Buying wrx, car newbie help - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 01-02-2009, 10:08 AM
WRXtuners Member

alexc12389 is an unknown
Buying wrx, car newbie help

Hi my old car recently had one of its cylinders blown so I'm looking for a new car. I'm looking at an 05 wrx right now but it has mods and I wanted to know someone's opinion who has more experience with cars than I do. Here is a list of some of the mods : FAST WRX IN IMMACULATE CONDITION!!! FULLY UPGRADED WITH A TD-05 20G BLOUCH TURBO CHARGER, 7 CM TURBINE, 13 PSI ACTUATOR, DEATSCHWERKS 750CC FUEL INJECTORS, TURBO XS FUEL RAILS, TURBO XS BRAIDED FUEL LINES, WALBRO 255 LPH FUEL PUMP, TURBOSMART MANUAL BOOST CONTROLLER, PERRIN 2.4" RED TURBO INLET, SUBARU SPT SHORT-RAM INTAKE, TURBO XS POLISHED TOP-MOUNT INTERCOOLER, NGK 1-STEP COLDER SPARK PLUGS, PERRIN STAINLESS UP-PIPE, COBB TUNING 3" STAINLESS DOWNPIPE, COBB TUNING 3" STAINLESS CAT-BACK, TEIN H-TECH LOWERING SPRINGS, COBB TUNING SHORT SHIFTER

I want to know if those mods are alright and won't really effect the reliability of the car. It's an 05 with 32,xxx miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-02-2009, 10:47 AM

mosc is a helpful contributing member
Garage
They effect the reliability of the car, it's pushing 50-100% more power than stock!

The big question is: "who tuned it and can I see the dyno chart?". If the answer is "nobody", walk away.

04 STi 16G powered lagless fun
04 WRX: SOLD
#3 Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Well that car has probably been beaten to death...
#4 Old 01-02-2009, 01:25 PM
WRXtuners Member

alexc12389 is an unknown
so should i try to buy one that is stock? the site is Auto Exchange USA | Selling Dream Cars for Less | Maryland | Virginia | DC
#5 Old 01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
WRXtuners Member

new 'bru is an unknown
Why aren't you considering that sti for $23,000? Good price, low miles, and it doesn't seem to have a laundry list of mods. It seems that you don't want to buy a heavily modded turbo unless you can verify everything personally. I'd think that one doesn't beef the piss out of a car then drive like a granny.
#6 Old 01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
WRXtuners Member

alexc12389 is an unknown
Well i'm a freshman in college and my dad is helping me to pay for it so i'd rather have the more low-key wrx than an sti. I don't like the huge wing i don't want to attract too much attention when i'm driving haha. My limit is also 20gs I'd feel bad spending any more than that and i want the car to have around 50-60 thousand miles on it or less.
#7 Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 PM

Garage
Trunks can be swapped between the STi and WRX. Foglights too. My car has a WRX trunk on it and WRX fog lights. The STi is worth it long term. The tranny is much more robust along with laundry list of other improvements. Also, it has more displacement than the 02-05 WRX. Just saying, worth a look. Should be able to find one for ~$20k with ~50k miles in good shape.

#8 Old 01-02-2009, 05:10 PM
WRXtuners Member

tuner ready is an unknown
Like Mosc said, Subaru's are like Lego pieces... You can swap so many things between WRX's and STi's. Yeah things will be beatin' to death, but if you are going to be buying a used car with all those mods, ask yourself why are they selling it? Don't buy someone else's problems... Find one that is as stock as you can. Look for signs of missing heatshield, BOV's. CAI, etc. Those are the signs where you don't want to buy the car.
#9 Old 01-02-2009, 05:20 PM
WRXtuners Member

alexc12389 is an unknown
thanks guys, i found an sti with under 50k stock for 19gs, i'm still trying to convince my dad tho he'd rather me get an a4 if iwanted an awd car.
#10 Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Garage
Explain it to him this way:

A4 = Impreza 2.5
S4 = Impreza WRX
RS4 = Impreza WRX STi

except the Subarus are about half the price and last longer... Suby's are also quicker/better fuel efficency due to a lot less weight but hey, rough comparison.