coolent for 2004 sti - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
coolent for 2004 sti

i don't have the owners manual and sprung a leak, i got it patched up. but my tank is bone dry. so the question is what type of coolant do i use, is their a water mix and where do i fill it up to and how full
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2009, 10:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

jwtarbaj is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to jwtarbaj
I don't believe Subaru has ever used anything but normal coolant. There is a coolant additive you are supposed to add when you drain/refill. You should use 50/50 coolant, premix is much easier but you can mix yourself if you like.

To be sure call the dealer as I don't have an 04 let alone STI.
#3 Old 02-26-2009, 10:49 PM
WRXtuners Member

baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful baller_v24 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to baller_v24
well the owner's manual says to use the subaru coolant only.

anything works really just buy some 50/50 stuff. yea and the dealership uses a coolant conditioner on a drain/refill.

ive heard others use some redline produts as well Red Line Oil: Coolants and Others

rollin on 17's now and they're dirty
#4 Old 02-27-2009, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Here's a pretty in-depth write-up (with pics) about changing your coolant:
How To: DIY Engine Coolant Change - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Your coolant system should hold about 2 gallons of fluid. If you just want to top it off, your safest bet would probably be to go to your local dealership and purchase 2 gallons of pre-diluted Subaru OEM Coolant. If they only sell the undiluted stuff, you'll only need 1 gallon of that - but be sure to buy 1 gallon of distilled water and mix them both together. Now that you have 2 gallons of diluted fluid, wait until your car is cool and take off the metal fill reservoir cap (the one next to your tmic) and add the fluid there (because it's the highest point in the system) until it almost reaches the top of that reservoir. Leave the cap off, turn your car on, let it idle, and watch for bubbles to disappear in the reservoir. The car should idle until it gets up to your normal running temperature (probably about half way). It's a very good idea to have a second person keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure the car doesn't get too hot while you keep an eye on the disappearing bubbles in the reservoir. You might have to slightly rev the engine (to ~1,500 rpm) for about a minute or two to get the car up to temp. Once the car gets up to temp, the fluid should start to cycle through the system and the level in the reservoir should slightly drop - add fluid as necessary. Once the bubbles are gone, put the cap back on and go for a short ride. Again, keep an eye on the temp gauge and stop to let everything cool if it gets too hot (if this happens, you probably still have some air trapped in the system). If it heats up, pull over, let it cool, remove the metal reservoir fill cap, turn the car back on, watch for (especially the big ones) the bubbles disappear, replace the cap, and go home. If everything is ok, go back home, let it cool, and top off the fluid in your fill reservoir as well as your plastic tank by your radiator - it is normal for both levels to slightly drop after the test drive. That should do it. Depending how empty it was, it might not be a bad idea to add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter too. I'm a fan of the stuff. You can just put that in any time. Good luck!

Edit: I wouldn't add a bottle of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner unless you're completely draining/flushing the system. The above process should keep your car in good shape until your next scheduled coolant service.

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)

Last edited by man show; 02-27-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
#5 Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
Originally Posted by man show View Post
Here's a pretty in-depth write-up (with pics) about changing your coolant:
How To: DIY Engine Coolant Change - IWSTI.com: Subaru WRX STI Forums

Your coolant system should hold about 2 gallons of fluid. If you just want to top it off, your safest bet would probably be to go to your local dealership and purchase 2 gallons of pre-diluted Subaru OEM Coolant. If they only sell the undiluted stuff, you'll only need 1 gallon of that - but be sure to buy 1 gallon of distilled water and mix them both together. Now that you have 2 gallons of diluted fluid, wait until your car is cool and take off the metal fill reservoir cap (the one next to your tmic) and add the fluid there (because it's the highest point in the system) until it almost reaches the top of that reservoir. Leave the cap off, turn your car on, let it idle, and watch for bubbles to disappear in the reservoir. The car should idle until it gets up to your normal running temperature (probably about half way). It's a very good idea to have a second person keep an eye on the temp gauge to make sure the car doesn't get too hot while you keep an eye on the disappearing bubbles in the reservoir. You might have to slightly rev the engine (to ~1,500 rpm) for about a minute or two to get the car up to temp. Once the car gets up to temp, the fluid should start to cycle through the system and the level in the reservoir should slightly drop - add fluid as necessary. Once the bubbles are gone, put the cap back on and go for a short ride. Again, keep an eye on the temp gauge and stop to let everything cool if it gets too hot (if this happens, you probably still have some air trapped in the system). If it heats up, pull over, let it cool, remove the metal reservoir fill cap, turn the car back on, watch for (especially the big ones) the bubbles disappear, replace the cap, and go home. If everything is ok, go back home, let it cool, and top off the fluid in your fill reservoir as well as your plastic tank by your radiator - it is normal for both levels to slightly drop after the test drive. That should do it. Depending how empty it was, it might not be a bad idea to add a bottle of Redline Water Wetter too. I'm a fan of the stuff. You can just put that in any time. Good luck!

Edit: I wouldn't add a bottle of Subaru Cooling System Conditioner unless you're completely draining/flushing the system. The above process should keep your car in good shape until your next scheduled coolant service.
Stuff in bold is the most important things..........

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
#6 Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

nj kiter is an unknown
thank you hit the nail on the head nice writeup, only other thing is the nearest Subaru dealership is about forty minutes away, so it is ok to mix one gallon, with one gallon of distilled water.
#7 Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
Thanks, and I do apologize for the lengthy post, but I recently did this service to my own WRX in my garage and I wanted to share everything I learned with other people who might not know this stuff while it's still fresh in my head.

If your local dealership sells the full strength undiluted Subaru coolant, you'll want to buy 1 gallon of that and mix it with 1 gallon of distilled water so you end up with a 50-50 ratio of coolant to water (this is the slightly less expensive way to get 2 gallons of Subaru 50-50 mix). If the dealership sells the pre-diluted Subaru coolant, it will already contain a mixture of 50% coolant and 50% distilled water in each container, so you can just dump that in you car as is - just get whatever amount you think you'll need (2 gallons of that should be more than enough).

John
07 WRX (Albins 5MT + Blouch 20G)
Jorge Carrillo Tuned (365 whp/340 wtq)