California Smog - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 10-16-2008, 10:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

Strider327 is on thin ice
California Smog

I know this is a shot in the dark and I have searched yet I have not found one identical to the setup I'm gonna have. I was wondering with the mods listed will I be able to pass the "Sniffer" I'm not worried about the visual just the actual Sniffer test in general.

Mods:
Grimmspeed EWG Up-pipe/Tial 38mm wastegate
Helix Catted Downpipe
Maddad Midpipe
Scoobysport Axle back
Blouch Evo3 16G turbo PnP
Walbro FP 255
650cc DW injectors
Prodrive 3 port boost solenoid

Any similar experiences or feedback are appreciate it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-17-2008, 03:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I highly, HIGHLY doubt you'll pass, but it's possible. If I were you I wouldn't chance it. I think a failed smog test will stick on your record permanently.
#3 Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 AM
WRXtuners Member

zmanoside is a helpful contributing member
If you have any mod to your car you will not pass in CA.

12.7 @ 109
#4 Old 10-17-2008, 09:42 AM
WRXtuners Member

Would I not be able just to go to a test only station and "see" if I do pass? Just to know beforehand of the actual smog.
#5 Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
WRXtuners Member

SuBeast is on thin ice
Garage
Send a message via AIM to SuBeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanoside View Post
If you have any mod to your car you will not pass in CA.
Pretty much.... If you stuck most of your stock parts on, since you have a catted DP, you MIGHT pass. Just make sure you do the usual; warm up your car A LOT before hand, and run some fuel system / injector cleaner through your fuel, etc.

If you have to hit boost and your EWG opens up, it's all over for you though... If it's externally dumped.

FAST
RELIABLE
CHEAP
Pick 2
2006 STi
1990 Civic time-attack project
1990 Toyota Hilux - daily
#6 Old 10-17-2008, 01:31 PM
WRXtuners Member

stagger_lee is more helpful than not
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider327 View Post
Would I not be able just to go to a test only station and "see" if I do pass? Just to know beforehand of the actual smog.
The problem there is your are probably going to have a code, whether your CEL is over ridden by tune or whatever software you use, smog station will still see it. Even catted downpipes will throw off the back O2 sensor. Smog place usually won't proceed with any shown codes. If they do run you, then you obviously pay to fail and shop will give you your "sniffed" levels. It does you no good if you blow clean with a CEL. I'm good friends with my smog guy, and we have a hard time getting around anything. Government monitors all computers and tests so closely its ridiculous. Aside from sniffing another car under your VIN number you're screwed, and thats illegal so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuBeast View Post
Just make sure you do the usual; warm up your car A LOT before hand, and run some fuel system / injector cleaner through your fuel, etc.
I used to think I would pass by changing plugs, air cleaner, running fuel additives, cleaners, does little to nothing for out put other than cost you more money. You should be on that maintenance anyway. CAT is the most important piece in smog. Anything affecting the CAT or affected by the CAT, muy importante in blowing clean.

Oh yeah, and I think you can only get your car soo warm -

Still love my 4 rings, but now all I see is stars.
White Collar Hippie
#7 Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 PM
WRXtuners Member

I see. If that's the case already...I might as well just go catless then. Thanks for everyone's opinions and feedback. Cheers!
#8 Old 10-17-2008, 05:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

You pretty much have to put stock parts on to smog here, so every 2 years thats what we do. On my old A4 I paid my buddy who had a shop $150 to put back stock exhaust, turbo, and injectors for smog and I kept the stock map on file to put ECU back. Had to do that twice during my time with her. Cali is a PITA. Like I said I know my smog guy too, soo we tried to get around it, with no luck.

Most of the catted downpipes have a very small high flow cat, that collects some gases, but not nearly as efficient as a "legal" cat. All your other mods would make it tough to pass too. Your obviously going to be burning more fuel and making more waste than stock. Good luck!

White Collar Hippie
#9 Old 10-17-2008, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
So say i was to have a vf39, sti pinks, sti topmount, and tbe, you guys think that if i threw my stock downpipe on i could have a chance at passing smog or would the bigger turbo and injectors lead to a fail?
#10 Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 PM
WRXtuners Member

I would say yes because your still using a stock turbo and stock setup all around.
#11 Old 10-17-2008, 10:30 PM
WRXtuners Member

RentForSale is an unknown
I took my 02 ( UP,Catted DP , Catback , XPT stg 2 ) to a smog guy once just to see what would happen ..... failed miserably . Went home and switched the DP to stock and went to stock map and passed no prob .

-NICK-
#12 Old 10-18-2008, 10:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

^^ I only ever passed with stock map and stock exhaust all the way out. Good to Know though. I haven't had t smog my subie yet and all cars are different. ^^

jdowrx - I couldn't get my audi to pass with the bigger turbo and injectors with stock exhaust. I ran terribly on a stock map, and smog computer didn't like the map or tune I had for bigger turbo/injectors. I ran GT28rs and 650cc inj

White Collar Hippie
#13 Old 10-18-2008, 06:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

jdowrx is an unknown
Yeah, i'm currently running stage 2 with the accessport and i recently had to swap my stock downpipe, which isn't bad at all. I'm looking to upgrade to a vf39, but having to swap turbos, injectors, and downpipe is going to be a PITA.
#14 Old 10-19-2008, 01:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Hey, would a COBB stage 1 fail smog?
#15 Old 10-20-2008, 03:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful WReXd is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner ready View Post
Hey, would a COBB stage 1 fail smog?
no... stage 1 is 99.999999% stock.

The most important thing about smog (in CA) is the oem cats. You MUST have the last 2 cats in place. I passed with a jdm motor, tgv deletes, codes cleared with enginuity/romraider, and a catless uppipe. I bet a catback wouldn't affect anything either.