The CAI arguement explained... opened for replies - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 77 Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM
WRXtuners Member

Black Night is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to Black Night
good job bro, let me know when your ride starts knocking and come talk to me, i had the injen on my car as well...i would really take it off or make it a short ram...just my .02 tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 10-10-2006, 11:18 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrishalos is an unknown
Send a message via AIM to chrishalos
i'm not attempting to claim the CAI is useful -

Thanks for the info, but i was just offering the advice for someone who has the Injen CAI in hand and wants to know the best way to install it. How would you suggest converting it to a short ram - just sawing the first intake pipe and jerry-rigging it to the filter?? AHHHH - so confusing!!!
post #63 of 77 Old 10-10-2006, 11:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrishalos is an unknown
continued...

This is obviously what I get for not doing my homework, same with the GReddy Type-RS BOV.... time to replace it with the factory ABV
post #64 of 77 Old 10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
Vew

Vew is more helpful than not
Send a message via AIM to Vew
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishalos
My roommate and I installed an Injen CAI on my 2002 WRX recently (maybe a month and a half ago), and I have had zero problems - the CEL came on with initial startup following installation, but turned itself off within 3 minutes and never came on again.

In my opinion (and it is only that), the easiest and most effective way to install the CAI is to jack up the passenger side, remove the tire, and pop off the front half of the fender well (isn't that what they call the thing??). Then pop out the resonator box and proceed with installation steps. Instead of a single pipe design like that of the Perrin (looks that way to me from the picture), Injen uses two pipes connected by a hose joint to make it much easier to install the intake pipe.

I've been driving with this intake for about 4k miles, and have had no problems and no CELs since the initial appearance of it (which, I should clarify, turned off on it's own, so I don't know what the code was).

Hope that helps anyone who is considering the Injen CAI. Happy tuning!
What you're not realizing although nothing bad has happened yet, it's a slow, damaging process (frog and boiling water analogy here). Yes, nothing might ever happen to your car because of the CAI, but logs taken from wideband sensors will tell you that it is leaning out your car if it is not tuned for it, and leaning out a WRX too much is never a good thing.

Jon
"We live for a good time, not a long time."
RIP Colin McRae
post #65 of 77 Old 10-11-2006, 06:36 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:
This is obviously what I get for not doing my homework, same with the GReddy Type-RS BOV.... time to replace it with the factory ABV
Did you just not feel like reading the whole thread?

Homebrewed tuned with Opensource!
post #66 of 77 Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrishalos is an unknown
to vew: thanks for the input... it is always greatly appreciated. I still have all of my original parts in the attic... guess it's time to head up there.

to dumdum: are you trying to be helpful, or are you just making an attempt at insulting me?? I'm a newbie, remember? I've read over this whole thread (again), and from the quote you pulled out of my post, your comment makes no sense to me. would you care to clarify? I'm lost.
post #67 of 77 Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful Cosmo is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via AIM to Cosmo
I'll add just a little here...

Putting on a CAI won't automatically damage your car. What it does is greatly increase the risk of running lean. You may be fine for years. You may get knock the first time you drive it. Climate, altitude, the fuel you run and other factors come into play. Knock is not an absolute. I wish it was that easy.

As for the APS intake, we tried one and found it to be the worst of the bunch. The car idled horribly, and knocked at any RPM over 5000. I have heard others say they love it, but I am not a fan.
post #68 of 77 Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 AM
WRXpert

dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention dumdum is a WRX tech God, pay attention
Quote:

to dumdum: are you trying to be helpful, or are you just making an attempt at insulting me?? I'm a newbie, remember? I've read over this whole thread (again), and from the quote you pulled out of my post, your comment makes no sense to me. would you care to clarify? I'm lost.
I wasn't trying to be insulting but it seems you just hopped in on the tail end of the conversation by your first post and i am suprised to find out you actually did read the thread and still put it on,got a CEL,an then still left it on.Did you possibly think to find out what the CEL was?Just because the light went off doesn't mean there isn't still a problem.There are two types of diagnostic CEL codes and the one that came on is still saved in the ECU so it can still be read.As Cosmo,said an intake isn't going to blow up your car right away but over time constantly running lean (especially at WOT)and causing knock, it can and will cause longevity problems.Especially if you are running lean on an 02-05 WRX with the up-pipe cat still inplace with the EGT probe.Also the ECU will not tell you its pulling timing which =major loss of performance.C.A.I.s by far have the most problems compared to short rams.Most short rams out today seem to be working well with the factory ECU after being installed properly with an ECU reset(Cobb SF,SPT,K&N,TurboXS,Perrin,APS..)mainly because they don't have the turbulence caused by the bends in CAI pipes and incorperate velocity stacks or air straightning devices for more laminar flow across the MAF.Some helpfull links on intake problems that were listed earlier in this thread.

http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/
http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/intakes/

post #69 of 77 Old 10-12-2006, 05:21 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrishalos is an unknown
dumdum - thanks for the clarification, and I appreciate your feedback...

