Subaru WRX Forum banner

car running bad after puttin bov in wrong place

11K views 61 replies 21 participants last post by  wrxecm 
#1 ·
alright iv been havin my 03 wrx for a month and i got a blow off valve and i installed it in the wrong place. i took the wastegate off and put the bov there..i ran it down the street and it ran very slow and it didnt even whistle so i knew that was wrong,,i took it off and put the wastegate back on and tried riding it down the street and still running very bad and now i rev my engine and it sounds likeits going 2 turn off..idles high and low when its on neutral..dnt know whats going on at all..let me know what i can do..thx

#5 ·
Have you read anything on here about our cars and the negative effects of having it "whistle"? Not trying to bust your chops or anything, but our ECUs know how to make our cars run right, (AF ratio) based off the amount of air circulated back into the intake. BOV Fs that all up by letting that extra air off into the atmosphere. Thats why you're running like S. ECU doesn't know whats wrong with the car. Its probably idling funny because its trying to adjust itself to compensate for the lack of air going back into the intake.

Get rid of your AEM intake, put stock diverter valve back on and get her tuned for your exhaust.

#6 ·
okai soo your saying my car is just trying 2 get use 2 being the same because what i did to it?..because i dnt have a blow off valve currently installed. after i put it in the wrong place i was 2 scared to put it in the right place..so its prob just idling funny because the intake?..so how do i get this fixed i dnt wanna keep running like s@#$...

#7 ·
uh, the wastegate is on the exhaust side of the motor and the BOV goes on the intake side of the motor... BOVs don't respond too well to highly compressed superheated exhaust gas.

Anyway, you might have done much more harm than you think. You should take it to a repair place. Some shop that knows the difference between intake and exhaust.

#9 ·
yeah i think i have done some harm to my car..yeah i think im going 2 take it 2 a good mechanic to check it out..and while im at it get it tuned up with some new spark plugs..
you think its a big harm what i did?..what could of messed up?..turbo?..im running like if i didnt even have turbo..

or u think its my aem intake doing all this?

#10 · (Edited)
First off, please read this:
http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/grammar-punctuation-10437/

Please use capital letters, apostrophes, and spell out words rather than abbreviations like "2". It's about respect for your fellow members.

Frankly, I have no experience with installing BOVs in place of wastegates. I can't even understand what happened under there let alone evaluate damage without seeing her. A tune is always a good idea, but the car needs to be running cleanly before you tune.

#11 ·
Read all the FAQs on here man. I said it before, but this is one the most organized and informative sites I've been on. You can learn a lot from the articles, DIY and moderators. Good luck and keep us posted.

These guys are up your way: It doesn't look they are taking new clients on as far as maintenance and installs, but they might be able to refer you to a reputable tuner/mechanic in the LA area.

Harman Motive Shop

By the way I don't think your intake is doing all this, but I think I remember reading that the AEM intake specifically had something to do with fouling up the MAF sensor. In combination with the other stunt, who knows? Try unhooking the battery again and let it sit a while to reset. It does take driving it awhile for the ECU to run all the tests and sensor checks on any car and re-adjust itself. You might have put the car in limp mode. Have a shop pull the codes to start and post them up.

#22 ·
are you sure when you say wastegate you know what you are talking about? you're not talking about the stock by pass valve are you? the wastegate, assuming you have an internal one, is going to be on the inside of your turbine housing of your turbo. there is no way you can install a bov anywhere around there. i also doubt you have an ewg(external waste gate) so thats out of the question. also, by wiring, do you mean tubing that connects to the bpv/bov? do you have any pictures of what exactly it is that you modified?

#23 ·
okai my car is still running pretty bad. the stock intake helped a lil bit but not good enough.
its like if im running without any turbo pretty much. yeah i know im not doing anything to my car anymore. i learned not to messwith this type of cars..to many sensors in them.
the wastegate is the one you have right next to your turbo right? and connects to your turbo right?..### thats the one i took off and put the bov on. and yeah i wired it to the bov.

#28 ·
this is not a joke but, i found the problem, im running on no turbo now because there is a bracket that holds the wastegate from the downpipe. and that bracket holding the wastegate was broken. so im not gettin no turbo because of that. so it was a tyni metal stick holding the wastegate from the downpipe and that was broken. so its like im not even connected to my turbo. so now i have to get that piece welded back on and ill be good to go.

#37 ·
LoL... im new as well, and i really really really dont mean to sound disrespectful in ANY way. This is what someone told me that may help you in the future. If you do not know the answer to the question you're asking, ask before doing so. (which you probably already learned now.) What you need to do, is piece everything back together the way it was before you replaced the wastegate actuator with the bov. If it still doesnt run. take it to a subaru dealership. Have them correct the problem. then either sell it, take care of it as stock, or learn about the car before doing ANY mods and use this as a learning experience.

I hope the best of luck for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.