Subaru WRX Forum banner

Buying Guide for 2005 WRX

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  pzr2874 
#1 ·
There's a 2005 WRX (non-STI) wagon here in town with 48k miles on it for $14k.
I took it for a test drive and it felt great. The dealership let me call up the previous owner (also the only owner) and he was a 60 year old gentleman who purchased it out in Colorado for the snow. I came away trusting that he took good mechanical care of it.

Are there any mechanical issues typical of the WRX or the '05 specifically that I should look out for when I take it for my second test drive? I want this car to last a minimum of 5 years and I would love it if I could squeeze out 10. I'm looking for moderate performance with solid reliability. I may move back up north into the snow so the AWD is appealing, but I love the way it hugs the road even without the snow :)

What are your thoughts/concerns with my purchase? I'm used to driving Toyota and Honda and I've never had to take a car in for more than tires/breaks/exhaust issues. I'm wondering if the added complexity of the turbo will increase my maintenance costs. Would it be worth driving to an outside mechanic before I buy it?

I appreciate any advice you have before I make this purchase.

Thanks!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Subies do have a high maintenance cost. But the older owner probably kept up with it all and didn't beat the piss outta her. Might be a good buy except the 14K pricetag. They might do 14K OTD...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.