Subaru WRX Forum banner

First-time WRX owner with a couple of ?'s

3K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  boo-key 
#1 · (Edited)
He folks, glad to finally be an owner after being a member here for a while. First off, I just got my first WRX yesterday. It's an 04 with 59k miles. The paint and body need some work which is why I got it for a killer deal at $10k. I've never really been that worried about cosmetics, I've always been more worried about mechanics, which is why I bought this car. The list of items I have on it are as follows. There is a K&N FIPK short intake kit, TurboXS BOV, sport springs, larger aftermarket front and rear sway bars, upgraded clutch, STI exhaust and an HKS Turbo Timer. My questions are, 1: Is there anyting that should be taken off or replaced for now until I start seriously tuning it, 2: I've read a lot about turbo timers and it seems that most people don't like them for some reason, why is that, are turbo timers just useless to have on etc? Any more info would be greatly appreciated. This car doesn't have as much raw power as my Mustangs before, but once that turbo spools up, it's off we go and the car feels like it's absolutely on rails, even at high speeds in the corners. This car is mechanically in VERY GOOD shape. I think I made a good purchase. What do you think? Thanks for your input and help.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey, congrats and good to have you here. I'm gonna give you the abbreviated answers since you can search for more detailed explanations on the site.
1) That clutch is too grippy for your tranny. Us WRX owners suffer from weak trannies so the stock clutch is usually what you want on there in the hopes that it'll allow more slip and if something must break, hopefully it's the clutch. If you are a real gearhead, I'd get an OEM clutch and spend a saturday saving your transmission. This is coming from someone who destroyed a tranny with a stock clutch, so take heed!
2) Your turbo timer isn't useless. Your WRX has a seperate cooling reservoir that sits above the turbo that keeps feeding the turbo coolant after the engine is shut down. I don't know how much that could really feed, but that's the claim. But it can't hurt to be safe and run a turbo timer. Of course the same affect can be accomplished by running your car for a couple minutes after driving it hard and spooling a lot, so I try to do that after running hard.

Check this out too, http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f12...valves-hybrid-valves-25003/?highlight=bov+bpv, you might want to think about getting a stock BPV to replace that BOV. (It looks like a BPV in the picture, maybe it's ok?) If you aren't having any stalling or any codes being thrown because of it you might not even worry about it, just something to think about.

#3 ·
I agree with the statment above with the clutch the tranny on the WRX is weak so just watch how you drive it

The BOV can damage your car if it really is a BOV not a BPV so I would check on that kinda looks like BOV to me.

I am hoping that the vehicle is tuned after the intake if not I would look at getting a tune as soon as you possible can. A good tune always helps.

#5 ·
Read this Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
Lose the intake and BOV now. The 04 and newer should have EM to run anything aftermarket.
I would spend time in the seat before you mod anything. It takes awhile to learn to drive these cars. They are fun right out of the box, but they do have faults. The gearbox is one, it doesn't like to be beat on. The breaks are another weak spot.
Before you mod get a game plan together, this will make things easier. Do a lot of reasearch before you spens money. Also fine a good tuner that can guide you though the project. I have seen a lot of new owner dump a ton of money just to post " My car is broke" or "tranny problems".

#7 ·
That BOV, venting 100% like it is, could eventually play hell with your idle and more than likely will cause misfires gallore down the trail, lose it and the intake for sure bro..... The stock blow off valve is great for what you are doing right now and it will cause NO argument with the MAF, so it might be best to part with it. and sell it at the buyer's risk.

If you do want to keep the intake, save it for later, maybe when you doa turbo upgrade or if you ever go to a front mounted intercooler, use it then. WHen you do return to using it, if you upgrade the injectors, then please ensure that you tune for the injectors and get them scaled FIRST, then put the intake on and tune for it, not both at once, tricking the MAF is always horrible to do.

The unabomber's manifesto is a great source, so read up on it and welcome to the community!!!!
MC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.