• 1 Post By psinuse
  • 1 Post By LW_Black4
  • 1 Post By Nathan21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 11-18-2013, 05:13 PM
WRXtuners Member

MetalCoreDrummer is an unknown
Can't Tell Who's Lying..

Hey guys. Noob here. Possibly buying an 02 rex tomorrow.
checked the stickies... no help...
66k miles
negotiated him down to 8.5 k. Had it inspected and it has these problems so now i will not buy it for more than 6.5k.
needs 3k of maintenance:
brakes front replace (rust)
Rear brakes (rust)
axel leaking
psv covers replace (2)
timing belt (will change water pump)
brake fluid, it was really old

BONE STOCK

it looks very good on the outside, and has no rust visible on the frame (yet)

The main thing Im worried about is the rust. I live in florida, and this car has been to washington, penn, and Michigan, and has presumably seen its fair share of winters. i talked to my mechanic today and he said not to buy it because once a vehicle has been up north and had exposure to the road salt, there is no stopping the corrosion. Will i see it slowly deteriorate here in florida from those winters like other northern cars? Should i buy it?

heres a link to the craigslist ad.

SUBARU WRX TURBO silver 5 speed ONLY 66k miles

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED TEN MINUTES AGO: So i find out that the car needs all this crap replaced. I just got a call from the seller (technically a "private seller" but the guy works for a car dealership, its his car.. just my luck..) and he's saying that everything the subaru dealership said was wrong with the car was a load of crap, and he just had his guy look over the car and it was fine. I know two things for sure:
1) the car needs a timing belt/ water pump, got quoted for 1.1k from both my mechanic and the dealership (****)
2) since there is rust on the bottom, it is a northern car.

this is where things get weirder, the seller is trying to tell me that its a car from florida (bull sh@t) despite the fact that there is "a 5 on a 1-10 scale" of rust as described by the dealership, and the carfax says that its been to penn, michigan, and washington. The seller is convinced his car is fine. the whole deal is shady. should i just walk?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM
WRXtuners Member

Haw1es is more helpful than not
Garage
My personal opinion would be to walk, although you may request to have an independent mechanic look the car over. It seems shady, but having another mech look at it may make you feel better.

Shane
2010 WRX
2003 Jetta 2.5
#3 Old 11-18-2013, 06:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful sleepr is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
don't walk...run away from this.
Nathan21 likes this.

Matt
70 to 100 faster than you can say "whoooossshh!"
#4 Old 11-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
and if you don't talk away, make him drop the price for the headache he is giving you and ignorance he shows

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
#5 Old 11-18-2013, 07:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is a helpful contributing member
a carfax will help determine AT LEAST where the car is from, all u need is the license plate number or the vin. i believe it is like 35 bucks. that should help a lot.
#6 Old 11-19-2013, 05:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Find another

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#7 Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to brfatal is a WRX expert worth listening to
Garage
Florida -> No rust at all. But you've already determined that this is not a Florida car by looking at its history.

Timing belt and pump are part of the 105k mile maintance, however if something is wrong with the belt (ie cracking due to age) then it needs to be replaced. Otherwise it's fine. The pump is just one of the things that's easiest to replace since you already have the belt off. At 66k miles there shouldn't be anything wrong with it. That quote for it is quite high though.
#8 Old 11-19-2013, 03:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you go back to your other post that's identical to this, you will see where I posted a link to a useful thread. Personally I'd walk away from this car.
LW_Black4 likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#9 Old 11-19-2013, 03:51 PM
WRXtuners Member

n8mcd is a helpful contributing member
Well the fact that it's a "northern car" is not really that big of a deal, as long as you take good care of it.

The fact that it needs some work and stuff however is up to you, for myself it doesn't sound like a bad deal because I can do all of that work myself/ with the help of some freinds and all it would cost me is for parts and a case of beer. It sounds like your going to be having some shop work on this car and it's going to cost you some money...

Even if you did the work yourself I'd talk that guy down as low as I could go and use all the things that it needs as an excuse to haggle the shit out of the guy.
#10 Old 11-19-2013, 04:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

LW_Black4 is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
If you go back to your other post that's identical to this, you will see where I posted a link to a useful thread.
It wasn't just me that got deja vu with this post.
psinuse likes this.

Laszlo - blue '04 WRX
Meet the turbocharged rally-bred Subaru WRX.
blue '09 STi - lease return
#11 Old 11-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Loving the Avatar LW Black4
LW_Black4 likes this.

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
#12 Old 11-21-2013, 11:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

poontangler is an unknown
definitely walk, but also keep in mind that rust doesn't only come from road salt and northern exposure. what do you think happens when a car is flooded by say, hurricane? Flood cars are way more common than you would think, and that might explain why the car was in penn, washington etc to begin with. I know this for sure, when katrina blasted the south, many/most of those cars wound up in the northeast. fact ! not to mention, there is no supply shortage of any wrx of any year. be patient.