CAI on a 02 Help needed. - Subaru WRX Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 12-24-2013, 10:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Cosmo_kraemer is an unknown
Garage
CAI on a 02 Help needed.

Ok so i know everyone is telling me to change my INGEN out and go back to stock. But as of right now im having a few issues finding a stock one for sale. how can i tell if im running to lean or if i might have had the car tuned. The only reason the CAI is on there is it was on the car when i bought it. So it could have been tuned already for it but i have no clue if it has. also what could i be looking at as in price to get the car tuned for just the CAI, if i choose to keep it. the only thing that worries me is i have a long drive coming up soon like in a few days. and i want to make sure i dont run into any issues while im on the drive.

The only reason i ask is she has been running fine from what i can tell now for the past two month.any info will help. if you need anything from me to know just ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Nathan21 is an unknown
Protune runs on average $350-$500 depending on the shop, go to your local Subaru dealership and see if they have any in stock or how long it would be to get one in if you can't find a used one, or call a few of your local pick-a-parts and see if they have any 02 wrx or Sti. Also are you having any issues with your car that would make them tell you to go back to stock. Does the car have any other mods to go along with the intake?
Cosmo_kraemer likes this.

Nathan
2011 WRX Premium
2012 Fozzy
1979 C3
Anti-BOV Gang!
#3 Old 12-24-2013, 10:59 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
nah no other issues that i can tell of. She Idles at about 750 when at a stop. i get a few CEL but that was for p043 and p1443, and nobody has told me to go back to stock besides members on here. and no other Mods beside the Intake and a Catback that i know of. i might have to go as i jsut hope some places are open on Thursday then. i can say i dont have th e cash for that tune right now. but then my question is what if it has been tuned for the intake and i go back to stock then what can happen.
#4 Old 12-25-2013, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is more helpful than not
you can also put on a cobb sri/cai and not need a tune. http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-WRX...02-s/70560.htm
Cosmo_kraemer likes this.
#5 Old 12-25-2013, 12:09 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Ok now i have been looking around and reading more into it. If you have an Intake that is the same Diameter as the stock one, I shouldnt have to worry about a tune as i am gaining no real increase in air flow or power. and can anyone tell me for sure what the stock diameter is i keep finding people saying 65mm or 66.5 mm. i will be checking the piping on mine in the morning so i hope its the same size so i have no worries.
#6 Old 12-25-2013, 12:19 AM
WRXtuners Member

cobb is the only intake that you dont need a tune for on our model, as far as I know. I originally bought my car with a perrin, i replaced it with a cobb sri and have been good so far. also if u want a cobb ots map stage 1 or 2 your good 2 go.
#7 Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
well that jsut made me worry more now. so i am still searching online for the answer for sure. like i said i have a few days and Xmas is one of those days. i think my biggest worry is if i dont change it back to stock and something goes wrong and does need a tune for it. or i go back to stock and come to find out the car was tuned for the CAI and then something goes wrong on that side. i would luv to find out that this crappy intake is just the stock size piping and not have to worry about anything. I have to say i think this is one of the most stressful things about our cars is how damn touchy they are.
#8 Old 12-25-2013, 12:40 AM
WRXtuners Member

cant u just ask the guy u bought the car from if its been tuned? that actually happened to me, i just emailed the guy i bought the car from and he told me i wasnt tuned for it. im guessing u dont have a cobb ap. otherwise im not sure how ud check to see if u were tuned for. maybe someone else here can help. good luck!
#9 Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
cant u just ask the guy u bought the car from if its been tuned? that actually happened to me, i just emailed the guy i bought the car from and he told me i wasnt tuned for it. im guessing u dont have a cobb ap. otherwise im not sure how ud check to see if u were tuned for. maybe someone else here can help. good luck!
I guess i could text the guy. it will have to wait till Thursday then. Not to sure if he would know not sure if he put it on or the guy before him. but wish me luck and no AP. i dont have the cash as of now for that. i kinda wish shops could hook up and see if it has been done or not, if they can someone please Chime in, and then if anyone knows of a shop in the San DIego area that does tunes that would be great also.
#10 Old 12-25-2013, 08:33 AM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
In the first 5 pages of a quick Ebay search...Now that I have done your shopping for because I have nothing better to do...Go buy a stock intake and put it on.
2006 07 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Intake Filter Airbox Assy EJ257 GD7 2192 | eBay

'02 '03 Subu Impreza WRX Factory Air Intake | eBay

04 05 Subaru Impreza WRX Air Intake Tube Pipe Snorkeler Snorkel Factory Part | eBay

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#11 Old 12-25-2013, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

boo-key bear is a helpful contributing member
Garage
Stock intake diameter is 65mm. Placement of the maf sensor matters also. Just get a stock airbox . I seriously doubt someone spent 300+ on a tune for a $150 intake. I've got a stock airbox I would sell, but no stock after maf tube.
arewmors likes this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
#12 Old 12-25-2013, 12:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
ok well tomorrow looks like i am making a stop at all the junk yards in my area. i would buy one off Ebay but they will not get here in time. i leave on Friday wish me luck and once i get a stock one im selling this PITA Injen.
#13 Old 12-25-2013, 12:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekamikaze kid View Post
cobb is the only intake that you dont need a tune for on our model, as far as I know. I originally bought my car with a perrin, i replaced it with a cobb sri and have been good so far. also if u want a cobb ots map stage 1 or 2 your good 2 go.
Please tell me you are talking about this Cobb intake if so and anyone else chime in if i dont need a tune for this one i will buy it since the seller is 5 min down the road from me.I still plan on hitting the Yards tomorrow just to look and pray that i find all three parts for a good price.

Cobb Tuning Air Intake 712100 2002 2007 Subaru Impreza WRX STI 2 0L 2 5L 712 | eBay

On the web site they say its dont need a tune. but we know how that is.http://www.cobbtuning.com/Subaru-SF-...tm#Description
#14 Old 12-25-2013, 02:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

yup,

"No Tuning Required
This COBB SF Intake does not require additional tuning once installed. It is designed to work perfectly with the stock MAF sensor. Simply install and go!"
#15 Old 12-25-2013, 02:38 PM
WRXtuners Member

Garage
Well if my luck don't change I will be grabing that. Unless other members say no.... So please chime in anytime so that one run nice tho?