Hey, sorry i misinterpretted what you were saying. The point that I was trying to get through my post was that after all I have read, the CAI sounds like a bad idea and I am seriously considering getting it removed (same with the BOV). My original post was just for the one person who reads and says to his(or her)self "I don't care what they say, I'm putting on the Injen CAI anyway."

It's actually quite frustrating, because from what people external to this site tell me (i.e. people I know personally) say that when I install my UTEC and get my car tuned, I'll actualy benefit from the CAI and BOV at that point. I have this pull back and forth between "Subaru experts" online and people that I know out in the world, and since I am a novice in the greatest sense of the word, it's hard to know who to "trust" with these very important topics.

Just to better explain my position.... Thanks for the comments, though, I'm not taking what I read lightly by any means.
post #70 of 77 Old 10-12-2006, 05:23 PM
WRXtuners Member

chrishalos is an unknown
P.s.

I'm checking out those links you provided right now - thanks for including them.

-Chris
post #71 of 77 Old 02-22-2007, 07:30 AM
WRXtuners Member

skydvejam is an unknown
Well my self so far in the way of intake, I have got the stock air box, with a K&N filter, pulling from the wheel well. It sounds good, not realy loud, just a little throaty, and improved the pull some it felt like"seat of the pants meter". I am in the middle of mods right now though, porting and polishing what I can my self right now, not easy or fun but hey, working for that magic 100-150k miles to press for the rebuild with a stroker :-). Anyways the stock box with mods is Great try it out.

Freedom is a flavor that the defender never tastes
post #72 of 77 Old 09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
WRXtuners Member

spt pitbull is an unknown
Talking amazing modd????

wow,i think this is very weird all this talk about these mods messing things up????my car has to be touched!!because i have a spt intake w/heat sheild,performance y-pipe to intercooler,removed snorkus(open holes)SR.S header,up-pipe,down pipe,realllly free flow cat and obviously the rest back (canister muffler)and none of these problems you guys speak of i expeirence ()ohhhhhhhh did i mention its a auto!!!!! !can someone explain this without being a smart ass?????or am i just verrrry lucky???also planning on stage 2 compliments of cobb accessport.
post #73 of 77 Old 09-16-2007, 06:03 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
You have nothing on your car that is problematic to these cars mentioned through this post. You have the SPT intake on your car. Ok, thats meant for the car, no one really ever said it causes a problem. The header, up pipe, TBE,really dont mean that much either. You need a protune for that set up. The Cobb AP wont cover all your mods in their stage 2 setup. Cobbs Stage 2 is a TBE with an upgraded filter, or SRI.
post #74 of 77 Old 09-17-2007, 08:11 AM
WRXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by spt pitbull View Post
wow,i think this is very weird all this talk about these mods messing things up????my car has to be touched!!because i have a spt intake w/heat sheild,performance y-pipe to intercooler,removed snorkus(open holes)SR.S header,up-pipe,down pipe,realllly free flow cat and obviously the rest back (canister muffler)and none of these problems you guys speak of i expeirence ()ohhhhhhhh did i mention its a auto!!!!! !can someone explain this without being a smart ass?????or am i just verrrry lucky???also planning on stage 2 compliments of cobb accessport.
http://www.ecutek.com/tuning/induction/
http://www.cobbtuning.com/info/?ID=3223

Those links explains the criteria that causes problems with intakes.There are alot now on the market that don't cause the same problems as most manufactures have fixed/solved most of the problems.Obviously you didn't bother to read any of the thread because i explained what causes most of the problems and posted the same links earlier in the thread.Reading is fun duh mental.Not being a smart ass,just pointing out the obvious.Read the whole thread.........

post #75 of 77 Old 09-18-2007, 10:06 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtothegame View Post
You have nothing on your car that is problematic to these cars mentioned through this post. You have the SPT intake on your car. Ok, thats meant for the car, no one really ever said it causes a problem. The header, up pipe, TBE,really dont mean that much either. You need a protune for that set up. The Cobb AP wont cover all your mods in their stage 2 setup. Cobbs Stage 2 is a TBE with an upgraded filter, or SRI.
Pitbull, apprantly your not reading or you'd already know that the SPT SRI is fine and isn't going to hurt a thing. I don't understand. Please pay attention.