Subaru WRX Forum banner

Buying a used WRX/STi ?

170K views 91 replies 37 participants last post by  Reilly M 
#1 · (Edited)
So you have decided to go out and purchase that sweet sweet WRX you've seen sitting on the car lot down the road. The price seems right, but it has a lot of miles on it. Well if that's the case then please sit back and read this before you go out and buy someone else's problems...

As with any used car common sense and a bit of knowledge go a long way and in the end can save you money, who doesn't want that. There are a few important things to look for when buying a used WRX. This is a small list of things to check for:

1) Does the car have service records and a carfax?

2) Check the oil on the dipstick to see if it's even at the right level. If the dipstick has a milky oil this is bad as the head gasket is blown, just walk away at that moment.

3) Walk around the car looking for misaligned panels and changes in paint brightness, usually this indicates damage and repair.

4) Check the trans fluid dipstick for discoloration and level.

5) Check the tires for wear. Also make sure they are all the same size and and have even tread wear, if not this indicates an alignment is needed.

6) Take a spark plug wrench with you and take out one of the plugs, you can do this somewhere away from the lot if needed.

7) Rent, borrow, buy a code reader to check for any codes that may be stored.

8) Take the car for a test drive to see if the car shifts okay, if not this could be expensive and this is more so on the older models.

9) Check the air filter.

10) Look for signs of upgrades, usually in the forum of exhaust, intake, etc.

11) Take someone with you that knows these cars well.

12) Ask a bunch of questions, if the dealer doesn't know the answer then talk him down in price, because you'll need the money later and you should get the best deal anyway.

13) Check the brakes while on your test drive, they should be firm but not jerky. If the pedal bounces up and down the rotors are warped easy fix, but pay less money.

14) Check the brake fluid level.

15) Check the clutch fluid level.

16) Check the power steering fluid level.

17) If possible check the timing belt, it's a few small bolts and you can see it. This is also expensive if it breaks.

18) Check to make sure the car has no leaks, this can be done after the test drive.

More than likely the car has had a rough life, so be prepared, especially if it's had more than 1 owner and has modifications. It may be shiny, but that shine will dull if the car is a lemon.

p.s. One more thing I wanna add. This may sound harsh of me, but it has to be said. These cars can get costly just in normal maintenance alone, so you have to ask yourself, can you afford to fix something if it breaks? Can you be without the car if you can't? If you modify the car save money in a slush fund for that, "OH S**T!!!" moment and trust me it will happen.

p.s.s. Also have some pictures of what the stock engine bay looks like and stock exhaust. Most importantly EDUCATE YOURSELF BEFORE BUYING!!!! That alone will save you money.

Added by Man Show:

Normal maintenance (aside from oil changes, roughly every 30k is a semi-major maintenance milestone where almost every fluid/filter/other miscellaneous parts should be drained/flushed/replaced): Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

Generally, I like to buy the best materials I can "reasonably" find/afford. I rationalize the additional cost of the good stuff by thinking about how much money I save in labor doing everything myself. Fortunately for me, I have accumulated a pretty decent set of basic hand tools w/ some extra gadgets and a nice floor jack/stands along with a set of 56" Race Ramps which makes certain jobs much easier. The internet is full of great write ups with pictures and videos to help you gain the knowledge and confidence to tackle just about any job.

30k maintenance: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f51/30k-maintenance-how-much-did-co-t-you-25604/30K Maintenance = How much did it co$t you?

60k maintenance:http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/60-000-mile-maintenance-28437/ 60,000 Mile Maintenance

90k maintenance: http://www.wrxtuners.com/forums/f75/90-000-mile-maintenance-timing-belt-30429/90,000 Mile Maintenance & Timing Belt

Not everybody agrees with my oil change philosophy, but since mile 0, I have been changing my oil with synthetic (Redline or Royal Purple 5w30) every 3,000 miles and OEM oil filters. Every time I do that, it costs me about $50, but I also have a FuMoto oil drain valve which makes that job much easier

Roughly 5 months ago, my transmission failed because I was driving like an idiot and the shockloading sheared most of the teeth off of several of my gears. My car is in the shop right now waiting for a set of stock ratio Albins helical 1-5 gears which will set me back roughly $4,500 in parts alone (+ labor). That's one of the rare "oh crap" moments that we advise new WRX owners to save up for.

blew-my-07-trans-tonight

Pics of the carnage:IAG Performance / 2007 WRX Transmission J. Kimmel

I would consider myself somewhat of a Subaru enthusiast, so to me, this stuff isn't really anything out of the ordinary. I also apologize that I had too much coffee and I was bored this morning, but hopefully I have answered your question.

Also would like to add this post from turmic in here:

used-sti-buyers-guide

See less See more
#42 ·
If you are just getting into these cars, this is one you do not want to get into then. When mine was stock I was intimidated by it. And thats after doing an unconventional engine swap in my focus, running an ungodly amount of speakers and tvs in another car, and owning a few aircooled VWs. When you run into a problem, its going to be that much harder to diagnose and for you to figure out not knowing what right looks like or anything. If you really want it, then by all means no one can make up your mind, but yourself. Just realize what you might be getting yourself into.

#47 ·
New hear, I have gone through this hole thread and found things to look out for, but I'm looking for some honest opinions, I have an 03 325ci that I'm trying to get rid of and found a trade for a 02 wrx, it has 116k miles on it and was tuned at efi logics in ct. It has exhaust and cai, my question is do you guys think it's worth it for me to trade ? The bug eye is my favorite car and has been for a while so im love struck rite now, I don't wanna trade my BMW with 61k to fall into possible issues. Any help would be awesome. Thanks !

#48 ·
Oh boy.... Get rid of the BMW and buy anything other than a dodge and you should be okay. Well since you know what to look for take the info and go test drive the car. If by chance you do buy it put the stock air box back on it.

#49 ·
Well...if EFI Logics tuned for the CAI. Then its fine to keep running the CAI. Just avoid water puddles and standing water. If you suck up some water into the intake and get it into the engine. Then your looking into some serious damage. Just be smart.

#50 ·
I honestly wish I seen this forum before I purchased my 02 wrx wagon. I've only had it for a month got it from the dealership with 76k and a month later I had to replace my clutch which cost me 1300 to get it fixed. Great forum excellent suggestions and burning a clutch made me realize I have to put money aside for my baby Roxanne lol

#52 ·
I hope you
Just put in s factory replacement and not a stage two or three or something.
Think of your clutch like you think of a fuse in a harness. If the fuse wasn't there, you could burn something up easily. Well your clutch can act as the same for your tranny, and they aren't $1500 new;)

#54 ·
Whats up guys. I am a complete noob when it comes to subarus and wanted the opinion of people who knew what they were talking about. I'm am looking at an '02 subaru wrx that has a built sti motor with only 25,000 miles. Like i said i don't know anything about subarus and im basically wondering how reliable this car would be. It would be my daily driver and i don't plan on really racing it or anything like that right away. Here is the posting: 2002 Subaru WRX 300+ HP
Thanks in advance and any help would be greatly appreciated.

#55 ·
I'd be asking all kinds of questions about that car before I even thought about buying it. Looks good and I do like black, but all those mods you are probably buying someone elses problems..

#57 ·
Asked who tuned it, why was the motor built in it, does it have an upgraded transmission or at least a better gearset and after you find out who tuned it find out from the tuner how the car performed on the dyno if possible. Also ask for sheets showing the modification list and who installed it...I know it seem like a lot to ask, but trust me on this. I have been working with these cars for a while now and I have seen my fair share of crappy used modified WRXs...

#60 ·
100% newb to the WRX world. i havent even purchased the vehicle yet. After reading this thread i feel a little better about my choice. i would still like some of your opinions though.

A doctor that i work with recently offered to sell me his 2004 WRX (non sti)manual tranny with 145,000 miles for a GREAT price. car was serviced by subaru for all issues and regular service. interior is 8.5/10 and Exterior 9/10. The only issue currently with the car is the AC when out right before we deployed so that will be my only issue to fix. This wont be my only car its more of a second car or a family car that i plan to tastefully mod (bigger turbo, exhaust , tune, and interior).

My question is would it be smart to jump into this venture? i have a genesis coupe now so im not worried about down time on my subi but with such high miles regardless of prestine condition would it be a smart investment? He is pretty much giving me the car for 2500 and shipping to florida is 700 so about 3200 for everything thus far. Thanks for any input.

#67 ·
I am looking forward to buying a WRX and this thread has been extremely helpful. It has also raised some questions in my search.

The biggest factor that will affect my purchase is price, so I am considering used as a first option. My wife being 1a to price's 1, isn't completely on board with a WRX, so to suit her I have to look at a hatch.

I like the look of the 2008+ hatch models, but especially the 2011+. I am only looking through dealerships because I would hope that they have had someone inspect the car before accepting the trade-in. Looking at the difference in pricing between all body style 2011+ used and the 2014 it looks like it ranges from ~$2500-$4500. It also appears that the hatch models are on the lower end of the price difference. This is for mileages of 15k-65k.

From reading it appears that WRXs are bought and quickly modded. Would it be true that a newer model wouldn't be as changed because the price of buying a new car would overwhelm the price of mods? Some of the photos/descriptions of the cars that the dealers have do show or describe what has been updated from stock, but that info is provided only on a small percentage of listings. If they are unadulterated, my next fear is what were the driving habits of the previous owner and why the quick trade-in.

With that being said the difference between a new 2014 and used 2011+ comparable model is ~$2500-$4500 with 9.5% sales tax, financed somewhere around 2.9% and possible savings in insurance. Is the price difference negligible enough that I should look to buy new? Are there any known issues that arise in WRXs within 2 years that aren't part of a recall or wouldn't be covered under a used warranty?

Moral of the story is that come hell or high water I am getting a WRX. But when a car is traded in 2 years and 20k miles after it was purchased I have my reservations.

#68 ·
Well I am bias, but Subaru's over all are really great cars. That being said they do have some flaws like any other car. Few people really keep cars very long anymore and people like myself that have owned their car 10 years or more is unusual. I love my car and will keep it til it rusts away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.