Buying new wrx, some questions. - Subaru WRX Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 Old 07-30-2012, 01:15 AM
WRXtuners Member

jilty is an unknown
Buying new wrx, some questions.

HI,
I am currently waiting on my local dealer to call me and let me know I can finally come and order one of my dream cars. Now since it will be a car I use daily and will be keeping for a while, since I am selling my first car I ever bought, a 98 3000gt for this car, it will be my only transportation. With all that said I would like to have it to be a fun as possible.

I will be getting the 2013 premium hatch WRX. Now my actual questions.

1. STI short throw shifter. Is it worth it? Should I wait and buy the Cobb adjustable I was looking at?

2. Boost Gauge. I have heard the light goes out fairly often, and I dont plan on boosting pressure too much or using a different turbo for a while, just mainly like the idea of having it.Is it worth it?

3. I have been looking into the Cobb stage 2 package (accessport, downpipe, high flow catalytic converter and catback exhaust). I live in CA, so will this just be a waste? Or should I just plan on doing a swap of parts every 2 years to run emissions check?

4. I plan on buying a Cobb short ram intake and BOV by .....you guessed it, Cobb. I always liked the way a short ram or cai look, but really, I want the noise. So with the BOV will I have any issues like it running rich if it were to dump the air instead of recycling?

5. Suspension. Should I just roll with it stock a while, or go and get rear and front sway bars, strut tower, and i was looking at tanabe springs for a meaner, lower stance? Thoughts?

Sorry such a long winded first post, but ive been stressing these for a while and im just not sure yet. Thanks for any replies and help or input of any kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2012, 11:46 AM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Send a message via Yahoo to newtothegame
Welcome to the club. I would skip on the STI/SPT short shifter. Get the Cobb and front/rear bushings, much better (at least in the older models). Im not sure how strict the emissions are there. The DP does have a cat in it, so idk if you will pass or not. But that whole Cobb setup is nice, I ran it for several years and love the fit, finish, sound and ease of use. I too also run the Cobb sri and BOV. I run the BOV full recirc as I honestly cant stand the sound, but at 50/50 my AFRs were all spot on. These cars usually dont like the full atmospheric thing and if I were you I would not do it either, the sound vs. performance is way not worth it. Skip the strut bars, but the rear sway alone will make a huge difference in handling. And many on here will tell you not to run spring with out upgraded struts, and even then you have to match the two together so as you dont sacrifice performance for some goofy look.

Joshua
"2007 WRX- PPG'd, 20G- Tim Bailey tuned
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#3 Old 07-30-2012, 03:42 PM
WRXtuners Member

psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to psinuse is a WRX expert worth listening to
If you live in Cali make sure whatever parts you buy have the CARB exemption number. They are getting picker about that, even on simple things like air filters...

1) Don't waste your money on the short throw from SPT. Do as newtothegame said and replace the bushings for now.

2) Don't waste the money on the factory boost gauge. Get an aftermarket one.

3) Plan on doing the swap unless the parts are CARB exempt, even then..

4) SRI and BOV are only need once you have gotten the other basic upgrades done. I really don't see the need for a BOV other than factory unless you are doing crazy turbo swaps or running 20+psi in boost. The factory BPV on the newer cars isn't as good as the older models, but I still stand by what I said. Now I have heard that on the newer cars get a bigger benefit from the SRI than the older models, but your looking at tuning if you get one so to me spend the money else where.

5)Tires, get a good set of tires before any suspension mods. More importantly, learn to drive your car stock before doing any crazy modding to it.

Your post was not long and winded, you used good english and for the most part proper grammar. Welcome to the WRX Express.

Resident Grumpy Old Man(Keith)
03 SRP 2.34L
08' LGT Gears...
#4 Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
WRXtuners Member

jilty is an unknown
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. They helped me a lot. I have decided that I will probably get the short throw shifter from Cobb and bushings first. Also at the same time get a rear sway. I was thinking cusco, thoughts? I have seen that these are the most noticeable upgrades at the beginning. I will wait and purchase the stage two kit and sri at the same time, since the accessport has the maps and will tune it. I will just deal with the swapping every two years, i'm already doing that with my current car. Ill take your guys advice and stay away from that other stuff until I am fully comfortable with my car.

Lastly, what are your thoughts on the new navigation? I figured it was just a nav/mp3/cd player. But I saw a video where there were gauges and such on the screen at one point. That looked kind of cool. Worth the 1k price?
#5 Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 PM

newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful newtothegame is known to be trustworthy and helpful
Cusco is pretty good from what I hear, pricey, but good. Im not sure about the new NAV and its features. If you get sways be sure to get new/upgraded endlinks also.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#6 Old 07-30-2012, 08:45 PM
WRXtuners Member

jilty is an unknown
Thanks will do. I appreciate the help.
#7 Old 07-30-2012, 08:46 PM

Not a problem. Thats why we are here. Just let us know if you have more questions and let us know how things go.

Joshua
Stage 2 2005 WRX
Cobbtuning.com"
#8 Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
WRXtuners Member

jilty is an unknown
I will def do that. I just am waiting for the dealer to call me and say "come order this car". I will be there in a heartbeat. I have read people have had nightmare run ins with suburu dealers, mostly with STI sales I guess, so hopefully my deal runs smooth. First time buying a brand new car and im hoping I dont get taken for a ride haha.