First Stick Car - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

awd>fwd is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to awd>fwd
I downshift up to stop signs. Sometimes I downshift too late and it doesn't do much but it's a good habit. Still getting used to the WRX too. I say try downshifting every once in a while. I had about 5,000 miles of stick driving under my belt before I got this car and it was pretty rough for the first couple days, nobody really wanted to ride with me until it got smoother. Then I had people looking for something to grab onto when I hit boost!

Brent
2007 Satin White STi, 1989 Nissan Sil-Coupe, 1998 Toyota 4runner (to be built..)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 10-28-2005, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_JUNKI
What would be the correct way of approaching a stop sign? By downshifting?
there is no 'incorect' way to aproch a stop sign, i supose as long as you stop before the white line. but i would agree that its good habbit to downfshift when ever you are slowing down. its allways nice to be in the apropriate gear, instead of having to pick a gear when you really want/need to move out of the way quickly.
#18 Old 10-28-2005, 01:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRX_JUNKI
Just read somewhere that I should have the car in gear and have the emergency brake on after parking it. True or false?
#19 Old 10-28-2005, 02:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful Nose Nuggets is known to be trustworthy and helpful
i always put the parking brake on. i leave it out of gear if I'm on a flat surface (my parking spot at home) but any time I'm on a hill ill leave it in gear, and or coarse turn the wheel appropriately.
#20 Old 10-28-2005, 03:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Hmm interesting, I guess I will do the same. When parking on any flat service I will park out of gear and parking brake on. When on any hill, I will park in 1st gear with the wheel turned and the parking brake on.

While in reverse, is it like the 1st gear where I have to gas it slightly to move or will the car move as I release the clutch?
#21 Old 10-28-2005, 04:53 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
While in reverse, is it like the 1st gear where I have to gas it slightly to move or will the car move as I release the clutch?
do you meen after the car's weight has settled on the gear? are you asking if you have to drive it off the gear?

depends. some times you can get it out of gear before you even start it. but if im starting on a hill, and its been parked in gear, i will start it, and drive it off in gear (i allways park in first).
#22 Old 10-29-2005, 08:17 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
Junki, if you are on a flat surface, you should be able to put it in reverse(or 1st) and slowly let out the clutch until it catches, and you wont even have to hit the gas, and you will start moving backward or forward. I never use the gas when backing out of my driveway.

Its a good habit to always leave your car in gear (not reverse) AND use the ebrake anytime you park. I learned this the hard way.

The way I usually shift is every 15 MPH.. 0-15 1st gear, 15-30 2nd gear, 30-45 3rd gear, 45-60 4th, then 5th.

When downshifting, I do the same thing, just backwards.

Moe, driving standard isnt that hard once you are used to it. It becomes second nature. Its well worth the extra work to be in more control over your car and have more speed. You can keep your auto and get whooped by a slightly modded Honda Civic if you want
You dont get any respect from other tuners for driving a fast car thats an automatic. They will be like, "damn, nice car! Then when they look in they will be like... its an automatic? .
#23 Old 10-29-2005, 11:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME
Junki, if you are on a flat surface, you should be able to put it in reverse(or 1st) and slowly let out the clutch until it catches, and you wont even have to hit the gas, and you will start moving backward or forward. I never use the gas when backing out of my driveway.
it would ###### be a little safer to park, turn your tires, put it in gear, turn it off, release the clutch, and slooowly release the brake peddle untill the gears lock.

Quote:
Moe, driving standard isnt that hard once you are used to it. It becomes second nature. Its well worth the extra work to be in more control over your car and have more speed. You can keep your auto and get whooped by a slightly modded Honda Civic if you want
You dont get any respect from other tuners for driving a fast car thats an automatic. They will be like, "damn, nice car! Then when they look in they will be like... its an automatic? .
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9493
#24 Old 10-29-2005, 12:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
Wear Item Limited Warranty
Wear item coverage is 3 year or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first. Items covered are brake pad/shoe linings, clutch linings, and wiper blades.

