fog lights conversion - Subaru WRX Forum
 17Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-29-2014, 09:09 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
Question fog lights conversion

I got one busted fog lights and thought of doing HID conversion, 35W 5000K..Saw some negative feedbacks having HID's on your fog lights on some other forums and I would be open for any feedbacks from here. But, I will be still doing the conversion no matter what because i got the kit already.
Also any suggestions, will be greatly appreciated as per with installation is concern. I heard that the fog lights are more complicated than the headlights since that you have to do it underneath and customization is needed for the dust cap.

Any thoughts?
VANY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 03-30-2014, 02:28 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
HIDs completely undo the entire purpose of foglights. They simply emit too might light for use in fog and snow and will hurt your vision rather than help it. Not to mention that HIDs in fogs will be glare city.

You're not supposed to use your foglights in clear weather anways, so there is no point to going brighter at all. This is explained here:

04/05 wrx extra lighting?
brfatal is offline  
#3 Old 03-30-2014, 04:55 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Fidrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Iowa
Posts: 614
Images: 1
Fidrat is more helpful than not
HIDs in the fogs? Not a very bright idea.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
Fidrat is online now  
#4 Old 03-31-2014, 02:04 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
arcticscythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 382
arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
VANY

Please dont install HIDs in any housing designed for halogens, Its not safe for other drivers and in the case of fog lights it would be counter productive.

The best headlights are the ones that are just bright enough that they allow your eyes to adjust and see the road. Brighter isnt better, especially for fog lamps. Keep them halogen and keep them off until it gets foggy.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
arcticscythe is offline  
#5 Old 03-31-2014, 04:28 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
I hear everyones concern here and i am glad that you guys are throwing me all these opinions. I already got the kit and returning will be more work and pain in the butt. Ive installed HIDs on my fogs from previous car and didnt seem to bother anyone since i pointed it towards the road and i will make sure ill do the same way.

Thanks evryone!
VANY is offline  
#6 Old 03-31-2014, 10:20 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
*sigh* Please don't be in NoVA.
brfatal is offline  
#7 Old 04-01-2014, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
*sigh* Please don't be in NoVA.
Huh?
VANY is offline  
#8 Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,355
Images: 9
brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Location: Virginia

NoVA. Northern VA. I don't want to deal with that glare.
DB_VW likes this.
brfatal is offline  
#9 Old 04-02-2014, 05:31 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
BLAZE2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,583
Images: 6
BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
By installing these fully knowing what you're doing. I'm sorry, but you're an a-hole.

Ps. Good luck in the fog as those won't do a damn thing for cutting through it. Just makes it worse.
arewmors and DB_VW like this.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
BLAZE2099 is offline  
#10 Old 04-02-2014, 05:51 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 18
Riceburner is an unknown
Man Vany, you're so cool putting hids in your fogs!
BLAZE2099 likes this.
Riceburner is offline  
#11 Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
WRXtuners Member
 
arcticscythe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: California
Posts: 382
arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANY View Post
I hear everyones concern here and i am glad that you guys are throwing me all these opinions. I already got the kit and returning will be more work and pain in the butt. Ive installed HIDs on my fogs from previous car and didnt seem to bother anyone since i pointed it towards the road and i will make sure ill do the same way.

Thanks evryone!
Word to the wise, HID "Kits" that run on halogen sockets are typically made in china to less than exacting standards, they often throw a huge amount of non-visible radiation that can lead to melted housings and de-lamination of chromium coatings. the difference between Chinese made HID lamps and real HID lamps is huge, real HIDs only come on high voltage mounts and throw little to no infrared and ultraviolet radiation. If you have a set of drop in HIDs then they are not "good HIDs", weather you pay $29.99 or $229.99 you get the same made in china, wrapped in thermal plastic garbage.

I know better than to tell someone to throw away money but please don't damage your fog lamp assemblies with drop in HIDs, aside from blinding people and hurting your distance/fog vision they will eventually damage the coatings on the inside of your fog lamps.

If your going to do it anyway then please check your fog lamp housings whenever you wash the car and please only run them when you are driving ofroad or on private roads where the chance of blinding other drivers is minimal.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
arcticscythe is offline  
#12 Old 04-02-2014, 08:16 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
BLAZE2099's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,583
Images: 6
BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
He's not going to listen Jason, probably won't even reply again.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
BLAZE2099 is offline  
#13 Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
Been busy the past few days and took me awhile to reply. Just to let everyone know that I didn't do the conversion. I took down my bumper and saw that there's a dust cap cover and I don't wanna alter that to fit the HID cables. I running with the stock bulbs right now.
VANY is offline  
#14 Old 04-05-2014, 09:51 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZE2099 View Post
He's not going to listen Jason, probably won't even reply again.
If I wasn't able to reply right away, it doesn't mean that I'm not listening. I have other things to attend to aside from my car like a job and 2 teenagers!
VANY is offline  
#15 Old 04-05-2014, 09:54 PM
WRXtuners Member
 
VANY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 28
VANY is an unknown
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Word to the wise, HID "Kits" that run on halogen sockets are typically made in china to less than exacting standards, they often throw a huge amount of non-visible radiation that can lead to melted housings and de-lamination of chromium coatings. the difference between Chinese made HID lamps and real HID lamps is huge, real HIDs only come on high voltage mounts and throw little to no infrared and ultraviolet radiation. If you have a set of drop in HIDs then they are not "good HIDs", weather you pay $29.99 or $229.99 you get the same made in china, wrapped in thermal plastic garbage.

I know better than to tell someone to throw away money but please don't damage your fog lamp assemblies with drop in HIDs, aside from blinding people and hurting your distance/fog vision they will eventually damage the coatings on the inside of your fog lamps.

If your going to do it anyway then please check your fog lamp housings whenever you wash the car and please only run them when you are driving ofroad or on private roads where the chance of blinding other drivers is minimal.
Thanks for the info, appreciate it!
VANY is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On