Subaru WRX Forum banner

Engine Mods ?

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  McBaine 
#1 ·
Hey guys so I have a 2012 wrx sedan with a few aftermarket parts and I am looking to upgrade and get more hp. I have the Cobb V2 Accessport, Cobb SF Intake, Invidia Q3 catback exhaust, aftermarket wheels and tires on my ride already. What are some of the things that I should do next to my ride?

#3 ·
If you have a 2012, the next thing you should do is sort out your suspension and braking.

Personally I would start with a master cylinder brace because the 11-14 firewall is super soft and it leads to flex when you are really on your brakes. Grimmspeed makes a really nice option and for $100 its well worth the money and the 3 hours it takes to install.

Sway bars are also a great option for a 2012, you can get away with the stock front and a stiffer rear but you will notice a huge difference if you go with a stiffer front as well. Oh and if your doing sways dont forget to do your endlinks at the same time.

Finally if you want more power a down pipe and a professional tune would be a good next step. There are a few other options out there but Invidia makes a nice CATed option that will be easy for any professional tuner to work with. You can either Dyno tune the car or E-tune the and both of those options would be better than running the maps the Cobb offers.

#8 ·
Lets start safe.

Start by fining yourself a tuner you trust. I like Paul over at Yimisport or Eric at Torqued Performance. Get either of them on the line and talk to them about your budget and your requirements.

For a daily driver you can get alot out of the stock turbo. Before you max out the stock turbo you will max out the stock injectors. A set of 750 or 1000cc injectors would serve you well as well as a fuel pump that can handle E85 250 - 300 Lph is usually the goal for stage 2+ and Stage 3 daily driver builds.

#11 ·
the CAT is an abbreviated term for CATALYTIC CONVERTER. They are made of a platinum containing ceramic substrate or mesh that acts as a catalyst for an reducing and a series of oxidizing reaction ( essentially burning ) that converts Nitrogen oxides into Nitrogen and Oxygen then burns off other pollutants like carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide which is much safer.

There are a few RACE ONLY exhaust systems that do not include a CAT and therefore do nothing to help clean up your exhaust fumes. Many companies make high flow CATs that allow for an increase in exhaust flow over the stock system but still contain a catalytic converter and thus still scrub some of the nastier chemicals from your exhaust on the way out.

If you plan on driving your vehicle on public roads or for any longer distances than a few las at the local track please choose a CATed downpipe from a reputable manufacturer.

#12 ·
I would go with a good quality catted down pipe and look to upgrade the stock intercooler before you worry about a larger turbo. Injectors and your fuel pump will most likely need an upgrade to go along with the larger turbo. Like Arcticscythe says a good quality tuner is paramount for a reliable daily. your stock turbo can put out more power than you think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.