Cobb Stage 2 91 octane Tune and An Invidia Catless Downpipe? 03 WRX - Subaru WRX Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Subarufan123 is an unknown
Cobb Stage 2 91 octane Tune and An Invidia Catless Downpipe? 03 WRX

Currently stage 1 with my 03 WRX. Will I be prone to boost creep? I always heard that 02, and 03 wrx's didn't have problems with boost creep after going catless. I just need my aftermarket downpipe and my exhaust will be complete. All catless if it's safe? Invidia catless Uppipe, OEM Downpipe, Turboxs 3in Midpipe, and a Crawford performance Gymkhana 1 Axleback so far. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-21-2014, 08:09 PM
WRXtuners Member

Bubba James is an unknown
2 weeks into stage 2 catless on my 03. No boost creep. As of yet anyway. Waiting on cobb to review my log, but had no issues that jumped out at me.
#3 Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba James View Post
2 weeks into stage 2 catless on my 03. No boost creep. As of yet anyway. Waiting on cobb to review my log, but had no issues that jumped out at me.
Okay well that makes me feel a little better. Are you running a LWG Map? I just don't see any point in spending 600 bucks on Cobb's catted downpipe, seems like a waste to me lol. How are you liking the results after the downpipe and stage 2 map?
#4 Old 05-21-2014, 11:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
You can, but it's less likely.
#5 Old 05-22-2014, 07:32 AM
WRXtuners Member

Nope, I'm on the normal map. No knock events, DAM at a perfect 16 constant. 93 oct tho. As far as the results, yeah I'm happy but want to get a few more pieces of the puzzle first. Fuel pump, new ecbs, and eventually a pro-tune after that. As long as your ride is maintained and solid, you'll be fine, my man.
Subarufan123 likes this.
#6 Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba James View Post
Nope, I'm on the normal map. No knock events, DAM at a perfect 16 constant. 93 oct tho. As far as the results, yeah I'm happy but want to get a few more pieces of the puzzle first. Fuel pump, new ecbs, and eventually a pro-tune after that. As long as your ride is maintained and solid, you'll be fine, my man.
Always man, Maintenance is extremely important to me. Every other couple days I get some knock feedback though, -2.11 and I rarely see -4.22 but it does show up occasionally. I need to fix my boost leak as well. I'm making just shy under 10 pounds right now when I'm suppose to be hitting 14.5 on my current map.
#7 Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM
WRXtuners Member

onethirtyeight is an unknown
I have been running a stage 2 91 octane with a catless downpipe and stock exhaust on my 02 for just over a week now. I haven't noticed any boost creep and when I ran my data log I hit 16.9 lbs of boost! No codes either!
Subarufan123 likes this.

2002 WRX Wagon-Up-pipe, Invidia Catless Bellmouth Downpipe, Stage 2 OTS, Jack-n-the box antenna ball
#8 Old 05-23-2014, 11:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful AllExtinct is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Ran stage 2 93oct. In my 02 for more than a yr and never had any issues.
Subarufan123 likes this.
#9 Old 05-23-2014, 08:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onethirtyeight View Post
I have been running a stage 2 91 octane with a catless downpipe and stock exhaust on my 02 for just over a week now. I haven't noticed any boost creep and when I ran my data log I hit 16.9 lbs of boost! No codes either!
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure my car would be safe. Looks like I'll do that next month so I can finally complete the exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllExtinct View Post
Ran stage 2 93oct. In my 02 for more than a yr and never had any issues.
Thank you for the feedback. Sounds pretty promising, definitely going to order it soon and install it.
#10 Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

STi_from_DSM is an unknown
91 Octane should be outlawed. I do not consider that premium. 92 or 93 octane should be premium, 89-91 should be mid grade.
BLAZE2099 likes this.

-Dan

13 WRX - Current - Nameless Axelback
03 Audi A4 1.8t SOLD
06 STi - Minor mods SOLD
#11 Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subarufan123 View Post
Currently stage 1 with my 03 WRX. Will I be prone to boost creep? I always heard that 02, and 03 wrx's didn't have problems with boost creep after going catless. I just need my aftermarket downpipe and my exhaust will be complete. All catless if it's safe? Invidia catless Uppipe, OEM Downpipe, Turboxs 3in Midpipe, and a Crawford performance Gymkhana 1 Axleback so far. Thanks!
You heard correctly.

(from Big Ron) Do I need engine management with a downpipe? For 02/03 WRX and 04-06 STI users, no. For 04+ WRX and 07+ STI users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with downpipe use. Tuning can ease this issue

Yet another reason bugeyes rule!

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#12 Old 06-17-2014, 04:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
You heard correctly.

(from Big Ron) Do I need engine management with a downpipe? For 02/03 WRX and 04-06 STI users, no. For 04+ WRX and 07+ STI users, it's pretty much a requirement as the open loop/closed loop fueling issue mandated by the EPA causes long term reliability problems with using a downpipe and no tuning. For STI users, the STI was the one exception manufacturers are allowed to have, but it's a wise move regardless as the STI and 06+ WRX users have a good chance of boost creep occuring with downpipe use. Tuning can ease this issue

Yet another reason bugeyes rule!
Hell yeah, well my birthday is coming up so I will be surprising my Bugeye with a nice new catless downpipe when I get paid . Figured I get some reassurance on here before I order one. Thanks man!
#13 Old 06-17-2014, 05:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
good luck and let us know how it goes!
Subarufan123 likes this.
#14 Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I'm actually going to install a Invidia catless Uppipe and a Invidia catless down pipe this weekend. I'm mating it up to a 3" Borla catback twin tip. Can't wait to hear it!

All wrapped up and ready to go!
 photo IMG_2298_zps109077dc.jpg

photo IMG_2308_zps05e5fa0b.jpg

photo IMG_2301_zpsdffc215a.jpg
Subarufan123 likes this.

All right, where is the distributor cap? I need to find the #1 plug wire to hook up my SUN machine.
#15 Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidrat View Post
I'm actually going to install a Invidia catless Uppipe and a Invidia catless down pipe this weekend. I'm mating it up to a 3" Borla catback twin tip. Can't wait to hear it!

All wrapped up and ready to go!
 photo IMG_2298_zps109077dc.jpg

photo IMG_2308_zps05e5fa0b.jpg

photo IMG_2301_zpsdffc215a.jpg
I'd have the wideband bung welded in first. I have the same setup and now I'll have to remove/rewrap the DP to put one in.