Engine Re-building questions - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 04-08-2012, 10:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subaru WRX Newb is an unknown
Engine Re-building questions

I'm a fairly new wrx owner. I have a 2007 wrx with an invidia n1 turboback exhaust and a tune. Car is making 226awhp and 301-awtq.

I want to upgrade to a Blouch Td06-20g plus bigger tmic, 1000cc injectors, 300lph fuel pump, and grimmspeed 3port. Wondering if i might as well rebuilt the engine. How much would it cost roughly to strengthen my engine, moderately, nothing crazy, but i would just like to be able to make this car a daily driver somewhere around 400whp. Any information on rebuilding the stock ej255 engine would be helpfull. Im just looking for options atm, so please feel free to add anything you feel helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You're gonna need a few other things and the injectors might be a bit too big. You won't need to upgrade the engine right away but the likelihood of having to will definitely increase with that turbo. You're not gonna hit anywhere near 400 whp with that turbo though.
#3 Old 04-09-2012, 12:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'm sort of in the same boat: 07 WRX with 238 whp/308 wtq (mods in my profile are up to date if you're interested). I'm currently (unwillingly) running zero boost because of an unknown problem which I'm going to try to have sorted out this week by some professionals. I suspect my stock turbo might be blown, so I might be in the market for an upgraded turbo myself. With 92k on my stock engine though, I'm wondering if a rebuild is in my near future as well. I was originally thinking of getting a 20G turbo as my next step, but now I'm leaning towards a VF43 (or similar) just to get me by.

I've also already rebuilt my transmission with stronger Albins gears because my stock WRX 5 speed trans shredded some gears at ~83k on a Stage 2 OTS tune, so I would suggest an upgraded transmission be your priority before an upgraded engine.

John
07 WRX
#4 Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 AM
WRXtuners Member

Subaru WRX Newb is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat: 07 WRX with 238 whp/308 wtq (mods in my profile are up to date if you're interested). I'm currently (unwillingly) running zero boost because of an unknown problem which I'm going to try to have sorted out this week by some professionals. I suspect my stock turbo might be blown, so I might be in the market for an upgraded turbo myself. With 92k on my stock engine though, I'm wondering if a rebuild is in my near future as well. I was originally thinking of getting a 20G turbo as my next step, but now I'm leaning towards a VF43 (or similar) just to get me by.

I've also already rebuilt my transmission with stronger Albins gears because my stock WRX 5 speed trans shredded some gears at ~83k on a Stage 2 OTS tune, so I would suggest an upgraded transmission be your priority before an upgraded engine.
What did the transmission upgrades cost you?
#5 Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
The job cost me a hair over $5,600 (not including the tow bill and the rental car I had for almost 6 months), but it can be done cheaper. Post #182 has a price breakdown: Blew my 07 trans tonight

John
07 WRX
#6 Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

black beast2 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
You're gonna need a few other things and the injectors might be a bit too big. You won't need to upgrade the engine right away but the likelihood of having to will definitely increase with that turbo. You're not gonna hit anywhere near 400 whp with that turbo though.
That turbo will get you close to 400whp if you run E-85 or race fuel. Im running a tdo5 20g making almost 390whp on E-85 and around 355whp on 92, and i have been dynoed on surglines mustang dyno and pre's dyno witch is also a low reading dyno, both dynos were within a few hp of each other so I know it can be done.

I don't have to be mad to punch someone in the face!
#7 Old 04-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Transmission would be my first concern. It's one big reason I haven't tried moving up in power. (314whp currently)

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae