage level you could do pistons, rods, cam and fueling and make some very respectable power without spending a ton of money ( that is if the block itself is OK ).

#6 ·
I don't want an all out "track car"

That being said, I do want something better than your average bear - and I mean over and above Cobb Stage 2+.

And I was just thinking I could A) Rebuild it from bottom to top for 3-3.5k Or for an extra 1-1.5k I could add some goodies, mild cam, upgraded pistons/rings etc. But I don't know if that would add the power worth that investment?

Ideally, if I purchased this car I would want around 330-350 AWHP. Because at that price I could throw in another 6-7k in modifications and maintenance, but that would include exhaust, programmer, upgraded TMIC or FMIC - and build the motor a bit.

But I don't know if that is attainable.

Thanks,

#7 ·
I have just recently installed an engine in my wrx It has a ej205
OEM ej205 short block
OEM master gasket kit (includes valve cover gaskets)
OEM 11mm oil pump
OEM oil cooler
ARP head stud set
for a grand total of- $2558.37
I still had to get heads done. This car is all stock and runs good
From what I am guessing you have ej257 the short blocks cost a little more...Outfront motorsports has a listing here might be an option that has some upgrades
Outfront Motorsports EJ257 Shortblock with Forged Internals EJ25 STI WRX EJ255 | eBay

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.