Extra-S confusion - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-19-2014, 03:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

RoomTenONine is an unknown
Extra-S confusion

So I got my 09 WRX Hatch, wanted to change its fluids so I got Extra-S from Fred Bean. When the weather went bad, I took it to a dealer for the change. I went to get the car they had put the regular fluid in the gearbox and diff, stating that the WRX had a different differential and couldn't use the Extra-S.

I'm no expert, but I've read about quite a few people running the 5MT with Extra-S. Assuming they didn't do something shady, who is misinformed here?

I guess if this is the worst thing that happens, I'm in good shape.

I've wanted one of these things since before they came to the states. Love it so far, except I live in the city and can't wind it out too often.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Extra s is fine.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 03-20-2014, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
The hell kind of shady dealership says you can't use Extra-S, which is SUBARU'S OWN TRANSMISSION FLUID!?

The rear diff uses something different, that's correct, but that's completely separate from the transmission.
#4 Old 03-20-2014, 04:50 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
The hell kind of shady dealership says you can't use Extra-S, which is SUBARU'S OWN TRANSMISSION FLUID!?

The rear diff uses something different, that's correct, but that's completely separate from the transmission.
Don't they both use the same thing? 75w-90?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#5 Old 03-20-2014, 05:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
My guide says GL-5 for trans and rear diff, thats 75w90 in my book, sounds like the dealership may have had a green tech or they may be very particular about what exact fluid goes in during their installation. (some dealerships wont use your own fluids for liability reasons) last I checks extra-s is the subaru OEM oil so that may be "the regular stuff" they put in.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#6 Old 03-21-2014, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

RoomTenONine is an unknown
Thanks, I was worried I had missed something big. It has definitely happened before.
#7 Old 03-24-2014, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boo-key bear View Post
Don't they both use the same thing? 75w-90?
Yep, you can, but Extra-S has additives that are more transmission oriented. You can use it, but I'd opt specifically for straight 75w90 gear oil.