changing dash lights - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-10-2004, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
changing dash lights

I have search this forum and googled it. I just took my cluster out and found how easy it was to remove the bulbs. Uber simple. I counted I needed 13 bulbs to completely change color. Now for my question. I have read that there is a greenish film that covers the back of the cluster and I am afraid of spending the money on the bulbs and not be exactly what I want.

I plan on buying LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com becuase they are the cheapest and I have delt with them before. I want blue but will the brightness of the LEDs over ride the greenish tint or will it be a funky brownish color?

also I was trying to take my steering wheel column apart to get the the key light ring but for some reason could not. I had popped all of the plastic apart and released all of the clips but still it was catching on something. Any ideas?

thanks in advance.

Edit: after it stopped raining I went back out and found that there was a screw on the bottom half of the plastic column. so that is solved.

Last edited by Jave; 11-10-2004 at 01:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-11-2004, 03:00 AM
WRXtuners Member

zoinks is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to zoinks
I can tell you from experience that by just changing those bulbs, you aren't going to get a nice bright red dash. With just new bulb covers it turns out kinda brownish redish white. Check out my link at the bottom of this thread for a detailed how to....

I changed my clock to red!!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 11-11-2004, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Jave is more helpful than not
I dont plan on using bulb condoms, I am replacing them with Bright LED bulbs, I just wondering if the blue would be blue or blue green....
post #4 of 8 Old 11-11-2004, 02:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

zoinks is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to zoinks
Well blue will probably work better than red did for me. I still think that it would turn out aqua even with led's. I will say that all you need for the HVAC and stereo are bulb condoms because the bulbs in the stereo are soldered IIRC. They turn out very nice and bright. Just try the bulbs by themselves in the instruments and see how you like them. If they are close to what you want, I would say don't mess with scraping off the film because it's a pain in the arse. If you have any other Q's just ask.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

chukb2012 is an unknown
jave. i was wondering.. i have an 05 wrx. im sure its not too different from the 04.. im hoping anyways. im looking to convert to blue and was wondering what led's you bought? did you find the stock bulb numbers somewhere? im having a hard time finding them. thanks in advance.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

gunk007 is more helpful than not
FYI - this post is from 2004, not sure if you will get a response. Wish I could help.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
^ That and Jave hasn't been on the forums in 2 years.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #8 of 8 Old 05-23-2012, 09:58 PM
WRXtuners Member

Msegars88 is an unknown
Ive been workin on my dash lights. Learning the hard way cause I fubar my instrument cluster by removing the green film. With green film removed and replacing stock bulbs with blue bulbs, not bulb condoms, the result was NO different. The lights were a little brighter but overall the color was still the same. Maybe teal-ish. Overall I had the same color, broken cluster, and $100 out of my pocket for another cluster.

I know now that LED is the only way to go if you want a blue dash. I however have 2 different T10 blue LEDs still in the mail waiting to see if they will fit and such. Im hoping T10 LEDs was pop right in and give a blue glow even with the green film on my new cluster.

If anyone is interested I will post pics of how I did everything and what each setup looked like.
And if anyone has done this I would like to know exactly which LEDs you used and a picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement