• 1 Post By the RIOT act
  • 1 Post By 06_hawk_eye
  • 1 Post By brfatal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 03-16-2014, 12:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
A couple tire questions....

Hey all, I have a couple tire questions, I bought a set of wheels for $90 that I refinished and they look nice now, they came with tires and one of the tires has a crease all the way around the sidewall, it looks as if someone drove it a short distance with low or no air, it holds air fine but I'm not sure if I should drive on it, I am frequently on the freeway.

Also, the other 3 tires are all good and have about the same tread left but none are matching... This kind of worries me but at the same time I hear about people driving awd cars all the time and blowing out 1 tire and just replacing the 1, I don't race or anything but I do like to do some spirited driving every now and then, any opinions on this? To me it doesn't make awd cars very practical if you put a nail through 1 tire and have to buy all 4 brand new matching tires... But I also like my differentials functioning.

I don't know if I should run them how they are, buy 1 tire for the creased one, or try and find all brand new tires or matching used tires, I can't really afford brand new set of 4 at the moment and it's about time to take my snows off...

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-16-2014, 02:54 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Get 4 matching tires with the same tread depth. You don't have to buy 4 new tires if you get a nail in one. All you have to do is plug it.
the RIOT act likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

the RIOT act is more helpful than not
Garage

You said it yourself man...

You like your diffs working, you gotta buy tires unfortunately. Running unmatched tires is a no no for an AWD, I highly doubt the unmatched brands are matching 32nds, and that tire has def been run flat. It might hold air, but I assure you the first pothole or hard bump you hit, it's gonna fail.

Your tires need to be within 3/32nds of eachother all the way around, so please measure them with a gauge. If you REALLY can't afford x4 tires at the moment, and your remaining x3 are all within 3/32nds, you couullddd attempt to find a new tire (preferably one that's the same as opposite side/same axle) that's ALSO within 3/32nds of the old tires. But it's unlikely your x3 good tires are within 3/32nds of a new tire or themselves, so this is a long shot!

I would NOT advice doing the above, although everyone runs a different financial status and I respect that...so there's your ONLY option IMO. Don't mess around if the tires are not ALL within 3/32nds though!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
boo-key bear likes this.

Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan
#4 Old 03-16-2014, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep an eye out on craigslist I guesse, I can't seem to find any in my area though, I've been looking for months, $350 for the cheapest new ones from discount tire might be my only option
#5 Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

Garage
That's seriously not bad man. You should do that!

arewmors likes this.

#6 Old 03-17-2014, 01:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

06_hawk_eye is an unknown
Hankooks from pep boys are only like 65$ a piece I paid 240 for my 4 235/40/17 I love them actually

justin93m likes this.
#7 Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM
Premium Member

Garage
^THIS OP^

#8 Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

14WRX is an unknown
I got some Falken Ziex 512 ultra high performance all season tires for a great deal from discount tire direct. These are exclusive to them. They are identical to the 912's but a fraction of the cost. 50K mile warranty so that's hard to beat as well.
#9 Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Find a new tire that's the same as what you have now. If the other tires aren't basically new, have the new tire shaved to match the rest.
the RIOT act likes this.
#10 Old 03-18-2014, 05:35 AM
Premium Member

Garage

I had to shave 2 of my snow tires actually. Def hard to find people that'll do it these days...