Catalytic Converters (CATs), Emissions Testing, Emissions CELS, and you. - Page 2 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

synolimit is a helpful contributing member
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Capone View Post
As a veteran smog mechanic since 1988, I should post a correction here regarding the description of a catalytic converter and how it works.

The 3 harmful exhaust gases cleaned up by a catalytic converter are 1) carbon monoxide (burned fuel), 2) hydrocarbon (raw fuel), and 3) oxides of nitrogen (NOx). NOx is not to be confused with 'nitrous oxide - NOs), a laughing gas commonly used by surgeons when having your wisdom teeth pulled. NOs is also used as a powerful additive to the air/fuel intake on very hi-performance vehicles.

The 3 harmful exhaust gases are 'converted' into carbon dioxide before shooting out the tailpipe. Carbon dioxide is the make up of nitrogen, oxygen, and water. It the same gas as what are human lungs expel. The conversion action is done by heat reaction from precious elements housed within the exhaust passage way of the catalytic converter.
well coming from chemists stand point, nitrous oxide is N2O not NOS. NOS is a name brand for nitrous oxide for car power (Nitrous Oxide System), theres no sulfur that comes out of your exhaust . the CAT breaks down heavier gases like nitrogen dioxide (NO2) into nitrous oxide (N2O). so your car does produce laughing gas if you have a CAT.

also carbon dioxide is not a make up of nitrogen, oxygen and water. its made up of one carbon molecule and two Oxygen molecules. There’s no Nitrogen in CO2 or Hydrogen.

the CAT oxidizes the hydrocarbons into water and CO2. a hydrocarbon is 1 to at least 60 carbons connected to each other with hydrogen surrounding on all sides. carbon makes 4 bonds so the ends will have 3 hydrogens and the middles will have 2. thats where you get your hydrogen to make water.

Scott-2011 WRX 335HP 394TQ 93 VF52!
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f121/2011-wrx-build-31226/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 09:12 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by synolimit View Post
well coming from chemists stand point, nitrous oxide is N2O not NOS. NOS is a name brand for nitrous oxide for car power (Nitrous Oxide System), theres no sulfur that comes out of your exhaust . the CAT breaks down heavier gases like nitrogen dioxide (NO2) into nitrous oxide (N2O). so your car does produce laughing gas if you have a CAT.

also carbon dioxide is not a make up of nitrogen, oxygen and water. its made up of one carbon molecule and two Oxygen molecules. There’s no Nitrogen in CO2 or Hydrogen.

the CAT oxidizes the hydrocarbons into water and CO2. a hydrocarbon is 1 to at least 60 carbons connected to each other with hydrogen surrounding on all sides. carbon makes 4 bonds so the ends will have 3 hydrogens and the middles will have 2. thats where you get your hydrogen to make water.
I think that is the most intelligent thing I have ever seen you post...lol

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #18 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 10:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
I think that is the most intelligent thing I have ever seen you post...lol
lol guess we just need to talk more about what i do.

post #19 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4Capone View Post
As a veteran smog mechanic since 1988, I should post a correction here regarding the description of a catalytic converter and how it works.

The 3 harmful exhaust gases cleaned up by a catalytic converter are 1) carbon monoxide (burned fuel), 2) hydrocarbon (raw fuel), and 3) oxides of nitrogen (NOx). NOx is not to be confused with 'nitrous oxide - NOs), a laughing gas commonly used by surgeons when having your wisdom teeth pulled. NOs is also used as a powerful additive to the air/fuel intake on very hi-performance vehicles.

The 3 harmful exhaust gases are 'converted' into carbon dioxide before shooting out the tailpipe. Carbon dioxide is the make up of nitrogen, oxygen, and water. It the same gas as what are human lungs expel. The conversion action is done by heat reaction from precious elements housed within the exhaust passage way of the catalytic converter.
Well, there's some correct info in here but there's also some complete falsehoods as synolimit pointed out. Wow.

