Subaru WRX Forum banner

EJ22 build

3K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  mosc 
#1 ·
hey guys i have an 03 WRX, recently melted a piston and replaced entire block with an ej22t. i wanna do some minor mods, already have 3in exhaust and intake, i would like a better manifold some bigger injectors and larger top mount. anybody have any feedback? where could i find a cheap STI top mount? and some 550s?

#4 ·
Well if you got an EJ205 top end you shouldn't have to worry about much to make it work. If you want to upgrade the exhaust manifold I'd send your pipes out to grimmspeed while you got it ripped up and have them do a P&P on it. It's a pretty good setup for a lot more power than stock if you do that. Injectors I wouldn't bother trying to find the old JDM STi ones (pinks) and instead just modify the ones from the EJ205. Should get at least 700 out of em safely. Need a fuel pump if you want to use that btw but that's no big deal. Top mount you can get used 04-07 STi ones from nasioc but they tend to be overpriced and they're not that big (although more efficient than the stock WRX one). If you're getting a bigger turbo down the road, and why not with that closed deck bottom end, you might consider a larger aftermarket top mount.

I don't know what crank and piston combinations you can get away with connecting up the EJ22t and the EJ205, hopefully you figured all that out. It's not the most common of pairings. Maybe one of our engine gurus can chime in on what guts you need to pair them.

#9 ·
That's not going to happen either. Your power goals are unrealistic for what you intend to accomplish them with. You don't seem to have a real goal set. You need to do that before you spend a dime modding the car. What's done to it now?

Larger injectors, fuel pump, and a retune are mandatory now that you have a larger engine. You don't have a choice on whether to get them or not.

#8 ·
Justin,

I'd recommend reviewing your rebuild goals with a builder, as part of your planning. You'll save a lot of headaches with some simple up-front planning.

You'll need a larger turbo to attain 300 whp, stronger internals, upgraded fuel system, etc. and a builder or a performance shop can help you select items that are compatible and consistent with your target power goals and budget.

In general the more power you want the bigger the budget you'll need, something like:

1. OEM rebuild - 4 $k,
2. 300 whp - 6 $k, and
3. 400 whp - 10 $k.

I'm guessing with these approx. costs so don't hold me to them, but I'm planning an OEM rebuild as a result of this cost-escalation reality.

It's fun and exciting at the same time, but I only have a budget to do it right the first time.

#11 · (Edited)
Justin,

The 2.0L's fuel system won't likely keep up to the 2.2L motor. Modified injectors would work, if the pump can keep up. I'm told it's marginal on 10+ year old gear.

I was looking into building a 2.2L stroker with an STi crank and rods, and that's the same guidance I got. Upgrade the injectors and fuel pump.

Although I could get an STi crank and rods for $350 and DW injectors and pump are $650, it's becomes an additional $1,000 on a build for this stroker engine. Plus a custom tune would be required for it, as the COBB AP off the shelf maps aren't suitable.

#12 ·
thank you, i will invest in a better fuel system, and take it to a performance shop to help guide me with the build. i will also keep you guys posted on the status of the build. thanks again for all the feedback so that i dont blow this car up.. this is a great forum and i will be a regular on here:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.