Subaru WRX Forum banner

Did the factory paint the cam gears?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 wrx that I just bought with 108k on it and I am trying to figure out if the timing belt was changed. The person i bought it from said that it had been changed at 90k but didn't have a receipt for it. There is no lettering on the belt that I can find but it looks to be in ok shape. I did notice that there was white and blue paint on the cam gears though. Did the factory paint the marks on the cam gears? Any other hints to as how I can tell if it was done? Carfax did not say anything.

#2 ·
There should be three (I think) sets of either one or two tick marks on each cam gear so you can find top dead center easily and properly line everything up.

If the belt is blue, it has been changed to an aftermarket Gates timing belt. If it's black, it will be hard to tell if it has been changed just by looking at it. If you plan on keeping the car for a long period of time and you don't trust the person who owned the car before you, you might want to consider changing it. If you think you might only have it for a short period of time and you trust the previous owner's word that it has been changed, don't worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.