DILEMMA. Please chime in! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-20-2012, 11:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

carotte is an unknown
DILEMMA. Please chime in!

Hi there, I'm new to the forums, new to Subarus. I am very excited about owning a WRX/STI soon and need some wisdom. My choice right now are:

2010 WRX STI (red)
23k miles, 1 year left of warranty (planning on purchasing extended warranty for $1500)
No mods, just tint, mudflap
Owned by an older gentleman who is looking to get a Cadillac
$28500 + tax = $30000 (roughly)

2011 WRX (base model)
30k miles, extended 6 year warranty
No mods
$21000 + tax = $22500 (roughly)

My uses are:

1) Daily driver
2) Spirited driving through the mountains (live in Northern California)
3) Towing a motorcycle to the tracks (less than 700 lbs)

I'm more of a bike guy, but can definitely appreciate the performance in cars and I'm hoping this dive into the WRX/STI world will be a solid start.

STI or WRX? Is it worth the extra dough? Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
WRX in your case.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#3 Old 12-20-2012, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Ditto. WRXs make great DDs. Then again, so do STis. I'm a bit biased though

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)
#4 Old 12-21-2012, 03:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Both sound good, and I'm a fan of red 2010+ sti's. the smart choice for you tho is the wrx.
Curious on the color?

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#5 Old 12-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage
The gap between the WRX and STI is just too big to justify IMO. It averages 6-7k higher and with that kinda money you could mod a WRX to put an STI to shame!! The thought of a red STI does tend to make me drool, as I'm extremely bias to the color, but def go with the WRX and mod the s*•t out of it. Or just enjoy paying $150+ less a month...up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#6 Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

carotte is an unknown
thanks everyone, the WRX is a dark grey. it's nice. I'll go with your advice and grab that then and spend some of the extra cash on foglights, tint, and accessport. do I need to buy a separate Cobb tune? (no idea how this works).
#7 Old 12-21-2012, 05:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
A reflash is recommended since the factory tune isn't the greatest. The access port will get you in the right direction.

DGM is also one of my favs

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#8 Old 01-11-2013, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
The gap between the WRX and STI is just too big to justify IMO. It averages 6-7k higher and with that kinda money you could mod a WRX to put an STI to shame!! The thought of a red STI does tend to make me drool, as I'm extremely bias to the color, but def go with the WRX and mod the s*•t out of it. Or just enjoy paying $150+ less a month...up to you.

Try swapping out a 5spd for a 6spd after you bought the WRX. That's going to run you 6k. Buying it new you also get: Older/better turbo layout, better differentials, better brakes, HIDs from the factory, and also a bunch of little bits that don't jump out at you until you drive one. Oh...and the 6spd for the price of 6-7k more out of the factory vs aftermarket. So, its not such a bad deal if you really think about it. Power is not the end all be all and I get sick of the "same as a STI" arguement. Its not the same until it is modified the same or better. To truely be better you have to take it all into account and not just numbers.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#9 Old 01-12-2013, 03:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Get the WRX, spend 500$ or so on the Cobb Accessport. Mod the heck out of the suspension and go tearing down US.299 until you hit Reno with the money you saved. Enjoy the nightlife. Then turn around and don't stop until you hit Arcada and enjoy the local foliage. Not to mention cheaper insurance.

The sensation is as hard to forget as it is to ignore!!!
#10 Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Oh believe me Turmic I've driven them and I certainly thought about buying one when I got my 13'. The 6MT isn't worth 6-7k either though IMO, as the 0-60MPH on both are again to close to justify the money. I've had 2 6MT cars prior to my wrx and for the 6-7k spread I'll take a 5MT. Plus seeing I'm not tracking my car on the weekends the brakes, diff, suspension, and fancy STI badges are things I can go without. I def don't think a wrx is the same as an STI, but I do know for a fact that about $1500 in mods/tunes can make you faster than one...just sayin.

#11 Old 01-14-2013, 12:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Yeah, I just like knowing my car has all the limited slip diffs possible for winter. Sometimes the mechanical is more useful than the electronical nannys. But, otherwise both cars are awesome and I owned a 06 WRX TR before I got my STI. So...I'm not hating on either model.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#12 Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bryce'sWRX is an unknown
Garage
I'd go with the WRX, if your not all about the extra HP in the STI and your going for a DD, plus I guess going with the norms, you see more wrx's with bike racks or towing a small trailer then an STI. Cheaper insurance, less money, more practical. WRX all the way baby

Suby4L
#13 Old 01-14-2013, 03:16 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
Oh believe me Turmic I've driven them and I certainly thought about buying one when I got my 13'. The 6MT isn't worth 6-7k either though IMO, as the 0-60MPH on both are again to close to justify the money. I've had 2 6MT cars prior to my wrx and for the 6-7k spread I'll take a 5MT. Plus seeing I'm not tracking my car on the weekends the brakes, diff, suspension, and fancy STI badges are things I can go without. I def don't think a wrx is the same as an STI, but I do know for a fact that about $1500 in mods/tunes can make you faster than one...just sayin.
So much rage generated in me from reading this. Not your fault, mostly, but still. GRRR!

I mean, 0-60 is great an all but have you looked at 0-55 and 0-75? I mean there's this issue with these cars where they have to SHIFT, maybe you've heard of it? If you pick speed points based on shifting lines, you can make some rather strange conclusions on performance....

For $1500 in mods/tunes, you can make a 20 year old honda civic be faster than your WRX from 0-60, what's your point exactly? If you like 0-60 and you like saving money, you bought a really shitty car man! Just sayin'

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#14 Old 01-14-2013, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Wow...lol! The 0-60 was just one of the reasons I mentioned, not the basis behind my whole statement. The $1500 invested would give straight OVERALL hp gains over an STI. just wait, I'll be posting my tune/dyno thread in about 2 weeks and I'll show you young grasshoppa. Don't be mad at me cause you wasted 6-7k

#15 Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

Garage
The WRX/STI war is one that'll never be agreed apon by everyone plain an simple. Its like talking about BOV's or CAI's...just never ending disagreement. Honestly, people on forums get way to serious though lol...