Anyway, since we're into a more technical discussion on catalytic converters, I feel compelled to make my usual whine about reductions in carbon monoxide (smog) and hydrocarbons being converted into a major cause of global warming (CO2) emissions. Cars make up somewhere around 20% of all CO2 emissions and some of that is brought to you by the wonderful catalytic converter. Course, most of that CO2 was made in the engine not in the cat but it still makes for good debate about which emission is really worse.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #20 of 40 Old 06-02-2010, 11:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

while there are lots of bad things that come out of an exhaust like ozone and the gases we already named, the CO2 im wondering if its really that bad? not all the NO2 and CO will get oxidized in the CAT forming N2O and CO2 so no matter what the exhaust is still bad. what im getting at is i heard a speech from a total Dbag that seemed to not know crap about the enviornment but is a Dr. in meteorology. among is rambling that there is no global warming, the ozone layer is fine, are earth is better then ever, (told you he's a Dbag) he said one thing that made me think. they say CO2 is very very bad! but havnt we been told since we were 5 that ALL plants USE CO2 and give us oxygen?? so in a way the more CO2 we make the more oxygen we get back, thats if we stop cutting down all are rain forests and stuff. now the CO2 we make could be over whelming are plants and the extra just heats the planet that takes a whole lot more to talk about how it does this, but i thought that was a little good point the Dr. made. not sure how good it was though.

post #21 of 40 Old 06-03-2010, 12:44 AM
WRXtuners Member

RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful RcrsWetDream is known to be trustworthy and helpful
So after your earlier post I'm guessing you're some sort of chemistry nut... That was and always will be my weakest subject. Barely squeaked a 2.0 in college and I graduated with honors:eek:

-Chris
post #22 of 40 Old 06-03-2010, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
It's a double whammy. We release rediculous quantities into the air AND we destroy the vast majority of plant life on the globe. The ultimate carbon release is burning a rainforest which we seem to do all the time. Gotta make room for cattle by burning the greatest CO2 sponge imaginable. Which of course since you're burning it as well makes even more CO2. And the whole thing is only worth a few bucks an acre anyway. We're so stupid sometimes it kills me.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
post #23 of 40 Old 06-03-2010, 02:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcrsWetDream View Post
So after your earlier post I'm guessing you're some sort of chemistry nut... That was and always will be my weakest subject. Barely squeaked a 2.0 in college and I graduated with honors:eek:
chemistry tutor at Kent state, going for my RN. i dont know, i just find it easy. you just have to remember tons of math formulas, names for molecules and read IUPAC names and common names. if you can remember names of other things you can remember names for a lot of things. The math isn’t easy but the way I was taught and I teach it makes it so much easier!

post #24 of 40 Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 AM
WRXtuners Member

Johnnys WRX is an unknown
okay so if i get a catted dp will the CEL still come on
post #25 of 40 Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM
WRXtuners Member

man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to man show is a WRX expert worth listening to
^ not if you are tuned for it (almost any type of "Stage 2" tune that accounts for a tbe will work)

John
07 WRX
post #26 of 40 Old 06-13-2010, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

15032003 is an unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepr View Post
California owners are advised to keep their stock down/mid pipe, so it can be reinstalled for the CA smog test/visual inspection.

Thanks mosc!
hey, I just bought a heavy modded 03. Everything from my turbo back is wrapped in a heat shroud(cloth) how do i know If my down pipe has a CAT? It obviously passed smog because i got it at a dealership along with the list of up grades.

Thanks....
post #27 of 40 Old 06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

^^it is totally NOT obvious that it passed just because you bought it at a dealer. a dealer isnt the DMV, they dont check for stuff like that nor do they do sniffer tests. the only way you'll know if you pass is when you get your plates, the DMV tests you. if your DP has a CAT it will have a 8-9 inch section of pipe that is larger then the rest. the DP should be 3" and a CAT will be more like 5-6 inches in diameter.

post #28 of 40 Old 06-18-2010, 01:34 AM
WRXtuners Member

15032003 is an unknown
thanks.....
post #29 of 40 Old 01-02-2011, 04:55 PM
WRXtuners Member

noobtube is an unknown
fthe the tree thing, dont worry about it, the rain forest is only count as a quarter of all trees in the world. 2/3 of them are up there in canada/russia you know above in the snow caps.

What you need 2 worry about is 2012
post #30 of 40 Old 06-24-2011, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Julio Bro! is an unknown
Hi, still learning. Why do we have 2 cats and why does removing the upper cat brings problems with the computer?

Is there any downpipe that doesn't need a tune?