Subaru WRX Forum banner

Electric Cutout?

11K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Subarufan123 
#1 ·
Decided I wanted to change my exhaust setup a little so I decided to get something that's going to up the noise level quite a bit. The Gymkhana 1 Axle Back to be exact. My subie is to quiet therefore I had to change that. How hard is it to do an electric cutout? My cars gonna be a cop magnet. Eventually I want to be able to make it quiet when I'm cruising past cops.

#2 ·
Hmm you live in Colorado. Means lots of salt and snow that can be lodged in the e-cut out making it not work as designed and getting stuck in the open or close position. I wanted something like that befor as wellbut started reading the ups and downs and for roughly 200-300$ ifyou wanna go loud just put a straight pipe in. Mostofthe guys on here will advice not to do either but ifyou want loud I'd suggest having a local shop make a straight axle back. For less then 100$. Rant over lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
I went a head and ordered the Axle Back Friday. I want it to loud no doubt about that lol.

Shouldn't be hard for any exhaust shop to install. Wiring should be as simple as power, ground, and a switch. Cut-outs are known to leak though.
Gotcha, Just a thought I did want to be considerate of others which is why I was thinking about an Electric cutout.

As far as being easy to setup its a 4/10 kind of install. you would need a decent set of hand tools and a lift. depending on what cutoff kit you buy it could be as quick as a few hours. most kits come with a wiring harness that just needs power\ground and a control switch so wiring is really easy. once they're mounted and the wires are run inside the car you just flip the switch to bypass your cat-back.

Just because they are easy to install doesn't mean they would be good for your setup. turbocharged engines need some back pressure to keep your turbo happy. Id call your favorite tuner shop and chat with them about exhaust cuttoffs before you buy a kit.

/old guy rant/ I dont recommend you running cutoffs on our engines, loud doesnt mean more power. look into a turbo back setup with a couple of resonators to eliminate drone. Please dont be that guy running straight pipe loud all day long until you roll by a police officer. please reserve your open pipes for the track and keep the cutoff closed when your driving through the neighborhood. /old guy rant over/
I realize it doesn't mean more power, It's the noise factor for me. I love them loud which is why I wanted to do the considerate thing and get an EC for it. Any other suggestions as to how I can control the Noise level then? I dont want to run it obnoxiously loud all the time. Already ordered the Gymkhana 1 Axle Back Friday.

#4 ·
As far as being easy to setup its a 4/10 kind of install. you would need a decent set of hand tools and a lift. depending on what cutoff kit you buy it could be as quick as a few hours. most kits come with a wiring harness that just needs power\ground and a control switch so wiring is really easy. once they're mounted and the wires are run inside the car you just flip the switch to bypass your cat-back.

Just because they are easy to install doesn't mean they would be good for your setup. turbocharged engines need some back pressure to keep your turbo happy. Id call your favorite tuner shop and chat with them about exhaust cuttoffs before you buy a kit.

/old guy rant/ I dont recommend you running cutoffs on our engines, loud doesnt mean more power. look into a turbo back setup with a couple of resonators to eliminate drone. Please dont be that guy running straight pipe loud all day long until you roll by a police officer. please reserve your open pipes for the track and keep the cutoff closed when your driving through the neighborhood. /old guy rant over/

#12 ·
It doesn't require it. It was just a thought on the cutout. For the axle back though I've been wanting something like gymkhana 1 so I went a head and ordered it. If it gets to loud I can always change back to my current setup.

Keith, I thought about doing this a long time ago as well..... But my reasoning was to scare old folks and animals.... For defensive purposes of course.
lol

#14 ·
Yeah cause old people and animals are always out to get a man in his car...beeotchs be all crazy...!Laugh!

OP I was referring to the cutout, I really don't understand the purpose...then again maybe I'm one of those old people Paul wants to scare...:D

#15 ·
Nahh Keith.... it's the ones that drive 50 in the fast lane..... or the ppl that walk their dogs that I remember dropping a load on my effin lawn and leaving it for me to step in.

Oh, forgot about this most recent July 4th..... Ppl in the neighborhood popping fireworks off till 4am.... I was PISSED. So, at 5am I disconnected my catback and ran around the hood like a crazed lunatic. I get back at 6am and the wife looks at me and says "do you feel better"? Yes I do honey...yes I do.

No sound ordinance out here.... goes both ways.

#19 ·
That sounds like you for sure Keith, and for the one who started this post, going with 3" from your turbo back with just a Cobb DP is dangerously loud! Trust me the busy way to avoid getting pulled over is when you see a cop is to up shift a gear or two and your safe not need for cut outs, just gives another thing to go wrong on your car that is not needed

#20 ·
Exactly why I asked, wasn't sure if they were safe for my WRX, and I was just curious how the install was difficulty wise. I want my car loud but I know alot of people don't want em loud so I was trying to think of some ideas that might possibly allow me to control noise level a little. I will be running the OEM DP like I've been doing even though I know it's still going to be ridiculously loud with or without an aftermarket DP. Thanks for the tip! If that works then I won't really worry about it.

#21 ·
If you are still really keen on running cut outs, I can give you a number to a exhaust shop here in Cali that does all my work, he actually does a lot of cut outs on drift subies out here and he can give you all the info you can think of on then but personally since this will be you DD car you don't want to run something like that on your car because that is just one extra thing to go bad, trust me, going a muffler delete and a 3" pipe is crazy loud!! Because my sound system my car is the loudest car in my city, just be smart about when u rev up your motor is all I can tell you

I have posted a video recently of a clip of my exhaust on a strait pipe thread, you should check it out, but when you do it is about 5x more loud in person then with the video

#22 ·
Yeah, I dont normally haul in my WRX. I'm normally cruising in the lower rpm range. 3-3.5k rpm's. I should be okay, just going to be careful. I dont see any reason why I should get pulled over when the Mustangs, Camaro's, and diesel's all run aftermarket exhaust. Any way you could post the thread in a reply?

#25 ·
So trust me, going with what I have is illegal here in Cali but like I said, what ever you do, just be smart with it, because I don't want to see you posting up on here that you have to get a new exhaust because your in trouble with the cops

#27 ·
I have that covered. I'll more than likely be hard headed and keep it on even if I get in trouble lol. I'm not an obnoxious driver who likes to show off or anything though so I don't think I'll get in to much trouble. I have my current setup so if anything I can always switch back. Not gonna buy a new setup after this one.

As said above, not hard to do. But in your area, unless this is not your DD, it's not ideal for sealing purposes & seen them fail many times in areas like yours as well.

Personally, Id opt for a compromise instead of a cutout.
It's my daily, after hearing about the problems with cutouts I want be installing one on my car. Just going to be careful with how I drive my Rex.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.