Buying a used WRX/STi ? - Page 5 - Subaru WRX Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by moarlow View Post
100% newb to the WRX world. i havent even purchased the vehicle yet. After reading this thread i feel a little better about my choice. i would still like some of your opinions though.

A doctor that i work with recently offered to sell me his 2004 WRX (non sti)manual tranny with 145,000 miles for a GREAT price. car was serviced by subaru for all issues and regular service. interior is 8.5/10 and Exterior 9/10. The only issue currently with the car is the AC when out right before we deployed so that will be my only issue to fix. This wont be my only car its more of a second car or a family car that i plan to tastefully mod (bigger turbo, exhaust , tune, and interior).

My question is would it be smart to jump into this venture? i have a genesis coupe now so im not worried about down time on my subi but with such high miles regardless of prestine condition would it be a smart investment? He is pretty much giving me the car for 2500 and shipping to florida is 700 so about 3200 for everything thus far. Thanks for any input.
It'd be a bad idea to go heavy on mods and not replace the engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 76 Old 08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
WRXtuners Member

moarlow is an unknown
Any idea price wise what I'm looking at to replace the motor? Assuming the tranny is still good
post #63 of 76 Old 08-15-2013, 10:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by moarlow View Post
Any idea price wise what I'm looking at to replace the motor? Assuming the tranny is still good
Depends on what kind of motor you want, labor, etc. The 2004 5 spd isn't the strongest transmission either once you go big on power.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
post #64 of 76 Old 08-16-2013, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by turmic View Post
Depends on what kind of motor you want, labor, etc. The 2004 5 spd isn't the strongest transmission either once you go big on power.

If your looking upgrade the motor then expect to pay big dollars. Roughly $3500-4000 for a strong shortblock with plain rebuilt heads. Also don't forget all the nickel and dime stuff that you aren't thinking about when you swap a motor. If you can rebuild it yourself then you can save major dollars on labor. Best bet is to really plan out what your going to do ahead of time and select the right components before doing a built engine. 145k miles isn't all that bad, heck for that price you would make money turning around and selling it.

to me of course...
LW_Black4 likes this.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #65 of 76 Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 PM
WRXtuners Member

moarlow is an unknown
yea that might be what i end up doing at this point. thanks for the input guys i appreciate it.
post #66 of 76 Old 08-17-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Hmmm Fort Walton Beach...I suppose I could have a buddy come and pick that up for me...if the price is right.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #67 of 76 Old 09-05-2013, 10:54 AM
WRXtuners Member

Phorecaster is an unknown
I am looking forward to buying a WRX and this thread has been extremely helpful. It has also raised some questions in my search.

The biggest factor that will affect my purchase is price, so I am considering used as a first option. My wife being 1a to price's 1, isn't completely on board with a WRX, so to suit her I have to look at a hatch.

I like the look of the 2008+ hatch models, but especially the 2011+. I am only looking through dealerships because I would hope that they have had someone inspect the car before accepting the trade-in. Looking at the difference in pricing between all body style 2011+ used and the 2014 it looks like it ranges from ~$2500-$4500. It also appears that the hatch models are on the lower end of the price difference. This is for mileages of 15k-65k.

From reading it appears that WRXs are bought and quickly modded. Would it be true that a newer model wouldn't be as changed because the price of buying a new car would overwhelm the price of mods? Some of the photos/descriptions of the cars that the dealers have do show or describe what has been updated from stock, but that info is provided only on a small percentage of listings. If they are unadulterated, my next fear is what were the driving habits of the previous owner and why the quick trade-in.

With that being said the difference between a new 2014 and used 2011+ comparable model is ~$2500-$4500 with 9.5% sales tax, financed somewhere around 2.9% and possible savings in insurance. Is the price difference negligible enough that I should look to buy new? Are there any known issues that arise in WRXs within 2 years that aren't part of a recall or wouldn't be covered under a used warranty?

Moral of the story is that come hell or high water I am getting a WRX. But when a car is traded in 2 years and 20k miles after it was purchased I have my reservations.
post #68 of 76 Old 09-05-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

Well I am bias, but Subaru's over all are really great cars. That being said they do have some flaws like any other car. Few people really keep cars very long anymore and people like myself that have owned their car 10 years or more is unusual. I love my car and will keep it til it rusts away.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
post #69 of 76 Old 12-16-2013, 12:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

Rusty Farkel is an unknown
Yup, I agree with you on reliability, we have had ours 10 years and just had two cylinders go dead on us after 2,6000 miles. We both love this car and are unfortunately going to have to sell it for parts or to someone that wants to rebuild the motor. This was my wife's car and she wouldn't let me drive it unless she was with me (gee, I wonder why?) Old hot rodders never die they just have to be happy driving their truck. Hey anybody want to trade for a running car?

Rusty Farkel
post #70 of 76 Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 PM
tireguy502

I am new to the subaru world and just bought my first. It is a 2005 sti and so far I love it. The car is awesome and I feel like I got a great deal on it. It had a massive amount of receipts with it from all the mods. It was built by ams in Chicago. It has a stage 2 short block and 3.0xtr turbo. Perrin fmic cobb cat less down pipe. The heads are cleaned and have high flow valves and valve seats. I've been trying to baby the caruntil I get the time checked. Is there anything I should be watching for our do to try and prevent any major failures

post #71 of 76 Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful boo-key is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireguy502 View Post
I am new to the subaru world and just bought my first. It is a 2005 sti and so far I love it. The car is awesome and I feel like I got a great deal on it. It had a massive amount of receipts with it from all the mods. It was built by ams in Chicago. It has a stage 2 short block and 3.0xtr turbo. Perrin fmic cobb cat less down pipe. The heads are cleaned and have high flow valves and valve seats. I've been trying to baby the caruntil I get the time checked. Is there anything I should be watching for our do to try and prevent any major failures

Sounds nice. You should start a new thread though. As I saw another member say "don't be shy, give it a try". And post up some pics.
sleepr and arewmors like this.

Adair
06' wrx tr
Phatbotti tuned!
post #72 of 76 Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 AM
WRXtuners Member

JLWRX is an unknown
Hey subaru owners. I am a young guy that has been reading up tunning. I wanna buy an 07 but I'm confused on weather I should get a wrx or sti.. I'm not interested in rally or competitions, I just want a dope suabru, and have some mods, maybe like 450 HO would be my max, any advise for me? I've never tuned a car before and I am a rookie in all this, but you got to start somewhere I guess..
post #73 of 76 Old 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM
WRXtuners Member

Brockton is a helpful contributing member
Garage
450hp on a wrx is a lot for the tranny to handle. If that is your power goal get a STI, the 6 speed can handle a lot more abuse than the 5 speed. Even then getting 450hp reliably is going to take a lot of money and work.
post #74 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 11:51 AM
WRXtuners Member

Dimitri Pana is an unknown
Don't know what to do new the Subaru game

Im just signed up and looking for a subaru wrx sti I found two of them one that is a Subaru 2.5 RS 2004 Swapped STI 2006 and the other is a subaru impreza wrx sti for 13k with 98k kms ! Which one would should i actually take a better look at. I want to make sure this car is in good even great condition! I also can send the links, I live in Montreal
post #75 of 76 Old 10-01-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
WRXtuners Member

I would never buy a swapped car ever. If I did the swap it would be one thing, but there is so much that can be wrong with a car that has a swapped motor.
Brockton likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...