Subaru WRX Forum

Subaru WRX Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/)
-   Newbie Forum (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/)
-   -   Couple of questions (Flame suit on) (http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/couple-questions-flame-suit-32579/)

Darkcloud 06-04-2012 12:27 PM

Couple of questions (Flame suit on)

Been looking at about an 07ish wrx or wrx sti. Ive researched.the differences but cant decide. I know the sti has the better tranny, stronger internals, better brakes, ect. But im trying to decide if the extra cost of the sti is for me or if i should just get the wrx. Questions that u might want answered.

Will i be moding the car? Yes ###### a bunch of bolt ons cause i can never seem to leave a car stock but nothing crazy, ###### wont change the turbo.

Will i be taking the car to the track? Yes couple times a year for fun. Mostly road courses.

Goal for the car? 275-300 awhp with supension to back it.

I dont drive crazy at wide open all the time but i like to get on it from time to time. Will the regular.wrx be ok.for what im gonna do with it or will i break it before i ever acheive my goal? This is going to be my daily driver so i want it to be reliable. Thanks for any input.

pzr2874 06-04-2012 01:46 PM

STi hands down. Save yourself the tranny headache down the line.

No need for a flame suit here unless a couple of the troublemakers start to chime in... ie... Randy, Justin, Kirt, Kevin, Mosc and Josh.... Other than that, you will be golden :shhh:

Oh, and welcome!

BLAZE2099 06-04-2012 03:09 PM

STi!!!!! great suspension, and if you are like most.
If you dont, You will wish that you didn't buy a WRX, but an STi instead.

Welcome.......Hulk no angry;)

Darkcloud 06-04-2012 05:17 PM

Ok guess ill have to wait for a good one to come around. Only 07 sti locally for sale has 94k miles and they want 21k for it. Went and checked it out anyway. No heat sheilds in place plus all new exhaust hardware which leads me to believe it was previously moded and put back to stock. To many potiental miles that it was abused.

bad grocerygetter 06-04-2012 05:50 PM

[quote=pzr2874;280882]STi hands down. Save yourself the tranny headache down the line.

No need for a flame suit here unless a couple of the troublemakers start to chime in... ie... Randy, Justin, Kirt, Kevin, Mosc and Josh.... Other than that, you will be golden :shhh:

Oh, and welcome![/quote]

:D. Nice. I vote sti way better starting point and some cool goodies like the dccd. Not to mention your HP goal will be a bit easier to attain.

Papagoodtime 06-04-2012 05:51 PM

Hey there everyone as well kinda new, picked up my first subie this past dec... but darkcloud i too had the same question as you, and with me just buying my first as well is if you are buying a WRX only buy a 2009 or newer, otherwise get the STI, the difference between the WRX and the STI of the earlier years (08 and older) was drastic... In 2009 the car got redesigned, and is now right on the STI ass, the WRX suspention got beefed up, as well as the trany, and is only 30 awhp less than the STI, the older models WRX arnt worth buying and it seems like me and you both use the car for the same reasons...daily driver, but will get on it here and there, and a few track days a year...WRX 5 speed is quicker off the line, but the STI 6 speed is geared more for high top speed, 2009 newer WRX..2008 older and it HAS TO BE THE STI...spend a few extra grand and get a 09 .....oh Im Jon btw nice to meet you all

Papagoodtime 06-04-2012 06:18 PM

Oh i forgot to say, if you do ever go 09 wrx make sure you do it quick while it still has its powertran warrenty still, i got mine in dec 2011 have put 8xxx miles on it, and my cylinder 1 piston rod bearing slipped!Cry!, car was in shop for two weeks, they paid for the rentale car {vw passat} nice car, just not my taste, and i ended up getting a whole new short block which i guess got fine tuned in 2010 do to a handful of random bugs in the 09 shortblock, so the machainic said i now have better pistons/rings and piston rods and an extra oil passageway??? anyone here about this before:confused:.....not to worried i have been very happy with the car so far!!!:D

Darkcloud 06-04-2012 09:31 PM

That a pretty good idea but if im gonna spend the money (20k+) im gonna get the 04- 07 sti, the 08+ wrx are great but for the price of an 07 sti ill get more power potential. Only reason i was thinking the regular wrx is because im a cheap ass lol. ill just have to find ac 04-07 sti for a good deal in good condition. also the lady drives an evo :mad: so a normal wrx probably isn't going to cut it. ill keep you guys updated as to what i buy and i really appreciate the input.

mosc 06-05-2012 12:48 AM

07 STi with 90 some K he's asking 21? Man, these things are holding their value.

yelljack 06-12-2012 07:29 AM

The STi is hands down better for racing, but the insurance is a bit more...in some cases more than just a bit