Coil overs - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-02-2014, 05:29 PM
WRXtuners Member

lIttleredwrx is an unknown
Coil overs

I have a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX and I am looking to lower it. I have herd that damper coil overs would be the best way to go although I don't race my car at all, I use it as an everyday driver. I was told that function and form coil overs would be good but they are pretty expensive any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
just get a good set of springs. Any decent coil overs will be 1000+ and not needed if not tracking the car.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#3 Old 01-02-2014, 06:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright, would I need to get new struts or anything?
#4 Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
With your mileage, probably.

Coilovers are a waste of money if you don't race competively. A good set of struts and springs will drive circles around budget ($1,000-1,500) coilovers, be more reliable, and probably ride better.
#5 Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Alright cool, so I have found that H&R lowering springs would be good and I herd that Bilstein sport struts and shocks would be a good choice but they aren't available for my car. Do you know what would be a good alternative?
#6 Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key bear is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Yes, springs and struts would be idea because most springs on the market will wreak havoc on your stock struts. There are a few on the market that will work well when paired with the factory struts though. Whats your budget? Are you going more for the lower look, performance, or both? How much are you wanting to lower it (just get rid of some fender gap or hella flush stanced out yo)?

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#7 Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
I don't know of any Bilstein struts made for your car. How many miles on it?
#8 Old 01-02-2014, 09:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

I was thinking of 1.5" and My budget 500 but if I have to I will spend more. 120,000
#9 Old 01-02-2014, 10:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

Probably more towards getting rid of fender gap
#10 Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Generally speaking struts usually last 60-90k miles. They may not blow, but they stop working as well as they should. You are well into needing to replace them. Springs are the cheap part though, however the struts you will need to use them (that you need whether you get springs or not) are much more. On that kind of budget you are generally limiting yourself to something like KYB GR-2s or AGXs.
#11 Old 01-02-2014, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Garage
These are the springs I always recommend to use with stock struts. They have just the drop your looking for and will improve handling a bit. They are engineered to work with your stock struts. I suggest these and an alignment with the leftover from your budget. As mentioned above, struts do wear and need replacing eventually. Epic Engineering Lowering Springs Subaru WRX 2004-2007 EE-S-WGD-001 at RallySportDirect.com

Our resident vendor, pro import tuners might be able to hook you up with a better deal

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 01-03-2014, 01:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

Awesome thanks a lot for the info
#13 Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
I'll play devil's advocate here.

For the longest time, I had my heart set on good springs and struts (RCE Yellows and Tokico D-Specs), but when I did a price comparison, that setup actually ended up being several hundred dollars more than a set of brand new BC BR coilovers (installed with all necessary hardware). Ultimately, I wanted to significantly reduce wheel gap and even it out as much as possible. I also wanted a somewhat reasonable ride height so I could make it over most obstacles in the road. I currently have about a one finger gap all around with 4 inches of clearance under my front bumper (with the lip), which is perfect for clearing speed bumps and many inclined entrances. Sometimes I do scrape, but the plastic lip is pretty forgiving.

Granted, the coilovers are considered to be cheap and I have yet to see how long they actually last, but so far, I have 16k miles on them and haven't run into any issues. The shock towers have 30 clicks of adjustability (from soft to firm) and I currently have them almost as soft as they will go since it's winter time. The ride quality is generally pretty stiff, but certainly tolerable in my opinion. My dad thinks my car handles like a go-kart, but my mom doesn't seem to like it very much, so if you have a girlfriend, she probably won't like it either. Larger bumps in the road (usually overpass joints) will jar your backside a bit, but it's not necessarily painful, just more of a rude awakening if you're not expecting it.

Anyway, if that sounds like what you want, give them a shot. If you end up disliking them, the market for used coilovers is still huge since many people want to lower their cars as cheap as possible.
Attached Images

John
07 WRX
#14 Old 01-03-2014, 02:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
D-Specs and Yellows would out handle off-the-shelf BC BRs and likely last longer too given the inherit design flaw in BC's coilovers.

There are other coilovers for around the same amount that I could recommend, though you have to add top hat replacements on top of that (which OP should do anyways with 120k miles, though that's another $400-600 depending on what you get). For a DD, you'll find coilovers offer redundant features you will never use. Most people who use coilovers for street and adjust them once and never touch them again. It seems like a waste to pay for functionalities you're not using or even without taking full advantage of the one setting you do use (nobody can out-drive a spring/strut setup on public roads). :-/
#15 Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
And I'm gonna be the huge A-hole here that everyone disagrees with.
Just my .02, so no hating

I ran Megan lowering springs on KYB stock replacements for two years "ish"

From roughly 102k - 126k, on my 02 WRX
Springs were less than $200 and the struts were around $500.
The ride was still very tolerable as well. Not like stock, but not jarring enough to be annoyed.
The drop was roughly two inches after it all settled into place giving me about a one finger gap as well. Probably more like 1.75 inches actually.

Would I buy them again? Yes
Am I going to put them on my 11? NO

Only because I think I want BRs for adjustability.

Just my .02

Good luck. This decision is hard, I know

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew