Buying a used WRX/STi ? - Page 4 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#46 Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
It's all good, good luck

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#47 Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

Lou845 is an unknown
New hear, I have gone through this hole thread and found things to look out for, but I'm looking for some honest opinions, I have an 03 325ci that I'm trying to get rid of and found a trade for a 02 wrx, it has 116k miles on it and was tuned at efi logics in ct. It has exhaust and cai, my question is do you guys think it's worth it for me to trade ? The bug eye is my favorite car and has been for a while so im love struck rite now, I don't wanna trade my BMW with 61k to fall into possible issues. Any help would be awesome. Thanks !
#48 Old 01-03-2012, 06:47 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Oh boy.... Get rid of the BMW and buy anything other than a dodge and you should be okay. Well since you know what to look for take the info and go test drive the car. If by chance you do buy it put the stock air box back on it.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#49 Old 01-03-2012, 07:34 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinuse View Post
Oh boy.... Get rid of the BMW and buy anything other than a dodge and you should be okay. Well since you know what to look for take the info and go test drive the car. If by chance you do buy it put the stock air box back on it.
Well...if EFI Logics tuned for the CAI. Then its fine to keep running the CAI. Just avoid water puddles and standing water. If you suck up some water into the intake and get it into the engine. Then your looking into some serious damage. Just be smart.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#50 Old 05-29-2013, 08:05 AM
WRXtuners Member

TortugaWRX is an unknown
I honestly wish I seen this forum before I purchased my 02 wrx wagon. I've only had it for a month got it from the dealership with 76k and a month later I had to replace my clutch which cost me 1300 to get it fixed. Great forum excellent suggestions and burning a clutch made me realize I have to put money aside for my baby Roxanne lol
#51 Old 05-29-2013, 04:05 PM
WRXtuners Member

pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful pzr2874 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
That's what buying used is all about..... you should be glad it was only the clutch.

Paul
2007 XT
2007 MS3
#52 Old 05-30-2013, 08:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Garage
I hope you
Just put in s factory replacement and not a stage two or three or something.
Think of your clutch like you think of a fuse in a harness. If the fuse wasn't there, you could burn something up easily. Well your clutch can act as the same for your tranny, and they aren't $1500 new

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#53 Old 05-30-2013, 05:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Fidrat is more helpful than not
I would say look for the tranny code "BA". But that's just me and that shouldn't be a deal breaker but it would be for me.

The sensation is as hard to forget as it is to ignore!!!
#54 Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM
WRXtuners Member

mlese92 is an unknown
Whats up guys. I am a complete noob when it comes to subarus and wanted the opinion of people who knew what they were talking about. I'm am looking at an '02 subaru wrx that has a built sti motor with only 25,000 miles. Like i said i don't know anything about subarus and im basically wondering how reliable this car would be. It would be my daily driver and i don't plan on really racing it or anything like that right away. Here is the posting: 2002 Subaru WRX 300+ HP
Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.
#55 Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlese92 View Post
Whats up guys. I am a complete noob when it comes to subarus and wanted the opinion of people who knew what they were talking about. I'm am looking at an '02 subaru wrx that has a built sti motor with only 25,000 miles. Like i said i don't know anything about subarus and im basically wondering how reliable this car would be. It would be my daily driver and i don't plan on really racing it or anything like that right away. Here is the posting: 2002 Subaru WRX 300+ HP
Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'd be asking all kinds of questions about that car before I even thought about buying it. Looks good and I do like black, but all those mods you are probably buying someone elses problems..
mlese92 likes this.

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#56 Old 06-02-2013, 06:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

mlese92 is an unknown
Quote:
I'd be asking all kinds of questions about that car before I even thought about buying it. Looks good and I do like black, but all those mods you are probably buying someone elses problems..
Yeah what exactly should I be looking for and or ask when I go to look at the car? I talked to the guy and he says mechanically its solid which obviously anyone can say but I realistically only plan on driving the car for about two years while I'm in school and wouldn't be driving it hard or anything like that.
#57 Old 06-02-2013, 06:52 PM
WRXtuners Member

Asked who tuned it, why was the motor built in it, does it have an upgraded transmission or at least a better gearset and after you find out who tuned it find out from the tuner how the car performed on the dyno if possible. Also ask for sheets showing the modification list and who installed it...I know it seem like a lot to ask, but trust me on this. I have been working with these cars for a while now and I have seen my fair share of crappy used modified WRXs...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#58 Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
WRXtuners Member

thekamikaze kid is more helpful than not
i think the number one question should be is why hes selling!
#59 Old 06-03-2013, 03:37 AM
WRXtuners Member

mlese92 is an unknown
Quote:
Asked who tuned it, why was the motor built in it, does it have an upgraded transmission or at least a better gearset and after you find out who tuned it find out from the tuner how the car performed on the dyno if possible. Also ask for sheets showing the modification list and who installed it...I know it seem like a lot to ask, but trust me on this. I have been working with these cars for a while now and I have seen my fair share of crappy used modified WRXs...
Ok thank you for the help. It says the motor was built by motion lab tuning so I'll try and give them a call.
#60 Old 08-15-2013, 06:32 PM
WRXtuners Member

moarlow is an unknown
100% newb to the WRX world. i havent even purchased the vehicle yet. After reading this thread i feel a little better about my choice. i would still like some of your opinions though.

A doctor that i work with recently offered to sell me his 2004 WRX (non sti)manual tranny with 145,000 miles for a GREAT price. car was serviced by subaru for all issues and regular service. interior is 8.5/10 and Exterior 9/10. The only issue currently with the car is the AC when out right before we deployed so that will be my only issue to fix. This wont be my only car its more of a second car or a family car that i plan to tastefully mod (bigger turbo, exhaust , tune, and interior).

My question is would it be smart to jump into this venture? i have a genesis coupe now so im not worried about down time on my subi but with such high miles regardless of prestine condition would it be a smart investment? He is pretty much giving me the car for 2500 and shipping to florida is 700 so about 3200 for everything thus far. Thanks for any input.