Does this mean it covers my clutch if it wears out or no? It says "clutch lining".
#25 Old 10-29-2005, 01:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

njskatchmo is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to njskatchmo
WRX is a horrible stick car to learn on. Learning how to move any other car and FORCING a wrx to move are two completely opposite things wehn you first start. It took me 3-5 days before i started driving on normal roads and I am not a slow learner. Also, don't launch I started driving this thing in early september and I still don't do any serious launches. You WILL burn clutch when you learn on this, if you burn up to much they may reject a replacement due to "abuse. Learn the mechanics of how the tranny itself works and everything makes sense if you understand it. You can answer many questions of why the tranny likes some things and not others. Also, see if your Rex will let you downshift into 1st at like 10 MPH, it's not an uncommon problem for it to not let you and you'll be forced to double clutch. besides that, stop signs and all that are simple. If you're in a high gear and you se itt coming, you can let engine braking slow you down and then downshift once you get to like 1.750 RPM try to avoid downshifting into 1st just pop it in neutral right before 2nd gear starts sputtering. also if you come to a stop in a gear higher than 2nd as your last used gear. Just downshift to second (with clutch down) that has helped me avoid grinding. If you ever feel like you're going to stall just push the clutch in. The car makes no noise for half a second before it stalls. It took my like a month to get relatively smooth at shifting, Don't be afriad if you stall every once and a while after you get going. I stalled yesterday after not stalling for like 2 weeks. I'm still new.

Edit

About parking. It's best to leave it out of gear on a flat surface. If another car hits you while you're parked hard enough to overcome the parking brake, the discs in the tranny can spin against each other. Unless you are on a hill. Park it in 1st/R so that if the parking brake fails, the tranny will catch it, and if that fails, pointing the wheels at teh curb will catch it. If that fails, call insurance . Up a hill you put it in 1st and turn to the left. Down a hill put it in R and point to the right. (this is if you're parking on the right, if you park on the left the wheel is reversed)

Im still new to stick but I can ###### help with any questions about learning. The others here can help you with the more advanced techniques.
#26 Old 10-29-2005, 01:40 PM
WRXtuners Member

smores is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to smores
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXforME
Especially if it's something nice like a G35, or worse, an auto NSX !Cry!
#27 Old 10-29-2005, 02:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njskatchmo
Also, see if your Rex will let you downshift into 1st at like 10 MPH, it's not an uncommon problem for it to not let you and you'll be forced to double clutch.
ive driven roughly 10 diferent WRX's of verying years and with verying mods, but all the ones i have driven with the originally transmission NEED a double cluth downshift to first gear. i have yet to drive one i can single clutch downshift to first.
#28 Old 10-29-2005, 02:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

WRXforME is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to WRXforME
You can downshift to first, you just have to give it a little bit of pressure and while you are pushing it into gear hold it to the left side. So push up and left. I dont recommend forcing anything on your clutch though. Either learn to double clutch or just come to a stop in second with the clutch in, then when you are stopped, put it in first, it will go right in.
#29 Old 10-30-2005, 01:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

WRX_JUNKI is an unknown
So, after my first day of putting about 50 miles on my new WRX. I had no problem what so ever downshifting into 1st but had downshifting to other gears. When I downshift the car would lurch forward and the RPM's rise suddenly. Well I got the hang of driving it but still have trouble on the downshifting and have no idea what double clutching is.

Also, on a side note is it bad to go from a stop then 1st and not have the clutch fully released then press it again to go into 2nd? I release the clutch slowly as I am starting to go in 1st but by the time I release it I end up having to floor the clutch again to go into 2nd, so I just started not releasing the clutch fully and just repress it once I get going. Bad habit?
#30 Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Jag_Warrior is an unknown
Quote:
So, after my first day of putting about 50 miles on my new WRX. I had no problem what so ever downshifting into 1st but had downshifting to other gears. When I downshift the car would lurch forward and the RPM's rise suddenly. Well I got the hang of driving it but still have trouble on the downshifting and have no idea what double clutching is.

Also, on a side note is it bad to go from a stop then 1st and not have the clutch fully released then press it again to go into 2nd? I release the clutch slowly as I am starting to go in 1st but by the time I release it I end up having to floor the clutch again to go into 2nd, so I just started not releasing the clutch fully and just repress it once I get going. Bad habit?
Try to practice blipping the throttle before downshifting. Tap the throttle with your foot as you downshift. The car is lurching because your engine speed/rpm is mismatched from your vehicle speed. Briefly blipping the throttle (and knowing the appropriate range of speed you should be going before you downshift) will increase your engine rpm's and that will help you out there. Just don't be going 50 and downshift into 2nd. !Cry! If blipping the throttle or heel-toe are in the future, just slow down some more before you drop into a lower gear. It just takes practice until it begins to feel more natural. I've been driving manuals since I was about 8 (and that was a LONG time ago) and this car has taught me some new things about shifting.

On your other question, I'm not really sure what you're asking or doing... or how you're doing it. Sorry.