Subaru WRX Forum banner

A couple tire questions....

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  the RIOT act 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a couple tire questions, I bought a set of wheels for $90 that I refinished and they look nice now, they came with tires and one of the tires has a crease all the way around the sidewall, it looks as if someone drove it a short distance with low or no air, it holds air fine but I'm not sure if I should drive on it, I am frequently on the freeway.

Also, the other 3 tires are all good and have about the same tread left but none are matching... This kind of worries me but at the same time I hear about people driving awd cars all the time and blowing out 1 tire and just replacing the 1, I don't race or anything but I do like to do some spirited driving every now and then, any opinions on this? To me it doesn't make awd cars very practical if you put a nail through 1 tire and have to buy all 4 brand new matching tires... But I also like my differentials functioning.

I don't know if I should run them how they are, buy 1 tire for the creased one, or try and find all brand new tires or matching used tires, I can't really afford brand new set of 4 at the moment and it's about time to take my snows off...

Thanks guys

#3 ·
You said it yourself man...

You like your diffs working, you gotta buy tires unfortunately. Running unmatched tires is a no no for an AWD, I highly doubt the unmatched brands are matching 32nds, and that tire has def been run flat. It might hold air, but I assure you the first pothole or hard bump you hit, it's gonna fail.

Your tires need to be within 3/32nds of eachother all the way around, so please measure them with a gauge. If you REALLY can't afford x4 tires at the moment, and your remaining x3 are all within 3/32nds, you couullddd attempt to find a new tire (preferably one that's the same as opposite side/same axle) that's ALSO within 3/32nds of the old tires. But it's unlikely your x3 good tires are within 3/32nds of a new tire or themselves, so this is a long shot!

I would NOT advice doing the above, although everyone runs a different financial status and I respect that...so there's your ONLY option IMO. Don't mess around if the tires are not ALL within 3/32nds though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.