Subaru WRX Forum banner

engine failure question

7K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  smokeyDblunt 
#1 ·
I searched a bit and see it pertaining to older vins a bit. But with the 2011 wrx is there still a high incident rate of engine failures? A coworker of mine who wanted to go and group buy with me suby's soon said he wont go through it ### of how seemingly common these engines blow. as for myself, i planned and printed a wrx premium with the spt exhaust, then later i was going to throw on the cobb intake and ap.... that's it before doing a prova steering wheel etc. so is this the risk with these cars ### i thought they were bullet proof and most of these incidents with 08's and 09's are stock sti's soo idk if it even applies.

Thanks for helping during my car buying research and i searched for forum so im hoping im not reposing something already posted.

#3 ·
Some abbreviations are blanked out...it forces good grammar. ;)

The stock problems should be pretty much done with. Unless you get a lemon car. But, everyone risks that when they buy a car new. Thats why the government made a lemon law. The 08 STIs had problems with a bad tune from the factory that was causing piston failures and certain build dates of 09s had weak bearings installed. Which subaru open endly said they'll fix it it one time. But, other than that....engine failures come with bad tunes or people running a shit load of hp/tq on a otherwise stock engine. Subaru didn't put the greatest of pistons in these engines. Which is why most people put new pistons in if they plan on making more than 350 whp/tq.

#4 ·
The issue with these cars having blow motors is the jackwagons that drive them. Over reving to show off and trying to street race some guy in a Honda. Honestly the likelyhood of you blowing the motor up in one of these is slim to none unless you one of the afore mentioned type people.

#5 ·
thank you guys that actually made me feel a lot better, I guess I kind of all applies to any car you go to. honestly I don't mod much, and in this part of florida with all the cops you be lucky if you can even drive under the speed limit half the time before they pull you over. I plan on maby doing an intake, possibly cobb with the ap, and keeping the spt exhaust. just a daily driver that is fun for meets with occasional dragstrip visits.... I work in a hospital diagnostic imaging facility... So needless to say although I may be a car enthusiast, I am no street racer...i seen how that ends up.

hopefully I won't kill it though. Luck with cars is not my thing lol

#7 ·
Marion county Sheriff's can suck it...I grew up in Florida and trust me there and Dade county are the worst for pulling people over for some really stupid reasons. Glad to hear you have a good sense about not street racing. I understand that everyone "gets on it" once and a while and that's fine, but I know around here we have some hardcore street racing fools...:mad:

#8 ·
originally I was just going to put the spt in but everyone and their mother hates it lol I like it because the dealership I want to send it would throw it in for free. Lol but if there wont be a significant performance gain rusers the pt. N cobb told me ill get minimal gains over an aem unit or a cobb intake with a box

psinuse yeah, I now live in dunnellon and they installed stoplight cameras all over... N the cops been getting ppl for 3 over the limit lol...it got so crazy, they were mocked in the news paper recently...but I dont judge to each their own.. I do see getting on it here and there... But some ppl street racing idk I cant put all those risks on the line... especially when gainsville 1/4 mile track is so close haha

#14 ·
Well now I'm on a computer, generally when i come on this forum I'm on my cell phone and i use voice dictation and hit send. Further, i dont use Yahoo, nor do I consider anyone to be my "texting" buddy, and funny enough I'm not pretending to be a gangster. I both work 50 hrs per week as well as attend college full time, i had some interest in this vehicle, HENCE the reason I even joined the forum in the first place. I do not have the time nor the energy to spell check and make sure every post is exactly grammatically correct, interestingly enough, hardly any post anywhere on this entire forum is exactly "grammatically" correct.
Well that's life, thank you all anyway for your information regarding my questions.

#15 ·
Well now I'm on a computer, generally when i come on this forum I'm on my cell phone and i use voice dictation and hit send. Further, i dont use Yahoo, nor do I consider anyone to be my "texting" buddy, and funny enough I'm not pretending to be a gangster. I both work 50 hrs per week as well as attend college full time, i had some interest in this vehicle, HENCE the reason I even joined the forum in the first place. I do not have the time nor the energy to spell check and make sure every post is exactly grammatically correct, interestingly enough, hardly any post anywhere on this entire forum is exactly "grammatically" correct.
Well that's life, thank you all anyway for your information regarding my questions.

#16 ·
They had some fun at your expense, but if you think this is bad. Try other forums...don't let them ruffle your feathers. None of it was done to be a real jerk. Not everything is perfect on forums. This forum just asks you try and make it easy to read for people that want to help others. Just asking for you to try...

Sometimes the sarcasam from people on here is hard to see.

Back to on topic discussion. Does SPT even make a air intake for 2011s? It looks like all signs point to "no". http://www.driveperformance.subaru.com/dp73_bits.aspx?page=2

#17 ·
2002 wrx impreza trans problems and compreshion problems with frunt mount

i have a 2002 wrx i reaselentley took off the top end of the moter to axcess the trans but ran in to a problem my trans wont come out of 1st gear tryed everything on it but still the thing isent budging will some one let me know if this is a major or miner problem and if eany one in rth reno airea will be willing to help me out on thiss
:confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.