Falling out of love please help.... - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-14-2014, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
Falling out of love please help....

Well, I have had my 05 wrx for about 2 years now, I went from a completely stock, wingless car that I bought from an older guy at 100k, to now stage 2 open source, fancy wheels, lowered, Sti wing, panel filter, tinted windows, awesome deck (had subs) etc.... I'm just falling out if love with it... I loved this car when I got it but now the power is just starting to BORE me... I can't get really crazy because I still owe money on it... So I would really like to keep the stock turbo and I'm not going to spend $500 on a pro tune... I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to it to make a noticeable difference... I'm trying to stay happy with this car because going to a more expensive car will break my wallet.

Things I have been tossing around
- good day of detailing (wash wax buff vac)
- install my up pipe (been putting it off :/)
-while I'm doing the up pipe throwing some headers in the mix, already down there anyway
- water/meth kit with the smallest nozzle I can get (did this on a Dsm with good success)
- bigger intercooler
-turbo inlet
- intercooler hoses
-some sort of custom light bar (I like fabbing up my own shit)
- 50/50 bov
- tinting tail lights
- black headlight mod (or tinting headlights...)

Honestly I don't rip around corners or anything, I just like to be able to put itmy right foot down and be pushed back into my seat every once in a while, and of course I tear shit up in the winter... So I'm not really interested in sway bars or fancy coil overs, and I have decent break pads and such....

Basically I'm just wanting opinions on what might make a noticeable difference in power and for you to post pictures of your cars

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
You say your not gonna spend $ on a pro tune but some of the things like turbo inlet, intercooler, headers, and meth kit will require one anyway sooooooo.....better just stick with the other stuff which I don't think is gonna cure your need for speed.

I know you said you don't wanna change turbos but, I really think in your situation a sti top mount, vf39 or 43 & injectors + tuning is just what the Dr. Ordered to cure your boredom. Plus it will all still retain oem reliability .

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
Honestly, I had a friend who put a vf39 on his wrx along with the Sti injectors and so on... And it felt almost exactly the same as my car.... He used a nope source tune that had good reviews and everything... Maybe it could have been boost leaks or something but I'm a little hesitant to spend $100 on injectors, $300 on a turbo, $100 on an intercooler, more money on tuning, $100 on a fuel pump.... And find out it still isn't enough.... That's why when I pay it off I'm either going to build it, or keep it this way and buy/build something else.... I mean, I'm the type of person that when looking at doing that much work and spending that much money, I just say #### it and go big... If end up with a 20g or something bigger.... I just want a little more kick in the pants for now until I get more money/time and have it paid off so if I break it I won't be paying $200 a month to stare at it

Also I was under the impression that everything that I listed (except the meth) didn't require a tune, just would benefit more from a tune? Not trying to argue or anything.
#4 Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Pro tune is well worth the money, If your already stage 2 injectors and a fuel pump would let your tuner push it well beyond a stage 2 OTS tune.

Spend some time detailing it ( I do it every Monday, its therapeutic ) When its clean it feels better, and its a great way to build pride.

After its perfectly clean put it up on a rack and get the parts you've been putting off where they belong. Its worth the work and if you can grab a friend and a six pack that makes for a pretty solid saturday.

After that I would take it by a good tuner and have them setup a proper dyno tune so you can really get the power out of your parts. They can also tell you what kinda gains you can expect from your parts, maybe its worth swapping your injectors and fuel pump while your doing work to get more power.

If you want more parts then you can do an STi inter-cooler and maybe a nice turbo inlet. Personally I would do those 2 first then get it tuned.

Worst case if you've fallen out of love, do a new Subaru driver a solid and pass it on to someone who can honestly love it.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#5 Old 07-15-2014, 12:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
start upgrading suspension pieces if you haven't already...

(hard to know what you have and have not done by looking at your profile)

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#6 Old 07-15-2014, 02:28 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Pro tune is well worth the money, If your already stage 2 injectors and a fuel pump would let your tuner push it well beyond a stage 2 OTS tune.

Spend some time detailing it ( I do it every Monday, its therapeutic ) When its clean it feels better, and its a great way to build pride.

After its perfectly clean put it up on a rack and get the parts you've been putting off where they belong. Its worth the work and if you can grab a friend and a six pack that makes for a pretty solid saturday.

After that I would take it by a good tuner and have them setup a proper dyno tune so you can really get the power out of your parts. They can also tell you what kinda gains you can expect from your parts, maybe its worth swapping your injectors and fuel pump while your doing work to get more power.

If you want more parts then you can do an STi inter-cooler and maybe a nice turbo inlet. Personally I would do those 2 first then get it tuned.

Worst case if you've fallen out of love, do a new Subaru driver a solid and pass it on to someone who can honestly love it.

He's still on a TD04, theres not much left to push after stage 2, maybe a few more PSI until it turns into a giant hair dryer.

To OP, If all you wanted was something that just goes fast in a straight line maybe you should have been looking at muscle instead of rally cars. Just a thought. The whole point of quick spooling torquey awd cars is to go HAM in corners and offroad.

Honestly I've had this car for over a year, and I still smile every time I start it up.