DSM powered WRX?? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
DSM powered WRX??

so... i bought an 02 wrx with 72,xxx miles on it and it needed a bearing in the tranny. i pulled the tranny out to fix the bearing and after that i was just inspecting the rear of my engine, the turbo, and everything i could see, well, i saw a mitsubshi logo on my turbo. what could it be? a gsx turbo?? cant get pics but there are no id numbers or anything on it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
The turbos on the wrx are made by mitsubishi. I believe the the td-04 is the same turbo that's in the vr4.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#3 Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to basco Send a message via MSN to basco
yep we have mitsu turbos...and the VR-4 does use a TD04 but im not sure if it is the same one as there are a lot of different models

FP GT35R MoTeC M800 AndrewTech PPG'd Wagon - 513AWHP
06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#4 Old 06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
tdo4-13t if i remeber? but yes dont be afraid ## stock turbo ###### does say that lol
#5 Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to basco is a WRX expert worth listening to
yup we run the 13T in the US...i just wasn't sure about the VR-4

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#6 Old 06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
haha ok. thanks for claring that up for me guys. i was told it was an unmolested stocker but then i saw this and thought-!Cry! but now its good to know its stock. kinda bittersweet though...
#7 Old 06-11-2009, 02:24 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Why? Subaru doesn't make a lot of the parts in your car, including turbos. Mitsu turbos, especially the smaller ones, are very nice. Later years switched to inferior IHI turbos. Consider yourself lucky!

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#8 Old 06-12-2009, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
A buddy of mine used to have a GSX and that thing flew. he had it tuned at something rediculous. i want to say he was pushing like 22lbs? i think thats what he said.. ive read around and i think i gathered that the stock ej205 internals can handle around 19psi at the max??
#9 Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

yeah but the GSX's come stock with 16G's...and the 205 can handle a little more than that...mine held 21lbs on a VF34 for 4 years till the rod bearings gave out...and that was after I pushed it to its limit almost everyday

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#10 Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
so, theoretically, i could get a 16g from a gsx and swap the turbos? but then again, this is a noob talkin.
#11 Old 06-12-2009, 08:39 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
No, the layout is different. "16G" just means a rough sizing of the compressor (although there are dozens of 16G compressors out there). The actual turbo in question will not be a "bolt-on" unless it shares the same layouts. Turbos come in multiple layouts with the same name.

Could you strap a similar sized turbo to the one on the GSX? Yes. You could strap a lot of things on there.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#12 Old 06-12-2009, 10:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

Kyole is an unknown
ahh. i see. yeah im new to these small displacement turbo engines... but im loving every second of my wrx
#13 Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

jed344 is an unknown
if the GSX had stock turbo and ## are refering to awd eclipse then no it will not have a 16g it would have had a T-25 i think
#14 Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed344 View Post
if the GSX had stock turbo and ## are refering to awd eclipse then no it will not have a 16g it would have had a T-25 i think
sorry you are completely correct...I got my evo confused with the GSX...both have basically the same drivetrain...GSX's are the T-25

06 Mazdaspeed6 280/330
- Matt
#15 Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
You could strap a lot of things on there.
It's true. I think I saw a video online of a Toyota Supra with a turbo from a train bolted on it. With enough time and money, you can probably do just about anything.

Picking out a turbo is a giant headache for noobs like me though. I almost think there are too many different turbos out there and I get overwhelmed easily by all of the different options. It seems to me, the decision basically comes down to how much money you have to spend on the entire setup.

John
07 WRX