Few Quick Questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

Woessner1101 is an unknown
Few Quick Questions

Hey, new to the forum here but looking for some advice. Here's a quick rundown of the situation I am in. I am currently leasing a Lancer so that when I deploy, thanks to the Servicemember Civil Relief Act, I can get out of a lease if I go on a deployement for more than 90 days. In the near future I will be deploying and am hoping to save up anywhere from 20k-30k. I'm hoping to put somewhere in the area of 15k down for a WRX. I just have a few questions about the what to look for.

1) What year?
ie: Am i better off buying 09 and newer in hopes of less mileage and original engine, or going with an older one that may have more milage and a replaced engine.

2) Aftermarket parts?
Mainly here I am wondering, if someone has a lot of aftermarket stuff on the car whether it be in the engine or body, what ones should I look for on the one I am buying that are just all around something that I would/wouldn't want.

3) Tips?
Any other useful tips while looking for a WRX would be appreciated as well.

Sorry if this was a TL/DR type of post, but I just have questions about what to go for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-01-2013, 04:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
1) Brand new if you can. Used sports cars are a headache nobody wants if they can avoid it. 15 grand down, sounds like you can afford to avoid it.

2) any aftermarket part will lower the value of the car because it increases the odds of something being broken during the install process, increased strain on surrounding parts, and just the general rate of abuse from the driver

3) You want to read a lot more about car modification before jumping in. You're safe with a brand new WRX from the show room that you leave stock. If you start changing things or even worse start dealing with things somebody else has changed, you need to have a much better understanding. This site is a good resource so do some reading, ask some questions. It's a fun hobby but it's one you can waste a lot of money in if you don't know what you're doing and veer too far from best practices. If the thought of 15 grand going up in flames in a "failed experiment" with your car, then you need to be careful and remember your car first and foremost needs to be daily reliable transportation.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 02-01-2013, 04:46 PM
WRXtuners Member

Woessner1101 is an unknown
Alright, thanks for the input. And trust me, I don't plan on doing much of anything to the car. I would rather leave my first one stock, and get a feel for it, and maybe later on in its life experimenting with it after I already have another car.
#4 Old 02-01-2013, 06:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Sounds like a smart decision. But if in fact you do feel the mod bug tapping on your shoulder, just simply research the crap out of each stage of building....GL!!!

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
1) You absolutely can't go wrong with brand new. For a little while, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a full warranty. It sounds like you'll eventually be modifying it at least a little bit, so just go with the basic 3 year/36,000 mile warranty (or whatever they offer). Don't pay extra for any type of extended warranty. While you wait for that to expire, save up and/or throw a few extra payments toward the balance and read up on modifications. Also, after the first 36k or so, you should have a pretty good idea about what it's like to maintain the vehicle. Besides regular oil changes, every 30k is a semi-major maintenance milestone: Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011.... You can really save a bunch of money if you do the work yourself - even if you use premium materials. There are several price breakdowns of 30, 60, 90k, etc. services on this site.

2) Read this: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC. It covers almost every aspect of modifying your car and also contatins some good info if you decide to buy used.

3) Don't hesitate to ask any questions about anything. Almost all of us are here to help. Fair warning: it is a very addicting (and expensive) hobby

Don't forget to wave to other Subarus on the road. We generally acknowledge each other with some type of hand gesture or nod just like motorcycle riders and Jeep owners.

John
07 WRX