Finally got it! but... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 05-17-2003, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

stil2stock is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to stil2stock
Finally got it! but...

Hey all,
I finally got my Rex! ( i know my profile said "o2wrx" b4 bcs it was an inevitability). Its a WRB 02 with only 10k miles, rear wing, factory short shifter w/ titanium sti knob, upgraded sound and alarm systems, and last but not least the boost gauge - which is unfortunately in megapascals which i did not realize untill i sat in the car, but oh well.
So, heres my first question: while watching the boost gauge i noticed that under normal driving its in the negative pressure more than in the positive - is that something a BOV will help? I'm planning on getting the TXS RFL once i get together enough $$ (yes i am poor). Also, I was always planning on debadging but now that its sitting in the driveway i'm nervous about messing up my beautiful finish. U guys sure I can do this without any damage? and u think it looks best with just the "subaru" off or with the "wrx" off too? just curious here.
This is my first manual and it was a little rough for the first few days. The clutch throw on the wrx is shorter than my bro's 350z which is shorter than my father's Z3 so it took some getting used to. The STI shift knob looks great - but its not that comfortable. I'm looking at the MOMO Shot in CF (if anyone has one or a similar knob I may trade). Other than that I absolutely love this car! So, I just wanted to share the news - let me know if you have the answers to my questions and happy motoring to all!

My father: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0L
My mother: 2002 BMW X5 3.0L
My brother: 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring edition
Me: 2002 WRX
Fine cars are a family affair
"I feel the need, the need for speed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-17-2003, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

TexRex2002 is an unknown
negative boost.

The fact that your boost guage is reading negative is completely normal, and no BOV will change that. They used to call an engine a "big vacuum pump," where the exlosive power stroke in one cylinder was causing another cylinder on the downstroke (with the intake valve open) to suck itself full of air. That is where the vacuum comes from. When you add a turbo to the car, and step on the throttle, the exhaust gas, being forced out of the cylinders on exhaust upstrokes (at an ever accellerating pace, since you are revving up the motor), spins a turbine, that is connected to a little 'air pump.' The 'air pump' pushes air and fuel into the intake "side"of the engine.

When you let off of the throttle you get considerable vacuum in the intake side, since the car is still in gear and and the engine being forced to turn, without the throttle being open. Also, the little turbine and 'air pump' (the turbo ...duh...) is no longer being powered by accelerating exhaust gasses.

So, even on cruise control, you often wont see much in the way of boost on your guage, unless the engine is working hard (going uphill, for example).

...or something like that...

Tim
post #3 of 3 Old 05-17-2003, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

stil2stock is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to stil2stock
THANKS!

My father: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0L
My mother: 2002 BMW X5 3.0L
My brother: 2003 Nissan 350Z Touring edition
Me: 2002 WRX
Fine cars are a family affair