Found a 2005 WRX for sale but don't know if it is a good buy. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-25-2013, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

ostinpwrs12 is an unknown
Found a 2005 WRX for sale but don't know if it is a good buy.

I live in Iowa and there are no fun manual cars for sale anywhere near where I live. A 2005 WRX is new to a dealership in town; it is blue with with minor hail damage, slight rusting on a rear wheel well, and its interior is in very nice shape. It has 102,000 miles, aftermarket air intake and exhaust with an additional tachometer installed. It also has a custom radio and gear lever. The current price is $9,905, 3-4 thousand less than the Kelly Blue Book value. With cars like this the dealer said they put the price low and send it to an auction if it sits more than 30 days. My dad has driven it and briefly inspected it, he said it drives well but has a small oil smell. Past that we have not been able to further inspect the mechanics of the car. Is the rust and hail damage going to be a big problem in the future? Are the aftermarket parts and mileage an issue? What else do indeed to know when considering buying the car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

NeverSummer is more helpful than not
Found a 2005 WRX for sale but don't know if it is a good buy.

Get a compression and leak down test. Kbb is very high. That's why it's under. As far as the hail damage, that wouldn't bother me. How bad is the rust? Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
#3 Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 AM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
Can you get a pic or link to the car so we can look at it? The hail is only cosmetic, if you can live with it... no problem. I wouldn't think the rust would cause a problem if it is only cosmetic. Again, if it doesn't bother you, no problem. Get a Carfax so you can see where it has been and how many ppl have owned it.
Have a mechanic check it out! Better safe than sorry.
Also, what dealer is it at. I purchased a car in Des Monies and it was a piece of crap. Found out there were lots of problems when I got back to MN. Learned my lesson there.
Good luck!
#4 Old 03-26-2013, 07:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

http://m.cars.com/mcs/projects/cars/...d=112964817&t=

Hopefully the link works. Can have a mechanic look at it without putting an accepted offer and have the mechanics results allow you to pull out or not. Probably can have the dealership lift it up for us to make a rust inspection. Car fax says it had 3 owners with no problems submitted to the insurance companies. With the low price compared to the kbb value I'm wondering if the difference in price will cover future fixes still keeping it a good deal for the money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#5 Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
no engine bay pics?
#6 Old 03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Gave up on 2005 but found a 2003 with better mileage and seems to be in really good shape from a solid independent seller. Its just 300miles away...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
#7 Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverSummer View Post
Get a compression and leak down test. Kbb is very high. That's why it's under. As far as the hail damage, that wouldn't bother me. How bad is the rust? Good luck

You've said this more than once about KBB. What are you basing this on? And if it is so why don't they seem to know it? Why is it still the most quoted price guide in the universe? It sounds like your a car dealer because only a car dealer trying to get the best price from someone would say that. At least that is the only place Ive heard it from and when I did I promptly went somewhere else. Just wondering...please enlighten me.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#8 Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM
WRXtuners Member

ostin, not sure how many miles are on the 03 but make sure the maintenance has been done. Also the 03 is supposed to have a weaker tranny. On the flip side, my bother had one with no tranny issues and he had 156k on it before he sold it. Try to get links up on the page so we can look at it. TONS of knowledge floating around this site.
Also, there is no reason you cannot bring it to a mechanic of your choosing before purchasing the car.

Last edited by gunk007; 03-27-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: additional info
#9 Old 03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunk007 View Post
Also the 03 is supposed to have a weaker tranny.
WRONG! Some early ones MAY but not all 03s. To be sure look at the transmission code on a plate on the driver side shock tower. Your looking for a "BA" in the code. An "AA" means a weaker tranny.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#10 Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat, What I was trying to tell ostin was... there are some 03's out there with a "weak" tranny. Just good info to know. I love how subtle you are in your posts. You are very easy to talk too.
#11 Old 03-28-2013, 09:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
All the transmissions are weak..... just one is weaker than the other.... they both suck from 02-07 that I know of....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#12 Old 03-28-2013, 09:58 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I don't know why you stopped in 07...

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#13 Old 03-28-2013, 10:25 AM
WRXtuners Member

That's why I said,"weaker" not weak. Besides, some would say the only thing weak around here is peoples driving skills. Man show, we don't need to see another picture of your broken tranny. We know you were just driving along and BOOM! And Blaze,I know you did very well with an "AA"code tranny.

Let's all just get past this and help this guy out.

#14 Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
...ok, fine!!! No more broken gear pics. But, if your stock gears do break, you could upgrade to a set of these
Attached Images

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#15 Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan