Buying a used WRX/STi ? - Page 3 - Subaru WRX Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#31 Old 12-24-2011, 02:47 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
A turbo off a diesel? Hmm, havent seen that often. If it were me, I would keep looking. But maybe thats just me having blinders on, following the crowd.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 12-24-2011, 04:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Send a message via AIM to turmic
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishHooligan81 View Post
The car was reconstructed it was previously wrecked I am purchasing it off a guy from Pittsburgh, Supposedly it had a built 2.5 in it and the current turbo setup is off a cummings turbo diesel. It's got 1000cc injectors and an upgraded fuel pump and supposedly manly rods and a grimmspeed intake. I just was looking for some help. Thanks

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free
Why would he mentioned upgraded rods and not pistons? Plus, why would you go through the trouble of making a cummins turbo compatiable on a subaru? That sounds like a hell of a lot of trouble for a turbo that is meant for something that has more cylinders and generates more exhaust pressure sooner. I guess you can take it for a test drive, but it sounds like a project that will be a money pit if the car falls apart.

Kirt
378awhp/373wtq Custom Dom 3 & CBRD tuned 2006 STI.
"When in doubt...flat out" - Colin McRae
#33 Old 12-24-2011, 05:37 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Lots of people use them on DSM's they even have a special turbine housing made to fit the compressor and bolt up to the factory manifold. Won't take to much work if you went rotated, but then again what do I know....

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#34 Old 12-24-2011, 06:42 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I am one of those guys that never owned a DSM before becoming a subie fanatic. I had aircooled VWs and a couple ford products in different configurations before I came to the right side, lol. I just dont get with all the options out there now-a-days for any generation of these cars, to use something that was not intended for it. I mean you want rotated, pick a number, Im sure you can find about that many websites selling a rotated setup (within a reasonable number that is for you smarta$$es out there, lol). But like Kirt said, you want a project, sounds like the perfect one.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#35 Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
Well the Holsets that come on the Dodge Diesels is cheap and big. Getting it to mate to the down pipe and up pipe is just a matter of finding someone to weld it for you. Tuning on the other hand, well it's like any other big turboed Subaru...lag, lag, lag, lag, lag, lag, lag, BOOST, SHIFT!

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#36 Old 12-24-2011, 07:22 PM
WRXtuners Member

turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to turmic is a WRX expert worth listening to
Power is always a downshift away. If you can't get moving in first...especially a 6 sp'd first. Then its user error and not the car holding you back.

Kirt
#37 Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 PM
WRXtuners Member

Try a 6.8:1 compression motor with a 20g and a stock 5 speed....lol

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#38 Old 12-24-2011, 08:00 PM
WRXtuners Member

Sure, bring it to hershey.

Kirt
#39 Old 12-24-2011, 08:02 PM
WRXtuners Member

Oh you don't know how tempting that is my good sir...

03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#40 Old 12-24-2011, 10:28 PM
WRXtuners Member

IrishHooligan81 is an unknown
Well that's why I am looking for some guidance but I am excited about getting to own a subie cause I know how great they are!

#41 Old 12-25-2011, 07:04 AM
WRXtuners Member

I don't know that much about it either I am going to take it for a ride after he gets it tuned I don't even know what I should be looking for or for that matter what are normal noises I should be expecting.

#42 Old 12-25-2011, 09:41 AM

If you are just getting into these cars, this is one you do not want to get into then. When mine was stock I was intimidated by it. And thats after doing an unconventional engine swap in my focus, running an ungodly amount of speakers and tvs in another car, and owning a few aircooled VWs. When you run into a problem, its going to be that much harder to diagnose and for you to figure out not knowing what right looks like or anything. If you really want it, then by all means no one can make up your mind, but yourself. Just realize what you might be getting yourself into.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#43 Old 12-26-2011, 07:07 PM
WRXtuners Member

It was really the only one I could find in my price range but I have been looking for a while to what aRe some things I should look for?

#44 Old 12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
WRXtuners Member

BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful BLAZE2099 is known to be trustworthy and helpful
I don't wanna sound ignorant, but go back to page one of this thread and start reading again

Randy-
2002 blaze WRX- sold:(
2004 Wrx-sold
2011 Wrx limited
99 Fozz- sold
Eagle eye crew
#45 Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
WRXtuners Member

My bad man I'm new to forums first time user I'm still learning the ropes thanks