Subaru WRX Forum banner

Does subaru or any third party company make non warrenty violating mods

4K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  sburck 
#1 ·
Im wondering if there is a third party company like dinan is to bmw, or any subaru performance parts made by subaru, that will not void a warrenty?

#2 ·
sheesh, here we go again with "void the warranty". What a stupid phrase.

Anyway, there is a branding called SPT but they don't make very much. Basically just an intake and a catback. If you've got an 08+, those are power mods. If you have an earlier car, they don't do too much besides make your car sound different.

#3 ·
Im wondering if there is a third party company like dinan is to bmw, or any subaru performance parts made by subaru, that will not void a warrenty?
Well, you got 1/3 of their name already! Yes, just like dinan is to bmw, Nismo is to Nissan, TRD is to toyota, mugen is to honda; spt is for Subarus... (at least, i'm assuming thats what S and P stand for. Maybe Technology for T???)

#4 ·
.... Mugen is only associated with honda because of the new limited edition mugen Si. which only came with mugen wheels, shifter, spoiler and ground effects. They only made a few of them, and as far as i know have no other plans to make anymore in the future. Now if you mean HFP. Which stands for Honda factory Performance, thats different, they offer warranty ground effects, mufflers, suspension, stupid underglow kits, and 18" wheels. Other than that, Mugen has no other association with American Honda Motor Co.

#8 ·
Yeah and going up to a rousch or shelby stang, most of the time voids the warranty. So, most of the "dealership upgrades come at a price." SPT, like mosc said are warranty friendly. But, don't do a whole lot. Unless your 08 or newer. SPT also has a inflated price tag of the product they had someone else design. I can't remember where they got the SPT catback from. But, I'm sure they had someone else design the intake and slapped their insignia on it as well.

#10 ·
it's subaru performance tuning. and their intake is worth every penny in my opinion. you could get it from subaru dealership n install it yourself n it's legal too. 209 for the intake n 90 for the heat shield. MAKES YOUR CAR SOUND AMAZING!!! well atleast it did to mine, other than that it's stock lol :(

#16 ·
Poorly designed intakes cause turbulence and often use a different diameter pipe where the MAF meter is. I've heard good things about SPT and Cobb. I removed the resonator and got a K&N Panel filter. This is as good performance wise for my setup and cost aroud $20.
$20<$209

BTW there is not an O2 sensor in the intake.

#19 ·
A cold air intake is defined as an intake that pulls air from outside the engine bay. The SPT intake does not, it is mounted inside the engine bay. Effectively, a CAI on a WRX is going to have to have a major bend and then pull from the passenger side fender. That bend is the problem. The SPT intake (like the cobb intake) matches the stock pattern but terminates in a cone filter rather than an airbox.

#23 ·
Yes, the intake works with or without the air box. The air box is a glorified heat shield. It's main purpose is to shield the intake form heat under your hood. $265 seems a lot to pay for just a heat shield but it's a nice offering.

#24 ·
As a newb I bought an intake off of ebay but learned I had wasted my money brfore I even received in the mail. When I took off the resonator I used some of the aluminum tubing from the intake to direct air from the fender area into the stock airbox. It is not a cold air intake by definition but it does not suck hot engine air either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.