First Stick Car - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_JUNKI
Okay here's the deal from what I understand, please correct.

1st Gear I hit 3K RPM at 15mph.
2nd Gear I hit 3K RPM at 25mph.
3rd Gear I hit 3K RPM at 40mph. (Not 100% sure but I think its around there)

So let's say I am going at 35mph and 2.75K RPM (3rd gear) as I hit my brakes I slow to about 1.75K RPM (not sure what speed I will be at). Clutch in then change to 2nd, I hit my throttle to hit about 2.75K RPM then release my clutch. But the part I don't understand is should I over rev the engine to about 3.25 since if I tap the throttle it drops real quick. Also should I ease out the clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 04:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by njskatchmo
Lol, sorry i guess i should have specified who i was talking to, I was asking WRX_Junki if he revs before he starts relasing the clutch. sorry about that.

(edit)

That's some crazy double clutch, heel- toe you just described right there. do you do this often?

that is the only way to heal toe / double clutch downshift

and yes, i only ever double clutch downshft. its 100% habbit now, i dont even think about it.
post #48 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_JUNKI
Okay here's the deal from what I understand, please correct.

1st Gear I hit 3K RPM at 15mph.
2nd Gear I hit 3K RPM at 25mph.
3rd Gear I hit 3K RPM at 40mph. (Not 100% sure but I think its around there)

So let's say I am going at 35mph and 2.75K RPM (3rd gear) as I hit my brakes I slow to about 1.75K RPM (not sure what speed I will be at). Clutch in then change to 2nd, I hit my throttle to hit about 2.75K RPM then release my clutch. But the part I don't understand is should I over rev the engine to about 3.25 since if I tap the throttle it drops real quick. Also should I ease out the clutch?
Are you even reading my posts?

I couldnít tell you what exact rpm you need to be blipping too etc, because I honestly donít know, its all based on sound and muscle memory at this point, you will just have to practice until you get it right.

Again, for the third time, if you canít let the clutch out immediately, then you didnít blip high enough.

I would suggest you not even bother with blipping the throttle on downshifts until you master basic single clutch no blip downshifts. Once you have that down, then start practicing double clutch downshifting with heal toe. There isent really any reason to practice single clutch heal toe, or rev matching downshifts, especially in this car unless you are double clutching (due to the finakie gear set).

You can always search for heal toe, or double clutch with the search function, I have made quite a few posts about this in the past.
post #49 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 05:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
In downshifting just to make it easy without blipping just let out the clutch very slowly. A little rougher but less effort if you are first starting out. Blipping is just rev matching so when you shift down the engine speed is the same as when you had the clutch pushed in.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #50 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 08:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
^^^What he said^^^

Before he trades his machine for an automatic. Just learn the easiest way for now and then work your way into the other methods later.
post #51 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Yeah dont worry I'm re-learning how to drive a stick in my WRX. I only have about 5,000 miles of stick experience and that was in a Toyota 4runner which is a super easy stick.

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
post #52 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 11:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

njskatchmo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to njskatchmo
Its all based on ratios, you can hit 25 mph in 1,2, and 3 at diffent rpms. The other thing is the ratios arn't exaclty Linear, so you can't say this speed will be -2k rpm in the next higher gear. You just have to learn that you're moving x fast and the engine should be moving y fast for this gear, so you match it. essentially for easy practical purposes just remember 2k in one gear translates to 3k at teh same speed in the lower gear. so if you want to downshift but maintain speed, you push clutch. select gear, press throttle to the translated RPM's for that gear, and release throttle easy. Be careful of downshifting from lets say 3rd at 3k into 2nd cause you'll be in boost range and you may notice a sudden shift in speed . Be gentle on it for now.
post #53 of 56 Old 10-31-2005, 11:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
If you downshift too hard it will give you a nice CRACK! and thats when you know you f-ed up.

Brent
post #54 of 56 Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Junki, the easiest way is to ignore the word double clutch for now..

When you are slowing down, lets say getting off the highway, try this. At 60 MPH, push the clutch in and then shift to 4th gear. SLOWLY let the clutch out and you will feel the engine slow itself down (Your RPMS will go up roughly to 3k). Then when you slow down to 45 MPH, push the clutch in and then shift to 3rd gear, SLOWLY let the clutch out (RPMS should again be at about 3k), Then when you slow down to 30 MPH, push the clutch in and shift to 2nd, SLOWLY let the clutch out (RPMS again will rise to about 3k). Then just before you come to a stop push the clutch in and use the brake until you come to a complete stop. You can also use the brake anytime you want during the downshifting because your right foot will be unoccupied. You never really want to shift in to 1st while you are still moving and especially while you are new. So once you come to a complete stop, put it in 1st. Hope this helps and makes it easy.

It also doesnt have to be that exact MPH, thats just my guideline I use for a downshift.
post #55 of 56 Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

pksublime is an unknown
Okay, it's not that bad learning on a WRX. This was my first car after the one my parents got me when I was sixteen - when they wouldn't let me get a manual. Anyway, yes it's difficult at first but what isn't? Compared to other things I've learned how to do in my life, this was cake. You WILL stall, you WILL learn what a burnt clutch smells like, but all in all the tips in here are great. Other people that drive my car say "This thing drives itself - it's like it wants to go fast!" and I just love hearing that.
post #56 of 56 Old 01-11-2007, 06:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

SubieSamurai is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by My05WRX
My first stick car was a WRX. So tough to learn on, i made an ass out of myself taking it to school the first day i got it.
I wouldnt advise "launching" until you have driven the car for a while and have a good feel for the clutch. If you try it too early you are bound to burn up the clutch too much or bust the tranny.
Good luck!
I completely concur. I wouldn't suggest it if you're still on stock tranny either....engine go kaboom!!Cry!

Who says all girls only drive an automatic??