Subaru WRX Forum banner

Creaky struts?

4K views 30 replies 6 participants last post by  BoostBum 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if it is a bad sign if my struts creak when I go over a rise of a bump that makes my cars height fluctuate quicky? Anyone have any advice? Thanks!

#6 ·
IIRC... you should be able to use a stock setup from a 02-07 WRX.... With probably WAY less miles on nasioc or Clubwrx.net...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Maybe even a newer model suspension will work ??

#11 ·
Are you still on factory struts? If so, those things are essentially dead around 90k-100k miles, as stated. Your tophats are beyond replacement interval as well.

That being said, the noise can be something else. It could be your end links, it could be the spring insulation, etc.

#16 ·
Teins are harsh and bouncy, due to the fact that they are not valved properly for poor US road conditions and known for rusting, causing the adjustments to seize.

If you're not racing on a competitive basis, coilovers are a waste of money due to the costs involved in getting a good setup, highly redundant adjustability given street use, higher levels of maintenance (they require upkeep , periodic rebuilds, and removal every winter where as struts are maintenance free), and reduced reliability compared to struts. If you can't out drive your struts and springs, you may not be spending your money as well as you can.

#25 ·
Too much of a compromise away from ride comfort. They are too jarring for many, especially if you regularly drive around with non-car people in your WRX. I have Swift Rs, which are only slightly less aggressive and my girlfriend sometimes gets motion sickness in my car.

#24 ·
BoostBum, springs have a specific springrate and a specific height. The suspension of your car is designed for a specific throw. If you want to "do it right", you increase spring rate in proportion with the drop. You can drop without the right springrate adjustment, but that's a visual mod that will adversely affect your handling. The resultant springrates from a substantial drop "done right" are quite high, that's all brfatal is getting at. Stiff springs are not much fun on a bumpy road.

I'd get the yellows though with d-spec struts. If you decide you care more about ride quality than 0.5" visual drop later on, the yellows are easy to sell and can be replaced with blacks on the same struts (though you will need to re-align the car again). They will substantially improve handling on a good bit of road (read: track) and deliver the visual you're looking for. If your priorities change later, you're not SOL.

#27 ·
I have no problem with giving up a little visual for ride quality. And when the time comes ill go with the blacks instead of waiting money. And on Tic they give the option for group n top hats camber plates and all that. I plan on getting the top hats but should I get anything else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.