Cooling system upgrade...overkill? - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-21-2012, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TDedmon is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to TDedmon
Cooling system upgrade...overkill?

Hey guys,
My '02 WRX wagon was overheating recently, and I am going to have to do some work on it and replace the thermostat. The car has 177k miles on it so I figure as long as i'm in there I might as well upgrade the cooling system with new silicone hoses, radiator, etc.

My logic is that with that many miles, the stock hoses and such are not far away from dry rotting and rather than chase problems around for the next year or so I should just nip everything in the bud.

Is this overkill? Should I just leave well enough alone and save my money for real problems that are around the corner? Oh and here is the really stupid question: do I run the risk of making my cooling system too efficient for my stock motor? Thanks for your help guys.

I'm not really looking at modding the car too extensively, I just want to make it bulletproof so that it will last forever, and I figure preventative maintenance is the best way to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-21-2012, 03:15 PM
WRXtuners Member

booosted09 is more helpful than not
Garage
I think it would be really hard to over-cool these motors. I don't see any problem with taking care of everything while your there. If money is an issue than just check your radiator for leaks before you buy a new one. If money really isn't an issue, do it up

so stock its not even funny...just kinda sad :(
-Randy
post #3 of 3 Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

TDedmon is an unknown
Send a message via Skype™ to TDedmon
Thanks! I htink the radiator is fine for leaks and whatnot, but after some inspection I believe it is some cheap-o generic radiator from an auto parts store, rather than one that really is optimized for our cars like a mishi or koyo etc. would be. The coolant reservoir is plastic and I just don't like the idea of such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement