Creaky struts? - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 31 Old 01-02-2013, 11:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Teins are harsh and bouncy, due to the fact that they are not valved properly for poor US road conditions and known for rusting, causing the adjustments to seize.

If you're not racing on a competitive basis, coilovers are a waste of money due to the costs involved in getting a good setup, highly redundant adjustability given street use, higher levels of maintenance (they require upkeep , periodic rebuilds, and removal every winter where as struts are maintenance free), and reduced reliability compared to struts. If you can't out drive your struts and springs, you may not be spending your money as well as you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostBum View Post
It won't be any time soon that I'll be able to aford them but I was thinking maybe Tein coilovers. And its my everyday driver so I don't do nothing major.
Forget coilovers and just replace the struts. That would be a waste of money on a daily driver.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #18 of 31 Old 01-09-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BoostBum is an unknown
Garage
Well I do want reduce the gap in between the wheel and the fender. Would I just need lowing springs?
post #19 of 31 Old 01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Then don't do tein coilovers. Matter a fact, I'd steer completely away from coilovers and do a nice spring strut combo.
Look into TIC.

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #20 of 31 Old 01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
If you want to drop it the correct way, check out a RCE yellow spring with a strut built to match. Again, you can find a good set up at TIC

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
post #21 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BoostBum is an unknown
Garage
I looked at TIC. I'll probably end up ordering from there.
Do you know how much the yellow springs will drop the ride height? I don't really care to drop to far I just don't want to look like I'm on stilts anymore haha.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-11-2013, 04:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Yellows are a little too harsh for GD Imprezas, esp if it's a DD. I would opt for Swift Rs are RCE Blacks.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BoostBum is an unknown
Garage
How do you mean the yellows would be to harsh?
And I did some searching and found a thread on NASIOC that has pics of a bugeye with the look I would like. It's the silver bugeye in the third form the last post.
Here's the link:
Request - want to see your bugeye on RCE Black & Yellow Springs - Page 3 - NASIOC
post #24 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 12:05 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
BoostBum, springs have a specific springrate and a specific height. The suspension of your car is designed for a specific throw. If you want to "do it right", you increase spring rate in proportion with the drop. You can drop without the right springrate adjustment, but that's a visual mod that will adversely affect your handling. The resultant springrates from a substantial drop "done right" are quite high, that's all brfatal is getting at. Stiff springs are not much fun on a bumpy road.

I'd get the yellows though with d-spec struts. If you decide you care more about ride quality than 0.5" visual drop later on, the yellows are easy to sell and can be replaced with blacks on the same struts (though you will need to re-align the car again). They will substantially improve handling on a good bit of road (read: track) and deliver the visual you're looking for. If your priorities change later, you're not SOL.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #25 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 12:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostBum View Post
How do you mean the yellows would be to harsh?
And I did some searching and found a thread on NASIOC that has pics of a bugeye with the look I would like. It's the silver bugeye in the third form the last post.
Here's the link:
Request - want to see your bugeye on RCE Black & Yellow Springs - Page 3 - NASIOC
Too much of a compromise away from ride comfort. They are too jarring for many, especially if you regularly drive around with non-car people in your WRX. I have Swift Rs, which are only slightly less aggressive and my girlfriend sometimes gets motion sickness in my car.
post #26 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 12:08 PM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
I like the stock 04 STi springs. Even the 07 STi springs are too stiff for passengers IMHO.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #27 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BoostBum is an unknown
Garage
I have no problem with giving up a little visual for ride quality. And when the time comes ill go with the blacks instead of waiting money. And on Tic they give the option for group n top hats camber plates and all that. I plan on getting the top hats but should I get anything else?
post #28 of 31 Old 01-14-2013, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
1 set of camber bolts, new dust boots, and all new spring insulators.
post #29 of 31 Old 01-15-2013, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

BoostBum is an unknown
Garage
Alright, and just one last question.
Is there any specific brad of camber bolt that I should steer towards?

I know you guys probably get tired of all these repetitive questions on here but I appreciate the help.
post #30 of 31 Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Whiteline, SPC, and Eibach are all fine. It's just a bolt and a nut.