First mod anybody???? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#16 Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sti4frosty View Post
i know i'm not reali good but i think maybe you should focus on the weight of it first, for example. carbon fiber bonnet and boot, light weight rims.. ect ect... Because this might actually let you pick up faster and more fuel economy due to less pulling power...
Not very cost effective. You are looking to spend a lot of money for little to no performance gain.

My name is Ken and I am a HP Junkie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#17 Old 08-06-2010, 09:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
The rims will help quite a bit... I believe I once heard for every pound lost on sprung weight is like losing 80-100 lbs in the car. Nothing to back it up....

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#18 Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm guessing that was a comment from somebody who overthought the concept on paper. That's probably similar to saying that by installing a lighter crank pulley, you save the equivalent of ~100 lbs of dead weight from the car just due to the lighter rotational weight at that spot.

It's hard to conceptualize stuff like that, but the bottom line when it comes to weight (in most cases) is: the lighter, the better.

John
07 WRX
#19 Old 08-07-2010, 12:52 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful Kjott21 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzr2874 View Post
The rims will help quite a bit... I believe I once heard for every pound lost on sprung weight is like losing 80-100 lbs in the car. Nothing to back it up....
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I'm guessing that was a comment from somebody who overthought the concept on paper. That's probably similar to saying that by installing a lighter crank pulley, you save the equivalent of ~100 lbs of dead weight from the car just due to the lighter rotational weight at that spot.

It's hard to conceptualize stuff like that, but the bottom line when it comes to weight (in most cases) is: the lighter, the better.
I am not saying that losing weigh is not beneficial. I am just saying that it isn't a cost effective FIRST mod. A good set of lightweight rims/CF hood/CF trunk is going to cost an arm and a leg and will show a small gain as opposed to the gain that you will get for swapping a DP and getting a tune for a lot less money.

#20 Old 08-07-2010, 02:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Hondafan is a helpful contributing member
I'm all for the Subie rumble. We all know it. It's iconic. But as a mod for gaining power it's not significant and for a few more bucks you can get your car to stage 2 which should be over 300 hp at the crank. . . (the car is rated at 265 stock, and stage 2 is supposed to be about another 40 or so. Exhaust won't give you anything. I would get Perrin's stage 2 lite package. That will get you their downpipe and AccessPort including a map to match it better to your car. Check it out:

Perrin Performance Stage 2 Light 2008-2010 WRX $1069.00

An exhaust will cost you almost that much even for the hatch, but not give you much as far as performance.
#21 Old 08-13-2011, 09:16 PM
WRXtuners Member

TommyBlazeHD is an unknown
When I get my 03 Subaru, the FIRST thing going in is the COBB Access PORT. Good idea or bad?
#22 Old 08-31-2011, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

srm1285 is an unknown
instead of a cobb access port an open source tune would be more beneficial. i got one for my car along with a couple dyno pulls for less than an access port would cost
#23 Old 08-31-2011, 10:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

tommelleo22 is an unknown
im with srm. i'm saying a nameless exhaust bc they're amazing for the money imo with a dp. then get yourself a tactrix cable. probably get all that for the price of an AP or around that range if you search around for the for sale sections. my first performance purchase was a tactrix cable then my downpipe that's on its way
#24 Old 09-01-2011, 11:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

fuapiti is more helpful than not
But with the cable you still can't do half the stuff you can do with an AccesPort...

The AP is just a wiser investment...
#25 Old 09-02-2011, 12:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuapiti View Post
But with the cable you still can't do half the stuff you can do with an AccesPort...

The AP is just a wiser investment...
Really? What can you do with the AP that you can't do with the Tactrix cable and a laptop other than tune in realtime without flashing a map with every revision of the map? I am not trying to steer one way or the other but you need to have facts to back up your statement. Have you ever used the Tactrix cable and RomRaider software? I've used both and either is viable.

#26 Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
rom raider totally dominates a AP! cant plug a wide band into an AP can you? lap top and RR you sure can and a WB is the best tuning tool out there.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/