Do all stock WRX clutches have a high engagement point? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-27-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Subarufan123 is an unknown
Do all stock WRX clutches have a high engagement point?

02-07's specifically, do they all have high engagement points? I've been curious about this for a while and wanted to get opinions. My Bugeye engages 3/4's of the way up from the floor. No signs of slippage what so ever. I've driven several of the newer STi's and WRX's and they all seem to grab 2/4's of the way up from the floor at least.

Last edited by Subarufan123; 07-27-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
the 05 I rebuilt back in High school had a pretty low (like 1/3) engagement point but that was with an aftermarket 6 puck clutch. How many miles are on the current clutch? It could be wearing thin but not failing yet. OEM clutches run for a really long time if you dont beat on them and Ive had 2 cars with clutches that grabbed nicely until they day they didn't grab at all : (

You might want to check the clutch master cylinder, I used to install spacers between the clutch cylinder and the firewall to adjust clutch engagement height when everything is verified and working. I recently adjusted the pedal height on a buddys FRS by backing out the locking nut on the clutch master cylinder and screwing out the pedal yolk ( after disconnecting it from the pedal, DO NOT rotate the clutch master cylinder piston rod). I'm pretty sure the same applies to the 02-07 if you want the engagement height to be lower and to decrease the throw of the pedal a bit.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #3 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
the 05 I rebuilt back in High school had a pretty low (like 1/3) engagement point but that was with an aftermarket 6 puck clutch. How many miles are on the current clutch? It could be wearing thin but not failing yet. OEM clutches run for a really long time if you dont beat on them and Ive had 2 cars with clutches that grabbed nicely until they day they didn't grab at all : (

You might want to check the clutch master cylinder, I used to install spacers between the clutch cylinder and the firewall to adjust clutch engagement height when everything is verified and working. I recently adjusted the pedal height on a buddys FRS by backing out the locking nut on the clutch master cylinder and screwing out the pedal yolk ( after disconnecting it from the pedal, DO NOT rotate the clutch master cylinder piston rod). I'm pretty sure the same applies to the 02-07 if you want the engagement height to be lower and to decrease the throw of the pedal a bit.
I have 120k on my WRX. Not sure if the clutch was replaced when I bought it at 108k. It catches fine, no slippage, nothing that would worry me. Still has pressure and everything.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 07:11 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I bought an 04 WRX new, the engagement point was lower than I expected it to be. In general, Subarus clutch points are low if anything.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #5 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 08:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarufan123 View Post
I have 120k on my WRX. Not sure if the clutch was replaced when I bought it at 108k. It catches fine, no slippage, nothing that would worry me. Still has pressure and everything.
As long as everything seems to be working you may be able to adjust the clutch pedal position and make it feel better, Is the clutch pedal higher than the brake pedal? someone may have replaced the clutch master cylinder and didn't adjust the pedal, or they may have had it adjusted if the driver was particularly short or had hip problems. If its catching OK and its feels good to you then don't change it, clutch feel is about how you like it, as long as it grabs.

Personally I like it to catch around 1/3 - 1/2 way up the total that way I can feather the clutch without putting strain on my talocalceneal joint,Its particularly sensitive after a long days work (titanium in my ankle from falling off a waterfall)

Jason
13 WRX Hatch - Cobb OTS Stage 1
post #6 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
As long as everything seems to be working you may be able to adjust the clutch pedal position and make it feel better, Is the clutch pedal higher than the brake pedal? someone may have replaced the clutch master cylinder and didn't adjust the pedal, or they may have had it adjusted if the driver was particularly short or had hip problems. If its catching OK and its feels good to you then don't change it, clutch feel is about how you like it, as long as it grabs.

Personally I like it to catch around 1/3 - 1/2 way up the total that way I can feather the clutch without putting strain on my talocalceneal joint,Its particularly sensitive after a long days work (titanium in my ankle from falling off a waterfall)
Could the heat also effect the clutch at all? I have noticed it gets softer when it gets extremely hot outside. let's say like high 90's.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosc View Post
I bought an 04 WRX new, the engagement point was lower than I expected it to be. In general, Subarus clutch points are low if anything.
So maybe my clutch is getting worn out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement