Checked FAQ's and still need help. No boost! - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Momo is an unknown
Checked FAQ's and still need help. No boost!

I bought a used '02 WRX and now has 86,000 miles on it. The turbo finally busted and so my cousin "which supposedly knows turbo's" helped me replace mine. I replaced mine with a used stock (26,000 miles) turbo and my cousin helped hook it up. My cousin removed some of the hoses, telling that there are too many and can see where the previous own removed some mods, leaving a mess behind. One hose had the restrictor on it and the car ran fine, but after just a few months, the turbo was feeling weaker and weaker. I have a boost gauge and the turbo is still boosting 7-8lbs, but slower than usual and the BOV seems to be working fine. I put the hose with the restricter back on since other Forums stressed how important it is.

The turbo is boosting 7-8 lbs still, there doesn't seem to be a leak in the BOV and all hoses are on good and tight (I checked the lines over and over), but my engine is still got getting the boost. Turbo is boosting but the car feels like a 4 banger.....AHHHHH!! Help! Oh yeah, in case this helps, the turbo would hesitate at higher RPM's when the turbo was beginning to feel weaker until there feels like no boost, but my gauge tells me othewise. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 04:31 PM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
You either have an exhaust leak at the up-pipe or one of your intercooler/throttlebody hoses is loose.Why did you feel the need to post twice?
post #3 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 04:43 PM
WRXtuners Member

al5dsm is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to al5dsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momo
I bought a used '02 WRX and now has 86,000 miles on it. The turbo finally busted and so my cousin "which supposedly knows turbo's" helped me replace mine. I replaced mine with a used stock (26,000 miles) turbo and my cousin helped hook it up. My cousin removed some of the hoses, telling that there are too many and can see where the previous own removed some mods, leaving a mess behind. One hose had the restrictor on it and the car ran fine, but after just a few months, the turbo was feeling weaker and weaker. I have a boost gauge and the turbo is still boosting 7-8lbs, but slower than usual and the BOV seems to be working fine. I put the hose with the restricter back on since other Forums stressed how important it is.

The turbo is boosting 7-8 lbs still, there doesn't seem to be a leak in the BOV and all hoses are on good and tight (I checked the lines over and over), but my engine is still got getting the boost. Turbo is boosting but the car feels like a 4 banger.....AHHHHH!! Help! Oh yeah, in case this helps, the turbo would hesitate at higher RPM's when the turbo was beginning to feel weaker until there feels like no boost, but my gauge tells me othewise. Thanks!
You may have the hoses backwards. Base wastegate spring is around 7-8psi.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 07:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
What could've happened is that the previous owner had an mbc on there and took it off when he sold it to you. You're going to want to hook everything back up like stock to get your boost back.

Like dumdum said, check for any leaks as well.

I can take some pics of mine if it will help you with the hoses. Let me know.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
post #5 of 7 Old 01-29-2006, 11:09 PM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Did you reset your ECU after replacing the restricter pill?

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #6 of 7 Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Momo is an unknown
I tripple checked all my hoses and the downpipe of any leaks and everything seems to be on good. I'm sure the previous owner did have a manual boost controller because none of the hoses are hooked up to the wastegate control solenoid. Pictures of the lines would be super helpful because I have not had any luck in obtaining a vacuum diagram. Thanks for the help everyone!!
post #7 of 7 Old 02-25-2006, 02:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

9d2TSi is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to 9d2TSi Send a message via MSN to 9d2TSi
Here's a couple of pics that I just took. The line where the wg/comp housing is t'eed together goes into the bottom of the BCS. The line out the end of the BCS goes into the intake tract. If you look closely enough, there's a small bulge (about half way, right in the middle) in the tube between the "T" and the compressor housing, this is the pill that everyone's talking about. Check to see that your's is still in there.

Here's a pic of where the line out from the end of the BCS goes into.

My car is well, it's like 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb bag...

<------ Click to see what I'm workin' with. ;)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement