• 1 Post By boo-key bear
  • 2 Post By brfatal
  • 1 Post By turmic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 02-18-2014, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
Which clutch?

So I'm getting a new clutch soon but don't know what kind or what brand to get. Would like a more heavy duty/performance type but don't want to spend a fortune. Should I go with the exedy oem replacement, or a different "level" I guess you would call it. Don't have any mods yet, but do plan on getting some soon. Can anyone help me?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-18-2014, 11:17 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
@ ryan510 , I havent had to swap my clutch on my wrx yet but i have had good experience with excedy cermic / metal clutch packages, I had one of their stage 2 clutch packages with the triangle friction arrangement and it definitly got the power to the pavement. The only gripe I had was that the excedy stage 2 was less forgiving, if anyone else drives your car its a bit of a steeper learning curve because it grabs just a bit harder.

/second hand/One of the guys I used to work out with was running a stage2+ with a 6 puck and aside from it being really stiff on his clutch foot he was happy with the feeling. It was extremely solid but by the time he got to the gym he didnt have to workout his left leg anymore.

my advice, talk to a tuner, decide how far you want to go with your mods and get a clutch that's capable of handling a bit more than you think youll need, that way when you decide to upgrade again your transmission isnt holding you back.
Sub14WRX likes this.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#3 Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 AM
WRXtuners Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post

my advice, talk to a tuner, decide how far you want to go with your mods and get a clutch that's capable of handling a bit more than you think youll need, that way when you decide to upgrade again your transmission isnt holding you back.
^^+1 for this^^
arcticscythe likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#4 Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticscythe View Post
Firmly disagree. That's some pretty dangerous advice right there. When going with a clutch you're supposed to do the opposite. Find a clutch that will handle just what you want out of it and not excessively more. The clutch is intended to be the weak link in the drivetrain. It's disposable. Your gears and synchros, what you can wear/damage if you go too far, are not and are thus much more expensive to replace. Not to mention as you go more aggressive, clutches become less and less driver friendly.
Brockton and Epictofer like this.
#5 Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
I did talk to him, he recommended the exedy stage 2 clutch. What are some other good brands for stage 2 that aren't too expensive?

#6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful arcticscythe is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
Firmly disagree. That's some pretty dangerous advice right there. When going with a clutch you're supposed to do the opposite. Find a clutch that will handle just what you want out of it and not excessively more. The clutch is intended to be the weak link in the drivetrain. It's disposable. Your gears and synchros, what you can wear/damage if you go too far, are not and are thus much more expensive to replace. Not to mention as you go more aggressive, clutches become less and less driver friendly.
The mentality behind my process is to allow for "1 stage" of upgrading in the future without causing premature slip in a brand new clutch, @brfatal You are absolutely right that a overly aggressive clutch can cause trans damage but only if the driver does not handle it correctly. I wouldn't recommend a race clutch for a daily driver but ryan510 said he wanted a performance clutch, that leads me to believe that he intends on doing some serious upgrades and he is willing to put up with the harshness of a performance clutch.

If your looking for brands exceedy is the only brand I have ever used and the only brand i would recommend. If you are looking to avoid the harshness of a performance clutch you could go with a stage 1/2 full disk, Engagment should be a bit smoother for daily driving and while it gives you more torque handling than stock it will be more forgiving on higher torque applications.

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#7 Old 02-19-2014, 09:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan510 View Post
I did talk to him, he recommended the exedy stage 2 clutch. What are some other good brands for stage 2 that aren't too expensive?

I would absolutely go with what he recommends if you trust him.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#8 Old 02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Ryan510 is an unknown
I wouldn't say
"serious " upgrades but definitely stage 2/2.5 in the somewhat near future. Just want something that can handle more as well
#9 Old 02-19-2014, 11:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

If your planning on using it as your daily driver i would look into the ACT full plate clutches, they are rated for 400+ ft/lbs. Advanced Clutch Technology reccomends them for street and occasional race use so they should be pretty forgiving.

Depending on your power handling needs this one looks pretty good : )
2013 Subaru Impreza 4 Door Wagon WRX ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit

Jason
13 WRX Hatch
#10 Old 02-22-2014, 09:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan510 View Post
Driving a 2011 DGM sti sedan

Took...some liberty editing that quote. But, you should be able to upgrade the clutch on a STI without screwing anything up.
boo-key bear likes this.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae