Subaru WRX Forum banner

fog lights conversion

8K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  arcticscythe 
#1 ·
I got one busted fog lights and thought of doing HID conversion, 35W 5000K..Saw some negative feedbacks having HID's on your fog lights on some other forums and I would be open for any feedbacks from here. But, I will be still doing the conversion no matter what because i got the kit already.
Also any suggestions, will be greatly appreciated as per with installation is concern. I heard that the fog lights are more complicated than the headlights since that you have to do it underneath and customization is needed for the dust cap.

Any thoughts?:)

#2 ·
#4 ·
VANY

Please dont install HIDs in any housing designed for halogens, Its not safe for other drivers and in the case of fog lights it would be counter productive.

The best headlights are the ones that are just bright enough that they allow your eyes to adjust and see the road. Brighter isnt better, especially for fog lamps. Keep them halogen and keep them off until it gets foggy.

#5 ·
I hear everyones concern here and i am glad that you guys are throwing me all these opinions. I already got the kit and returning will be more work and pain in the butt. Ive installed HIDs on my fogs from previous car and didnt seem to bother anyone since i pointed it towards the road and i will make sure ill do the same way.

Thanks evryone!

#11 ·
Word to the wise, HID "Kits" that run on halogen sockets are typically made in china to less than exacting standards, they often throw a huge amount of non-visible radiation that can lead to melted housings and de-lamination of chromium coatings. the difference between Chinese made HID lamps and real HID lamps is huge, real HIDs only come on high voltage mounts and throw little to no infrared and ultraviolet radiation. If you have a set of drop in HIDs then they are not "good HIDs", weather you pay $29.99 or $229.99 you get the same made in china, wrapped in thermal plastic garbage.

I know better than to tell someone to throw away money but please don't damage your fog lamp assemblies with drop in HIDs, aside from blinding people and hurting your distance/fog vision they will eventually damage the coatings on the inside of your fog lamps.

If your going to do it anyway then please check your fog lamp housings whenever you wash the car and please only run them when you are driving ofroad or on private roads where the chance of blinding other drivers is minimal.

#17 ·
Gotcha! Don't worry I didn't go for the conversion. Thanks for the insights, I just didn't Appreciate some people here with some attitude. That's why I created that topic so I can get opinions but not to be called an a-hole!

#13 ·
Been busy the past few days and took me awhile to reply. Just to let everyone know that I didn't do the conversion. I took down my bumper and saw that there's a dust cap cover and I don't wanna alter that to fit the HID cables. I running with the stock bulbs right now.

#23 ·
My friend bought a pair of cheap aftermarket bulbs for his car a few years back and it melted his socket on the one side after using them for less than a week luckily for him he just put his old bulbs back in and sold the dealership the story that his lights shorted out somehow and they bought it.
Don't risk a voided warranty.

I don't think people are smashing you it's just not a smart thing to do because of the horror stories behind the matter of people messing with HID lights.
Grab a pair of well known bulbs that are guaranteed to last more than a few months from a company with a good rep.

I for one cant stand the goddam things.
Just my .02

Good luck man.

#24 ·
I am so sick of the keyboard warriors who rage against HIDs.

I've had 3000k 35w HID in my 03 WRX with GC8 fogs for years. The light output is double from halogen. I would not suggest putting anything higher than 4300k color temp because it will cause glares. Natural white(4300k) or amber(3000k) are amazing. There is not a ridiculous amount of cast off glare. The positioning even stayed the same.

If you want HID's in your foglights, try them out. Not every lamp is good for HID conversions tho. I put them in my 2000 Mustang and I had hot spots and shadows all over the place, but no over the line glare. Took them out after one night, but I didn't blind anybody.

#25 ·
@Snoopyslr - I want to help but you started with an insult. I spent 40 hours a week in shop for more than 5 years, I stopped working in a shop because I snagged an IT job with someone who I couldn't pass up. I also completed graduate level coursework in applied robotics and electronics with a focus on lighting technology. But none of that matters because Im behind a keyboard rather than standing next to you ( who is also behind a keyboard )

If your here to learn great, if not also great. Lets hit those targets for you real quick just in case.

1. Glare is not caused by color, a 2000K HID will produce the same glare as a 7000K. Degrees kelvin is not what causes glare. Luminous flux is what causes lights to glare. By increasing the luminous flux of a particular bulb ( brighter bulbs make more luminous flux ) you are increasing the amount of visible radiation coming form that bulb and the only way to control that is by collecting and redirecting that visible radiation through filters, reflectors or lenses. That is why you will NEVER see an OEM HID assembly without a projector housing, It is dangerous and it does cause glare, even at 2500K it causes glare.

2. For anyone interested in HID fog lamps please DO NOT try them yourself. In inclamate weather when you really need them to work they throw too much light and LIMIT your visibility by reflecting the light off the suspended water droplets ( fog ). If you choose to try HID lights in housings that are not designed to handle them please do so in front of an aiming wall or better yet take them to a state referee so they can try to aim them for you correctly. If the state ref can get them within spec then please enjoy the extra light but I would bet my bottom dollar that to pass the ref they would need to be aimed so low that they would be ineffective on the road.

I dont hate HIDs, I just like a proper retrofit better. I stand firmly behind the fact that without a proper projector you are a hazard to other drivers.

/ keyboard warrior out /

#27 ·
You know... I had a nice long rebuttal to your bullshit, but I've had enough of Subaru people. Subaru people are the biggest bunch of conformist elitist douche bags I've ever seen. I'm so sick of basically needing a communities permission to do a mod.

Also, nobody gives a shit about your resume dude. I promise, my resume is way more impressive.

#28 ·
you havent posted in over 2 years to bring up a year old dead thread to flame people??

you have serious issues. just delete your account man, you dont belong here. go take your ego and bullshit attitude to NASIOC

I promise, my resume is way more impressive.
people who say this usually have a small penis and drive a hummer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.