Subaru WRX Forum banner

Engine management?

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  oldfartracer 
#1 ·
Hey guys dumb question i know but i hear people talking about em all the time. What exactly implys when engine management comes to mind. what does it do? how much does it costs, and what are the benefits from having it done?
thanks everyone

#2 ·
Engine management, when mentioned on here and other forums definetely relate to "tuning" your engine. Or remapping the stock configurations and definitions for thigns like AFR, timing, injector duty cycles, etc. In essence, the ecu is the brain to our egnines, the heart. Having an engine management system allows you to control your engine in new ways never before possible, like really milking you set up for power.

what does it do? Controls every aspect of your car's engine
how much does it cost? Well, there are multiple types of EM systems/componetns available in today's market. I personally, am using a Cobb accessport V2 for EM. However, before I got to where my car is today, I was using opensource(whole other can of worms, seach for it). There are also the options of ECUtek, all the way to a Hydra, which is a total replacement ECU. It all depends on what you want

how much? 695 for the accessport(new), hydra-a lot, most are under 1k though, it again, all depends on where you want to be.

#3 ·
thats a very good simple break down above. Best bet is to read about it. There is a section on the forum dedicated to tuning and EM. Just search and start to read. There are several people out there on this forum that have knowledge one or more of the setups that can be used for the car. Plus as you read through you will begin to see (and maybe understand) what EM does and is capable of and why its such a big deal to most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.